PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Branch is usually listed as one of the keys to our future success, and a must sign at almost any cost.

I strongly disagree. This team will NOT make Branch one of the top paid wide receivers in the game. Look at what Randel-El got in a contract. Look at TO. Certainly, Branch will command more (perhaps not as much as he thinks, but more). Will the situation be different in free agency next year.

The reality is that bb has a cap approach that works. This includes a certain amount for various positions. Yes, there are exceptions for superstars like Brady and Seymour, as there should be. Branch is NOT a superstar.

The team needs to build this year and next at wide receiver, and at outside linebacker. I have every confidence that we will.

lets just let every patriot player go and never sign any of them after their rookie contracts up, sounds brilliant. Sure the Pats may consist of 52 second tier guys within 2 years and may be 5-11 like other dynasties, but when were 5-11 at least we can say we didnt over spend for anybody. If the team just keeps trying to replace lost free agents they wont improve.

I presume that either you are first or second year fan or you have no memory at all. The patriots have a cap strategy that works.

We've kept a lot of top players past their first contract. HOWEVER, one of the secrets of cap management is to get the best out of your first contract rookies. Givens was a great success for the pats. Neal also.

McGinist didn't stay long enough? How about Bruschi or Vinatieri? or Brady? or Faulk? or Light? or Green? All were kept past their first contracts.

BTW, I am strongly in favor of paying Seymour $8M a year, or even a bit more.

R_T26 said:
lets just let every patriot player go and never sign any of them after their rookie contracts up, sounds brilliant. Sure the Pats may consist of 52 second tier guys within 2 years and may be 5-11 like other dynasties, but when were 5-11 at least we can say we didnt over spend for anybody. If the team just keeps trying to replace lost free agents they wont improve.

I agree with mg, Branch isn't getting a huge offer.

I think they're hoping to replace Givens with Caldwell and will draft Branch's replacement in the 2nd or 3rd round this year. By 2007 I think the goal is to have Caldwell and the new draftee as the starting WR. Please don't slam me and say "Caldwell sucks" or anything, I'm not arguing that I know he's a worthy replacement for Givens, just that I think he is the replacement for Givens.

I suspect that we'll add several wideouts before camp. Caldwell could be a future starter or not. In any case, a single wide receiver isn't worth a lot for a team that sometimes passes to 10 players in one game. One could argue that we might pay more for the receivers as a whole. However, I would rather spend the money on OL upgrades. The benefit to the passing game is more that way.

So far for 2006 Brady has Branch, Caldwell, Watson, Graham, Faulk, Dillon and Pass as receivers (and of course Vrabel).

I haven't listed Childress or Johnson because as of now I don't see them as a key part of the mix.

I expect to add at least two, more likely 3-4 receivers before camp.

BelichickFan said:
I agree with mg, Branch isn't getting a huge offer.

I think they're hoping to replace Givens with Caldwell and will draft Branch's replacement in the 2nd or 3rd round this year. By 2007 I think the goal is to have Caldwell and the new draftee as the starting WR. Please don't slam me and say "Caldwell sucks" or anything, I'm not arguing that I know he's a worthy replacement for Givens, just that I think he is the replacement for Givens.

It depends. Branch deserves that contract alot more than Randle El does, that's for sure. The huge part is, we'll just have to see what Branch is asking for. If he wants to live up to his potential, go to another team where he'll always get the bacll, get a huge contract. If he wants to continue being a good WR, and a decent salary he'll saty. I'm not holding my breath.

mgteich said:
I suspect that we'll add several wideouts before camp. Caldwell could be a future starter or not.
I guess I should re-word to :

I think we'll use a first day pick on a WR. He and Caldwell can compete for #2 and #3. If all goes well (and assuming Branch leaves) those two will both start in 2007 . . . if only one does well, we have one starter and can look around FA a year from now for the other starter.

Bottom line, I think we're done adding WR other than minimum salary guys until Day One of the draft.

i could be wrong but i think the Patriots are 'high' on Deion Branch.

does it means they will spend a lot of money on him ? no

does it means that anyway they will make a good offer to him ? probably

personally i like Deion and i hope he will be with us longtime

Branch is not a key to their success. Sure he is fast and has good hands, but is small and fragile and as he ages he will be more fragile.

He will NOT get big $$$ and will not remain with the Pats after this year unless he wants to stay and make less money. I doubt that.

Seymour will stay, but Branch will be out! Mark my words!

Drewwho said:
Branch is not a key to their success. Sure he is fast and has good hands, but is small and fragile and as he ages he will be more fragile.

He will NOT get big $$$ and will not remain with the Pats after this year unless he wants to stay and make less money. I doubt that.

Seymour will stay, but Branch will be out! Mark my words!
The irony of cutting Branch (2nd round, Superbowl MVP) without giving him the big money is that the team ends up giving Givens (7th round) more money than Branch.

If you were Deion, would you be angry?

How would that impact how other free agents perceive the organization?

If you were a rookie, would you hold out for a shorter contract?

mikey said:
If you were a rookie, would you hold out for a shorter contract?

See: Watson, Benjamin.

Do you forget how they threw money at Derek Mason last, only for him to sign the same big money deal with the Ravens ? They will pay players of that caliber.

italianpatthepatriot said:
i could be wrong but i think the Patriots are 'high' on Deion Branch.

does it means they will spend a lot of money on him ? no

does it means that anyway they will make a good offer to him ? probably

personally i like Deion and i hope he will be with us longtime

This guy is a clutch performer and always has been from the day he was drafted. He has a unique set of skills that enables him to run precise pass routes and accelerate as he comes out of a cut - very difficult. He is also completely on the same page as T. Brady. Deion Branch is a bona fide #1 and a major part of our young group of core veterans. He will stay with us for a long tome to come.

I also do not feel he is that inury prone, he has an uncanny ability to slide around or get down fast, avoiding the big hit. I would like to see a comparison of his games missed due to injury versus other #1's and Givens as well.

The thing about Deion is that he is such a BB-type player. Brady describes him as a coach on the field. That's worth a lot to BB/SP.

If Givens got what he just got as the Pats #2 WR, what would Branch get offered on the open FA market? DB is another guy I'm fairly optimistic that a deal will get done. I do wonder, with all the reports(whether substantiated or not) what Branch thinks about how supposedly the Patriots didn't want to go overboard on Givens because it would drive the price up on him? Branch is a fine WR and I don't want to lose him. But he doesn't deserve TO money and he'd have to be equated with another WR with like stats and ability. I'm doing my taxes online along with posting here so my brain is a little fried to think of what WR's that may be -:)

mgteich said:
Branch is usually listed as one of the keys to our future success, and a must sign at almost any cost.

I strongly disagree. This team will NOT make Branch one of the top paid wide receivers in the game. Look at what Randel-El got in a contract. Look at TO. Certainly, Branch will command more (perhaps not as much as he thinks, but more). Will the situation be different in free agency next year.

The reality is that bb has a cap approach that works. This includes a certain amount for various positions. Yes, there are exceptions for superstars like Brady and Seymour, as there should be. Branch is NOT a superstar.

The team needs to build this year and next at wide receiver, and at outside linebacker. I have every confidence that we will.

You expect Branch to command more than TO? If he stays over the three years, Owens will be the highest paid WR ever in that span. I don't expect Branch to "certainly" command more.

Deion is an important player for us. If he expects to be the highest paid WR in the NFL, it's not going to happen nor should it. However, he does deserve a large contract from us and I think they'll offer it. Light was extended with a very good contract but not one for an elite LT, which he isn't. Branch doesn't have to get top 5 WR money to still end up making a lot of money.

Hines Ward signed a 4 year, $26 million extension last season. I don't think something similar is out of the question for Branch. The Steelers is another team that has been very smart with money and let people go. They let Burress and Randall-El leave in the last two years. They kept the player that is really important. I think we'll do the same.

fgssand said:
This guy is a clutch performer and always has been from the day he was drafted. He has a unique set of skills that enables him to run precise pass routes and accelerate as he comes out of a cut - very difficult. He is also completely on the same page as T. Brady. Deion Branch is a bona fide #1 and a major part of our young group of core veterans. He will stay with us for a long tome to come.

I also do not feel he is that inury prone, he has an uncanny ability to slide around or get down fast, avoiding the big hit. I would like to see a comparison of his games missed due to injury versus other #1's and Givens as well.

Thank You, well put. Some people on this board are so willing to forget about the players that have brought us such happiness as fans its almost insulting to the players. How can you be so willing to just let go of a player like Branch and assume Caldwell and a player that has yet to be drafted can take over the reieving core. Did Bethel or Sam show that they can take over. whose to say any of these players can take over for someone like Branch. Drafting is not that easy. Branch is everything you want in a player, as for him being injury prone, Steve neal taking out his knees while branch was trying to recover an intercepted ball does not tell me he is injury prone. Deion does everything you want, and the fact that I saw him crying after the denver gam showed me thats a player who plays with passion and genuienly cares. He's almost this era's Lynn Swann, solid regular season numbers and great postseason numbers, to think that some draft pick can just replace him is Blind faith.

Crazy Patriot Guy said:
You expect Branch to command more than TO? If he stays over the three years, Owens will be the highest paid WR ever in that span. I don't expect Branch to "certainly" command more.

* I think he meant Randal El, not TO.

yes, Branch will certainly expect to get more than Randel El.

PatsSteve1 said:
Crazy Patriot Guy said:

* I think he meant Randal El, not TO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye