PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Helmet

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Will either sign tomorrow or be essentially removed from the team. BB will not tolerate Branch "lingering" for the next 10 weeks, being a distraction to the team. He is either in, or out tomorrow. I don't know how, but the Pats will put Branch behind them if he doesn't sign.

Iron Helmet said:
Will either sign tomorrow or be essentially removed from the team. BB will not tolerate Branch "lingering" for the next 10 weeks, being a distraction to the team. He is either in, or out tomorrow. I don't know how, but the Pats will put Branch behind them if he doesn't sign.

But that is exactly what Branch wants.

He wants Belichick to "remove" him from the team.

Last edited:
He is defintitely becoming a tumor.

If he tries to pull off the rumored "TO" attitude, he can kiss his @ss good bye. I'm optimistic that he returns with a good attitude and re signs but we'll see.

Wrong......Branch will continue his holdout if he doesn't get traded or signed by tomorrow. Nothing to see here, move along. This move was just a line in the sand, I don't see any changes after tomorrows deadline.

Why does he have to sign an extension? Why can't he just show up and play?

mikey said:
But that is exactly what Branch wants.

He wants Belichick to "remove" him from the team.

Too bad...The end result will be he doesn't play until next season for another team, and I would bet probably sign a contract in the ball park of the Pats offer. He essentially will forfeit a year's earnings for nothing.

i wouldnt cut him.. let him sit until week 10.. then, he wants to play, or makes the gameday inactive list (not on the 45)... then, franchise him. someone will give a 2, 3, or 4 for him then... you dont give away any draft picks.... plus, if you give in, what happens to the next p!ssed off final-year dude? like deion says, it's a business... the pats business is to win Super Bowls, im sure DB will understand.

brady2brown said:
Why does he have to sign an extension? Why can't he just show up and play?
he can. the short answer is: Risk of Injury. Everyone on this board should know that term by now... DB certainly does.

scott99 said:
Wrong......Branch will continue his holdout if he doesn't get traded or signed by tomorrow. Nothing to see here, move along. This move was just a line in the sand, I don't see any changes after tomorrows deadline.

You don't understand. the line in the sand is: "if you aren't with us, you are against us." BB will part ways NOW...like tomorrow. You think BB is going to have the "Branch excuse" hanging around for 10 weeks if things go bad during the season? You are nuts.

I don't know if this has been answered, but if he's franchised, and refuses to play, what happens?

Iron Helmet said:
You don't understand. the line in the sand is: "if you aren't with us, you are against us." BB will part ways NOW...like tomorrow. You think BB is going to have the "Branch excuse" hanging around for 10 weeks if things go bad during the season? You are nuts.
it would be stupid to give a player away, when they are UNDER CONTRACT... move on without him, but DO NOT let him go... let him sit there and rot for $400K- 400k in fines (zero for those of you without calculators)... then, he sits another year if he refuses the franchise offer...

PatsWorldChamps said:
then, he sits another year if he refuses the franchise offer...
If allow Deion Branch to be franchised, you have lost the negotiation altogether.

jaychamp said:
I don't know if this has been answered, but if he's franchised, and refuses to play, what happens?

Then his family has to deal with two years of a negative salary which they can not do because it's not like Branch has already made millions that he can live off of.

Last edited:
PatsWorldChamps said:
it would be stupid to give a player away, when they are UNDER CONTRACT... move on without him, but DO NOT let him go... let him sit there and rot for $400K- 400k in fines (zero for those of you without calculators)... then, he sits another year if he refuses the franchise offer...

I don't think the Pats do this. Would create too much negativity with the current players and future players looking to come here. BB wants players to WANT to play for him. Having guys hanging around that don't want to be here creates cancers.

jaychamp said:

He doesn't get paid.

His career goes down the toilet.

I wish my boss would franchise me. It would be great to be one of the top 5 people in the US at my position.

Iron Helmet said:
I don't think the Pats do this. Would create too much negativity with the current players and future players looking to come here. BB wants players to WANT to play for him. Having guys hanging around that don't want to be here creates cancers.

If players know they can be successful when throwing a tantrum then what is stopping them?

Iron Helmet said:

I think it's exactly the opposite. By giving in, you're begging for other guys to pull this same stunt. And Belichick really isn't a stickler for playing only guys that WANT to play for him. I mean, did Willie McGinest want to play for him? Did Ty Law? Ted Washington? etc. etc. These are all guys that served the Patriots well, but they also said negative things when they left. Deion Branch, by all accounts, is a player who cares and plays hard on the field. That's why everyone is so frustrated by his ill-advised decision to heed the advice of his idiot agent.

Put it this way: if Branch gets cut or traded for nothing, then the Patriots are inviting all their other players to hold out next year.

PatsWorldChamps said:
he can. the short answer is: Risk of Injury. Everyone on this board should know that term by now... DB certainly does.

And that's another thing that differentiates Reggie Wayne from Branch - Wayne played out the final year of his contract, risked injury, then cashed in.

Branch is asking for Wayne type money, but his stats don't measure up and neither does his attitude.

zippo59 said:
If players know they can be successful when throwing a tantrum then what is stopping them?

I'm not saying they are going to release him from his contract. They will just put him in a place were he will not be a distraction...for the entire year.

Before the game they noted Kraft said "I expect the situation with Branch to be resolved one way or another by tomorrow". Lets see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes