PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Helmet said:
I don't think the Pats do this. Would create too much negativity with the current players and future players looking to come here. BB wants players to WANT to play for him. Having guys hanging around that don't want to be here creates cancers.
giving players a "free out" of a contract would destroy any future negotiations with any future player.

If Deion is hell-bent on not playing, the Pats can't really do much more than fine him, right?

They will just move on. The only recourse I can see at that point is going after his signiing bonus, and possibly not playing him if he does come back late in the year. He can report, but they don't have to use him.

ATippett56 said:
If allow Deion Branch to be franchised, you have lost the negotiation altogether.
not at all... it isnt about DB only... you can not allow a player under contract to redo the terms of their contract. once franchised, he becomes an asset (tradeable for draft picks)... there is no way he would sit for 2 years of an NFL career for no money... think how long an NFL career is; sit for two peak years? it will never happen.

Last edited:
NE39 said:
If Deion is hell-bent on not playing, the Pats can't really do much more than fine him, right?

They will just move on. The only recourse I can see at that point is going after his signiing bonus, and possibly not playing him if he does come back late in the year. He can report, but they don't have to use him.
pats recourse: he must show up week 10. his fines will equal his salary. so, he plays for free for the final 6 weeks (risk of injury on him). then, pats franchise him. again, the same... DB can sit out a year (for walmart pay), or he can take a $7M/1 year deal, total risk of injury on him. No NFL player wants the risk of injury... it is all about risk of injury.

brady2brown said:
Why does he have to sign an extension? Why can't he just show up and play?

My guess is Branch's agent would say *He was forced into the 5th year of his rookie contract, should have been a UFA this year/got his payday and if he is seriously hurt this year he misses out on the payday he already deserved*.

As to Branch being let go? No way Branch just gets his freedom. Hear that? No Freakin Way BB lets him just go!

BB allowable scenarios:
1)Branch plays out his current contract and the Patriots get great cap value for this year. Cap value is always on the mind of BB and co.

2)Branch signs a new contract closer to Patriot terms and everything is as it was. This is what Branch should have done, and my guess is what will be done though I thought it would have happened quicker after the "seek a trade" declaration. Makes me less certain this is the likely scenario but still the likeliest.

3)Branch is traded and the Patriots get return on a value they have locked up for one more year. It would have to be decent value. We have him for one more year, a top 15 WR, for a one million+ dollar salary. You don't just give that away for nothing. BB and co. won't either imho.

BB prepared scenario:
4)Branch comes back from his holdout and pulls a TO. BB removes him from the team via some sort of punishment/suspension (see Terri "she" Glenn). Branch does this and I would wonder if this guy has a mental problem (like TO honestly does). Branch's earning power is only hurt by this move and ultimately would leave him shorter of the whole reason he is holding out now. I don't know what TO signed for in stupid Dallas, however, I bet if he had given it his all this year and last in Philly? He either stays with Philly for a higher salary sum next year or goes to another team with more signing bonus than Dallas after philly releases him.

Other Scenario:
5) Branch holds out till week 10 and then returns to give everything he has. I don't think BB thinks this will happen. I don't think it will happen (that's about $65,000 per game X 9 he loses out on plus the fine for holding out of camp - which wipes out his entire year's net salary). But hey, if Branch does this? I think it's better that he moves on, after of course being positioned as the wedge buster on kick off coverage/special teams for his first week back.

mikey said:
But that is exactly what Branch wants.

He wants Belichick to "remove" him from the team.

Remember Terry Glenn? He was "removed" from the team as well but I don't think it was the kind of removal that he wanted. I'd laugh my ***** off if the same thing happens to Branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes