PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch Rumor (Good, but Take it FWIW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to waste any more energy on Deion Branch until something definitive happens...whether he rejoins the team or leaves. I'm much more concerned with what the Pats have to do on Sunday now. Deion and his petty grievance aren't taking up any more of my time.

PromisedLand said:
For me it depends how the story unfolds. If Deion comes back humbled and says he made a mistake listening to his #^$%^^$# agent, I'll love him again. If he comes back and dogs it because he is angry that he didn't get what he wanted, I will still dislike him ("hate" is too strong a word). If it's somewhere in between, I guess I'll see.
Must agree...a lot depends on what happens..not holding my breath...

PromisedLand said:
For me it depends how the story unfolds. If Deion comes back humbled and says he made a mistake listening to his #^$%^^$# agent, I'll love him again. If he comes back and dogs it because he is angry that he didn't get what he wanted, I will still dislike him ("hate" is too strong a word). If it's somewhere in between, I guess I'll see.
I can't imagine him dogging it in a million years. If he's back, he'll bust his ass as always. Maybe I'm naiive, but I don't think so.

If he dogs it, I doubt it will help his career. I highly doubt he would.

This is one rumor that I don't buy, nor do I care much about at this point. In two days the Patriots will be playing meaningful football and that's where all my attention is.

Unless the guy signs a contract before Sunday, and intends to play, then I don't really care about any of these rumors. They've varied so much and have produced little to nothing in the way of things that have come to fruition.

Think of Leion as ... put on PUP.

Patriots certainly have won enough of the many games he has missed while injured.

Patjew said:
I can't imagine him dogging it in a million years. If he's back, he'll bust his ass as always. Maybe I'm naiive, but I don't think so.

I agree 100% - when he puts the pads on he is a force. He will not let his teammates down once he is back either.

I would welcome him back - PLEASE come back Deion and stay around for a while. NE will welcome you with open arms.

I'd prefer two first round picks to Branch at this point. He has burnt his bridges with his ridiculous actions. And these are HIS actions...they can't be blamed on his agent. I'm really, really hoping that Seattle will come through with a first and mid-round picks because I want Deion gone. He's an embarrassment to all things Patriot. Even T.O. didn't pull this crap.

I just can't believe that after all this it would end as easily and as simply as that rumor would have it. I hope I'm wrong but....

The only way he comes back is if the Pats extend an olive branch (no pun intended) and give him a taste (like with what they did with Sey last summer) and Deion takes the Pats deal 5-$28m-$11m deal. It would also require Deion to make a statement saying that (Like Ty Law did after his bust in Buffalo) "After careful thought, I realized that NE is home and I want to be here.". Its to the point that Krafty Bob needs to intervene in this whole mess. We are 13m under the cap. We can spend the money. After all, it's not mine!:)

on the other hand, if he and Chayut keep the garbage up, ship him out ASAP or let him rot in tagland.

robertweathers said:
The only way he comes back is if the Pats extend an olive branch (no pun intended) and give him a taste (like with what they did with Sey last summer) and Deion takes the Pats deal 5-$28m-$11m deal. It would also require Deion to make a statement saying that (Like Ty Law did after his bust in Buffalo) "After careful thought, I realized that NE is home and I want to be here.". Its to the point that Krafty Bob needs to intervene in this whole mess. We are 13m under the cap. We can spend the money. After all, it's not mine!:)

I can't imagine that the team would demand a ritual humbling of the player. I still feel confident that if he agreed to anything like their original offer they'd all just sign the paperwork and get to work.

For those who feel so bitter about the holdout that they just want Branch gone, take a long look at this:

Branch
Gabriel
Brown
Jackson
Caldwell

That's a WR corps that looks just like the rest of the offense: young, talented and deep. We're talking about an offense with no holes. Would you real give that up because you didn't get an "apology"?

I would welcome Branch back because he is almost certainly going to be the Patriots best receiver. Next year perhaps it will be Chad Jackson or Gabriel even, but this year Branch is the best. Belichick offered Branch the chance to seek a trade and it didn't work out, so move on.

However this inexperienced agent Chayut is clearly not the right person for Branch. Even the Poston brothers would have done a better job.

patchick said:
That's a WR corps that looks just like the rest of the offense: young, talented and deep. We're talking about an offense with no holes. Would you real give that up because you didn't get an "apology"?

I agree the offense is way better with Branch in there, but for this year. I'm not even sure if I want to sign him long term at this point.

Upon further review, aren't the Pats better off just trying to find young & cheap labor at WR or any position for that matter? The Pats have identified two players around which they can build a team and they have spent to keep them here. If we want to keep the dynasty, we're not going to do it by overpaying to keep Branch here for a few more years when we can eventually get the same production from Chad Jackson for much cheaper. 5 years from now, we'll probably have to let Chad Jackson go and bank on getting cheap production from another young wideout.

It's the way the Pats dynasty has lasted this long: a revolving door for anyone a) not willing to take a discount in the name of winning (Vrabel, Bruschi, Harrison) b) not named Brady or Seymour

That's what Mike McKenzie did - showed up.

Said over and over that he never would. Drew persuaded him it was the only smart play.

Then he got a hammy - an even smarter play.

At this point, who cares? I know I don't.

lobster said:
However this inexperienced agent Chayut is clearly not the right person for Branch. Even the Poston brothers would have done a better job.

Owww !
You really know how to hurt an agent, don't you?

Sadly, I cannot envision any scenario with which he reports to this team.

Do you really think he will fire his agent, apologize, take his SEYesque type of smooch and report without a deal? No way!!

I also do not see any way that NE can pay him without creating a line of players. also in the final year of their deals looking for theirs. Paying him now basically shaves a year off of everyone else's rookie contract.

The ONLY way it can work is indeed for DB to just come in, drop his demands and play out his contract - after all that he has gone through, how can he possibly do this?

Maybe, a slight compromise could work, we just go for it this year, tell him fine, no franchise for you (as long as we can work out a 1/2 decent trade in the off season). But really, I doubt it. Both sides are In way too deep and there is no way for either to end this amicably. I just don't see it.

fgssand said:
Sadly, I cannot envision any scenario with which he reports to this team.

Do you really think he will fire his agent, apologize, take his SEYesque type of smooch and report without a deal? No way!!

I also do not see any way that NE can pay him without creating a line of players. also in the final year of their deals looking for theirs. Paying him now basically shaves a year off of everyone else's rookie contract.

The ONLY way it can work is indeed for DB to just come in, drop his demands and play out his contract - after all that he has gone through, how can he possibly do this?

Maybe, a slight compromise could work, we just go for it this year, tell him fine, no franchise for you (as long as we can work out a 1/2 decent trade in the off season). But really, I doubt it. Both sides are In way too deep and there is no way for either to end this amicably. I just don't see it.

I tend to agree with you. It would be interesting to see if any high friction, into the regular season type holdouts of the past have ended with the player reporting and all things forgotten. I honestly don't know if that has ever happened (I doubt it though). I would think DB must fire Team Branch for it to occur . If he did that, it would be a first step. If the Patriots also 'upped' their offer a bit (or gave him a bump for this year), it could possibly lead to some relationship repair. One would think, however, that something like that would have already happened. It seems both sides are dug in at this point, and neither is going to give an inch. Too bad for everyone but especially Branch. The Patriots WILL move on without him if they have to. That is a fact. Plus, DB has little power here and is up against possibly the most financially disciplined FO of modern time. Team Branch is trying to play a pair of jacks like it is a full house. The problem with that is the Patriots had/have 4 queens and all the cards are face up now. If Branch hasn't fired Team Branch knowing this, why would he tomorrow or the next day? One outside possibility is Branch's lack of game checks, and what kind of life he is used to presently. Each week's 65k that should have but doesn't come into his bank account must cause him to question his situation along with a little shiver down his spine. It would mine...........

BradyManny2344 said:
Upon further review, aren't the Pats better off just trying to find young & cheap labor at WR or any position for that matter?

No. Your point could be argued, correctly imho, if the Patriots were up against the cap and/or spending too much cap space on the WR position. Neither of these things are true. There is no current financial need to go with a cheaper, unproven quantity. The cheaper but unproven route is an acknowledged reality, however, based on the Patriot's robust financial discipline and Team Branch's flimsy but seriously determined stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing