Welcome to PatsFans.com

Branch's Agent Still Yapping

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by MoLewisrocks, Jul 28, 2006.

1. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Tom Curren's scathing piece yesterday blaming the agent must have gotten Jason's attention. It appears they spoke yesterday. Unfortunately he's still basically playing the poor Deion card. Claims this isn't just about this contract (Chayut wants closer to $7M per), it's continued hard feelings about the 5 year rookie deal and now he adds a contract offer after the 2004 season that was insulting.

Says Deion will come in without a contract only if they agree to not use the franchise tag on him. Curren explains why teams are reluctant to do that.

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060728_28patsjo.f300bc.html

On another sour note, Shefter on NFL Total Access tonight said to be prepared for a protracted holdout, into the season.
  2. Alk

Alk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

$7 million per? :eek: Can we just trade this clown and be done with it? If that's what he thinks he's worth, I would rather go into the season with Klecko at WR.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

When Seymour, had his famous silence holdout last year, everyone remained quiet on his front... the tactics of Chayut will only polarize his from the Pats organization. If I were Branch I would tell this guy to STFU and negotiate with the Pats not the press.
  4. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Bridge for sale

Just FYI: I've got a couple of sweeeeet bridges over the Aroostook river for sale, and my prices are so low, they're insane.
  5. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

It is getting sadder and sadder every day....U wish we could trade him, but I doubt we would get full value...NOT worth it...If this turns out positive in anyway, more will follow this path...but it doesn't at all look good now.
  6. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -1

#12 Jersey

To hell with both of them then. I hope that the Patriots make him sit, and if he tries to come back, send him home. 7$ million a year? Chayut, put down the crack pipe and slowly walk away.
  7. sarge

sarge Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

7 Million a year????

Come on!

And why should the team remove or feel obligated to remove the franchise tag?

If he gets franchised, he gets paid top five receiver money, and he isn't a top 5 receiver.

This is not going to end pretty guys.

It is a no win situation.
  8. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +401 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

I do not get his agent's problem with the franchise tag.

IMO, the following would be ideal for Deion
    1.) Play the 2006 season for the Pats - $1 million salary
    2.) Play the 2007 season for the Pats under the franchise tag - $7.635 million - my estimate
    3.)Play the 2008 season for the Pats under the franchise tag again - $9.162 million
    4.) Get a double-digit signing bonus in 2009.

But that's me.

Rather than tell the Pats that my client does not want to be tagged, I would tell the Patriots
    1.) my client will not holdout
    2.) the Pats and I have until the beginning of the season to get a deal done.
    3.) If a deal is not done, my client will sign his 2007 franchise tender only if it includes a promise that he will not be tagged in 2008.
    4.) If a deal is not done, my client will sign a long-term extension with the Patriots only on July 15, 2007 forcing the Pats to carry Branch's tag through most of the FA season.

Tidbits - Jeff Backus and Nate Clements signed their franchise tag this year under the condition that they would not be tagged next year.

A franchised player must be paid the average of the top five cap numbers, not salaries at his position,
  9. PatsFanDan

PatsFanDan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Claims this isn't just about this contract (Chayut wants closer to $7M per), it's continued hard feelings about the 5 year rookie deal and now he adds a contract offer after the 2004 season that was insulting.

Continued hard feelings about a 5 year rookie deal that Chayut negotiated and Branch signed? WTF
  10. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Ever thought of being an agent? Branch would do well to fire his agent and hire you.
  11. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Miguel..I agree..that would make more sense..and NOT really antagonize the organization like this holdout will..but that's intellignce from you and NOT JC..was there a change in the computation of franchise numbers or has it always been that way??? Yes 7 mill 9 mill??? NOT at all bad...
  12. Miguel

Ratings:
    +401 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

It has always been that way. Do not know why Curran would report it incorrectly.

from my free agency page
    http://www.patscap.com/patsfreeagency.html
    "**** NOTE: For the next paragraphs regarding the franchise and transition tags salary is defined as the total of the Paragraph 5 Salary, roster and reporting bonuses, and the prorata portion of signing bonus salary, prorated signing bonus, and roster bonus but not LTBE incentives or offseason workout bonus money. "

My note is a summary of the CBA:
    "For the purpose of this Article, “Salary” means the total of the Paragraph 5 Salary, roster and reporting bonuses, prorata portion of signing bonus, and other payments to players in compensation for the playing of professional football for the applicable year of the player’s most recently negotiated Player Contract, except for performance bonuses other than roster and reporting bonuses. Beginning with the 1994 League Year, Salary shall also include any un-repaid loans made, guaranteed or collateralized by a Team or its Team Affiliate to a player or Player Affiliate during or after the 1993 League Year."

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/foot...yersbyposition.aspx?pos=4&order=CapValue desc

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/foot...rsbyposition.aspx?pos=4&order=BaseSalary desc

There was not one wide receiver who even had a salary of at least $6.1 million.
  13. sarge

sarge Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do Agents get a cut if the player signs a franchise contract?

I think they do, but I could also see why thy shouldn't as the franchise tag more or less just shows the agent couldn't get a deal done.

If that were the case, that would go a long way in explaining the agents problem with the cap!
  14. sarge

sarge Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Miguel, lets be fair. I think Curran actually meant that. For most people, when they bring up a players salary, we are talking about the whole thing. Or atleast I do.

I know for guys like you who understand the cap as well as you do, there is a big difference. I just think him saying salary was an easy way of saying what the top five guys get paid.

I have noticed in previous threads you seem to have a bone to pick with Curran. What is the deal with that? Seems like you always want to take a shot at him when you can.

He is one of two Patriot beat writers that has any credibility in my book. Obvoiusly his allegiances are with the team, and he has sipped from the koolaid, but I think so are most peoples on this board. So what gives?
  15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

I think the downside for Deion in this scenario is the possibility of a serious injury. The FTD locks in the bonus and protects the player from injury. Deion wants to avoid this risk, but wants better than market value (IMO) a year early.

Hope both sides can get it done.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2005
  16. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Branch's Agent Still Yapping and Mentally Napping

Not going to end pretty..seems like all is entrenched..even thinking 7 is ridiculous...
  17. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +180 / 1 / -0

to be honest i dont trust schefter much. his news especially about pats have mostly been incorrect in the past like "javon walker is in new england for physical thing"
  18. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Let's not confuse the player and the agent. These players hire their agents to handle the business part of their lives.

There are good agents and bad agents and it's up to the player to come to the realization that the agent may not be giving him the best advise. But, when that happens is not a cut and dry situation.

If you had a doctor or a lawyer that you trusted and had a good relationship, it would probably take a lot for you to dump that doctor or lawyer. These young guys most always do have that very close relationship with their agents.

So, we look at it that the agent is giving bad advise. But, the player has that tie to the agent that we don't.

It could take a while for Dion to come to that conclusion. But, he will be in uniform and performing well when opening day is here.
  19. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 8 / -13

Good point. I don't like the way his agent is working through the press. But we have to remember this deal may be the big deal of his career, where he gets the bulk of his professional earnings.

The Pats offer sounds fait to me, IMO he won't be paid as a top 3 WR as his agent wants.
  20. Miguel

Ratings:
    +401 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yes.

They also get a cut when an ERFA gets a tender.

In both instances, the agent is getting paid for doing nothing:)