PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch's Fines if he holds out till game 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

smg93

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As far as I can tell there were 27 practices (please correct the number if it's wrong) that DB has missed. At 14k per practice that comes out to $378,000. If he is slated to make about $1.045 million this year and we divide that by 16 games that comes to $65,312.50 per game. If he holds out till the tenth game, that means he would have been out for nine games which would total $587,812.50.

$378,000 plus $587,812.50 equals $965,812.50. That means DB will be owed only $79,187.50 for the 7 games (10th -16th games) that he'll be active. Now that's a bargain! The $ per game goes even lower when you factor in post season play which I'm extremely confident that we'll be a part of again this season.

Even with that, how many on this board would be willing to get a job that pays them 80k for seven weeks work? The Pats get a bargain from a salary standpoint for sure but in real world dollars, that's still a good chunk of change.

Last edited:
Going to be difficult to feed his family...

Once the games start he is no longer fined. He just forfeits the game checks..

I think BB and Pioli will suspend him. I don't think they will allow him to rejoin the team at week 10. I wouldn't.

aabtec said:
Once the games start he is no longer fined. He just forfeits the game checks..
That's what smg93's calculations were. His training camp fines would come close to equally what's left of his game checks if he sat out until week 10.

smg93 said:
As far as I can tell there were 27 practices (please correct the number if it's wrong) that DB has missed. At 14k per practice that comes out to $378,000. If he is slated to make about $1.045 million this year and we divide that by 16 games that comes to $65,312.50 per game. If he holds out till the tenth game, that means he would have been out for nine games which would total $587,812.50.

$378,000 plus $587,812.50 equals $965,812.50. That means DB will be owed only $79,187.50 for the 7 games (10th -16th games) that he'll be active. Now that's a bargain! The $ per game goes even lower when you factor in post season play which I'm extremely confident that we'll be a part of again this season.

Even with that, how many on this board would be willing to get a job that pays them 80k for seven weeks work? The Pats get a bargain from a salary standpoint for sure but in real world dollars, that's still a good chunk of change.

Players are paid in the post-season by a fund. so IF the pats get to the play-offs he will be compensated for those post season games...

Overall however...unless he gets a new deal he will be hurting in the wallet... until he goes unrestricted and signs with another team...

smg93 said:

I was always under the impression that fines were not assessed per practice, or even only for days when they are expected to be with the team

A player is expected to report by a certain date. Every day he fails to report after that he can be assessed a fine of up to $14,000 a day.

It doesn't matter how many practices the team has - it doesn't matter if the players are given a monday off by the coaches - if the player has failed to report he can be fined $14 k a day

By my math that means that as of day 75 of the holdout, Branch will have exhausted his 2006 salary, well in advance of week 10.

But I'm not positive that's how it works.. I'm sure the details of the CBA would provide the answer

One rule is if Branch is on the active (53-man) roster for the first regular season game the Pat's are required to pay his salary, less any fines. The salary is pro-rated for each regular season game. Therefore the Pat's often go into the first regular season game with less than 53 on the active roster.

Excluding reserve lists, a player not on the active roster for the first regular season game is paid only for the games when they were on the active roster.

Last edited:
KY Pats Fan said:
I think BB and Pioli will suspend him. I don't think they will allow him to rejoin the team at week 10. I wouldn't.

i have no problem with this. i say franchise him and if he sits out again, remove the franchise as late as possible while waiting for a trade.

I think that it is what there is to do. of how much could be the fine? $$

Last edited:
lobster said:
One rule is if Branch is on the active (53-man) roster for the first regular season game the Pat's are required to pay his salary, less any fines. The salary is pro-rated for each regular season game. Therefore the Pat's often go into the first regular season game with less than 53 on the active roster.

A player not on the active roster for the first regular season game is paid only for the games when they were on the active roster.

But
Is a player in this situation on the 53-man roster, or the Reserve/Failed to Report list (exact wording may be off slightly.)

I'm not sure that a team has to hold a spot open for a player who is holding out.

Urgent said:
But
Is a player in this situation on the 53-man roster, or the Reserve/Failed to Report list (exact wording may be off slightly.)

I'm not sure that a team has to hold a spot open for a player who is holding out.

He is a very important player in this equipment ;)

I just read an article that says the fine is 14k per day. I'm still not sure if you get fined double if it's a two a day type situation. But let's say it was a daily fine no matter how many practices there were in a particular day, that would still come out to 21 days of training camp. 21 times 14k equals 298k.

298k plus 587,812.50 equals 885,812.50. The pats would only have to pay DB $159,187.50 for the seven regular season games he plays. That's still a bargain.

The team CAN levy the fines. If Branch comes in - do you all really think he will be asked to pay the fine? C'mon. Kraft will make some donation to his favorite charity on Branch's behalf and everyone will be happy. Sure, Branch will pay for half his salary after sitting out for more? Get real.

Garbanza said:
The team CAN levy the fines. If Branch comes in - do you all really think he will be asked to pay the fine? C'mon. Kraft will make some donation to his favorite charity on Branch's behalf and everyone will be happy. Sure, Branch will pay for half his salary after sitting out for more? Get real.

I think, that Branch would have To be fined by the Pats

I edited my message for players who are on a Reserve-injured list. There are also special situation lists, like Reserve-military, which almost certainly require NFL approval.

smg93 said:
I just read an article that says the fine is 14k per day. I'm still not sure if you get fined double if it's a two a day type situation. But let's say it was a daily fine no matter how many practices there were in a particular day, that would still come out to 21 days of training camp. 21 times 14k equals 298k.

298k plus 587,812.50 equals 885,812.50. The pats would only have to pay DB $159,187.50 for the seven regular season games he plays. That's still a bargain.

The reason you read that it's $14k per day is because it's $14k per day.

I've never seen anything suggesting that it has anything to do with per practice, or per day of practice, or per pre-season game.

Simple math - multiply $14k by the number of days since training camp opened and I believe you have your cumulative fine.

If its more complicated than that its news to me.

And frankly I have no idea why the Patriots would waste a spot on the Active Roster, guaranteeing his 2006 Salary for a guy who continues to hold out as of Game 1.

Last edited:
Garbanza said:
I know what you're saying, of course I wouldn't be surprised if all fines were 'forgiven' if he reports tomorrow. But if he actually sits out until week 10, and the Pats plan on tagging him next year... then sure, why not asses the fines? I mean if you're going to make an example out of him (as they have been doing by taking the extension offers off the table for not reporting), then do it all the way.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I know what you're saying, of course I wouldn't be surprised if all fines were 'forgiven' if he reports tomorrow. But if he actually sits out until week 10, and the Pats plan on tagging him next year... then sure, why not asses the fines? I mean if you're going to make an example out of him (as they have been doing by taking the extension offers off the table for not reporting), then do it all the way.

If he reports, I'm of the belief that the fines will not be applied. Seems to be the consensus around teh Boston media - especially media members that were once players. My guess is that they know what really goes on far more than me or you.

Garbanza said:
If he reports, I'm of the belief that the fines will not be applied. Seems to be the consensus around teh Boston media - especially media members that were once players. My guess is that they know what really goes on far more than me or you.

IF he shows up before game 1, the fines will PROBABLY be waived.

But if his holdout contunues beyone the first regular season game. I doubt if the fines will be waived. An example has to be made.

I don't think any of the media, who were once players, have dealt with a situation like this. Also, they have not dealt with a guy like BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes