PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch will show up at camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoLewisrocks said:
Deion's or his agents fear of the franchise tag is likely rooted not only in our using it to retain him for a year or two at $7-8M, but also in his agents fear that we wll tag and trade him. That means his one big FA period will not be exactly free because his market will be limited to the team or teams who will both meet our demands in a trade for him AND sign him to a huge contract. Very different scenario from being a truly FA.
Isn't it the exact same scenario?

Pats franchise him. He plays for them a year and is a FA.

Pats franchise him and trade him to X. He plays for X one year and is a FA.

He still has his big FA period in 2007.

His market will not be limited at all. The team who gets him gets him for one year for the franchise amount. And that is all unless they offer Branch what he wants. He doesn't have to sign. He simply collects his $7 mil, plays a year, then collects ANOTHER $7-10 mil the next year as his signing bonus.

I cannot see how he will get less by getting franchised then a long term deal than he would by getting the long term deal right off the bat.

I'd put it in a spreadsheet here if I knew how, but I'm sure you can do the math.

By being frac

MoLewisrocks said:
And it was reported earlier that Deion was looking for a $12M+ signing bonus or guarantees minimum. At the time some poo poo'd such reports, but it would seem now that may well be the case.
I was one of the poo-poo-ers. And I still find it hard to believe The Twig could be so misguided in his worth.

Things may get even uglier, so maybe the Pats won't want to franchise him anyway.

Everyone points to the fact that he is Brady's favorite reciever as though Brady needs him. But if you recall, Brady's favorite receiver was once Troy Brown. Deion came along and supplanted Troy. Remember the Sirius commercial? Now someone else (Chad Jackson, Reche Caldwell, a player not yet on the team) will become Brady's favorite receiver.

That's not the way it works space.

When a player is franchised he can shop himself to anyone willing to trade two first round picks for him so they can sign him long term. Almost never happens though because that's such a steep price when you have to get the player signed as well. So if the parties really don't want to stay together, the team usually ends up shopping the tagged player as a tag and trade. But the only way another team will trade value picks (or players or a combination of both) is if they know they can get the player signed with them long term. So there are usually just a few teams who will matchup (have both something of value to trade that satisfies the team the player was franchised by and the means to sign the player to a long term deal.

Last season the JETS franchised Abraham. They knew they couldn't afford to resign him, but they wanted something for him. Eventually Atlanta and Seattle both made offers to the JETS, but Abraham had already worked out a deal with Atlanta and wanted to go there. NY tried to squeeze Vick's backup QB out of Atlanta, but they wouldn't hear of it. Seattle backed out because Abraham wouldn't talk deal with them, and the JETS ended up with a 2nd round pick for Abraham. Depending on the kind of year Deion has we could theoretically expect a late 1 or a 2 or a package of day 1 picks or a pick and a player BB likes from a team in exchange for Deion. But it's a complicated dance where three sides have to agree. So not at all like his being a FA courted by (in his dreams) several teams on the open market willing to out bid each other and pay big bucks for him 'cause it's only money. And teams who are short on picks because they've used them elsewhere (like Miami this season who struggled to make deals because they didn't have the picks to barter with) who might have paid him more would be unable to even get into the mix in the first place.

It's hilarious that he thinks he even would be franchised. Maybe he's thinking the Pats will franchise him and try to trade but if they can't they'd pull the franchise tag at the last minute?

He's worried he may have to settle for 6-7M for one year? In his dreams.

branch to show

if he's not franchised. Something like that.

Like this guy would have to worry about being franchised. Doubt the Pats would do that at 6-7M. They get a 3rd round pick as compensatory the next year most likely anyway. And they wouldn't want that malcontent on board for 6-7M.

It would be cool if he came back and caught 50 balls for 600 yards, behind Caldwell, Jackson and Thomas.

patsfan55 said:
so i just heard on espn that he'll show up as long as he's not franchise tagged next offseason

ive got a feeling he'll come in, play the season, and then leave for more money next offseason
it's not his choice. no way we give up a franchise tag for nothing... he can sit as long as he wants, he has ZERO leverage.

spacecrime said:

His market will not be limited at all. The team who gets him gets him for one year for the franchise amount. And that is all unless they offer Branch what he wants. He doesn't have to sign. He simply collects his $7 mil, plays a year, then collects ANOTHER $7-10 mil the next year as his signing bonus.

I cannot see how he will get less by getting franchised then a long term deal than he would by getting the long term deal right off the bat.

I'd put it in a spreadsheet here if I knew how, but I'm sure you can do the math.

By being frac
here's how it really works: the pats give him ZERO raise for this year... he plays for almost nothing... then, the pats franchise him next year... still a great deal for the pats... then, in 2008, if he hasnt gotten hurt, he gets FA money... a lot to risk for an injury-prone kid who could get hurt in 2 years (look at his history).

spacecrime said:

By being frac
figure out the guaranteed money for 2006 and 2007 (franchised)... it is VERY little if DB doesnt sign a long term contract. no way he can wait for 2008 to get a good payday. DB is desperate to sign a long contract and get a big signing bonus.

Patsies can't franchise Branch.

They run the risk of him actually signing it and then they are on teh hook for him.

I'd take his deal now and say "sure we won't franchise". He's delusional. He's not worth a franchise tag. IT's a joke.

good chance he's the 3rd leading receiver on the team this year. If he doesn't get injured that is.

PatsWorldChamps said:
figure out the guaranteed money for 2006 and 2007 (franchised)... it is VERY little if DB doesnt sign a long term contract. no way he can wait for 2008 to get a good payday. DB is desperate to sign a long contract and get a big signing bonus.

You're forgetting he gets TWO big paydays if he's franchised then.

Payday in franchise year 6-7M. Payday in NEXT year after that. 12M guaranteed and low salaries for next few years.

So all in all getting franchised is great for him. AS long as he doesn't get injured.

Hell of a deal for a guy who is probably the 20th best receiver in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes