PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1. How much should Branch reasonably expect next year?

2. More importantly, is that number larger than the patriots are likely to pay?

3. If the answer to #2 is "yes", then perhaps we should be a bit more aggressive in signing Givens.

I think Branch has established himself as a solid mid-pack #1 wide receiver and a guy with the intangibles that warrant investing in him.

It is very difficult for any of us to put dollar values on that because the contracts bandied about in the media are so cluttered with funny money and throw-away years at the end that we can't always see the real dollars.

But, I would think somewhere in the range of a Hines Ward would be about right. Ward is scheduled to make $2.75 million in salary this year, plus whatever bonus proration is in effect. Figuring the cap inflation, probably a long-term deal that puts $10 to $12 million in his pocket over the first three years.

Yesterday at the Superbowl MVP Tri Star show I had Deion Branch sign my Full Sized Authentic Patriot throwback helmet.

It's awesome...he signed it Deion Branch 83
SB XXXIX
MVP

Alll in blue sharpie........sweet!

Last edited:
EMoulds80Fan said:
Yesterday at the Superbowl MVP Tri Star show I had Deion Branch sign my Full Sized Authentic Patriot throwback helmet.

It's awesome...he signed it Deion Branch 83
SB XXXIX
MVP

Alll in blue sharpie........sweet!

You didn't happen to ask what kind of deal he was looking for, did ya? :confused:

Last edited:
This is a funny money year. Teams that got a 'get out of jail free' card are turning around and maxxing their caps again - for years to come. Teams that have been frugal have been dazzled by the big jump in the cap - and probably a little extra spending money from the extra revenue sharing - and are quickly chewing up their cap space, again, for years to come. Even more unbelievable than some of the money being thrown around is for how long most of these contracts are.

Unless Branch and Seymour(UNLIKELY) are willing to accept extensions based on what contracts are likely to go for next year, there is no way that the Pats are going to give them extensions at this year's market rates.

The free agent market in a couple months is going to be back down to a sanity range. But with the amount of extra cap room and all of the frantic signings now going on, the remaining pool may be a little slim. That still sometimes leaves overlooked solid players which Belichick and Pioli have been so astute at identifying - just less likely this year.

It has the earmarks of a 'hunker down' year for the Pats with a lot depending on how sharp the Pats draft picking is - and whether there are any solid free agents left in a couple months.

The thing that hurts is that the free agent signings and trades last year before the regular season are virtually a total bust.
Baker, Eugene
Beisel, Monty
Brown, Chad
Davis, Andre'
Dwight, Tim
Flutie, Doug
Mallard, Wesly
Morton, Chad
Scott, Chad
Starks, Duane
Terrell, David

Could be a tough year. Not that Belichick and Pioli didn't pull the rabbit out of the hat for 2001 when they had some cap issues.

Given a more reasonable free agent market next year, look for the Pats to be strong in 2007 !!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back