PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch re-signs by Sep. 2. Here's Why:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know everybody is sick of these Branch threads, so appologies up front. However, by the 700 people here right now, I'd say there is some interest. I know I'm interested.

I respectfully think several folks on here are reading the developments incorrectly.

IF it's true that the Patriots offered 5 years, $31M, and IF it's true that his new offer is 6 years, $36M, I read it this way.

The Patriots wanted Branch to see what the true market was. Turns out it's not $7M or $8M a year, it's more like the $6M the Patriots were offering. Why wouldn't the Patriots say: "O.K., we'll give you that contract"? There would probably be an issue with setting a precident on tearing up the final year of his current contract, so they'd just have to increase the bonus. That way he'd get that money this year, but they'd have plausible deniablility on "tearing up the final year".

Unless the Patriots get a trade offer they cannot pass up, I see Branch re-signing today or tomorrow with the Patriots. If a team comes in at the last minute with a $7M+ per year offer, forget I said anything. It never happened.:)

Interesting points...yet I am one who believes that there are only 3 to 5 NFL receivers worth paying $6M+ a year and Deon is not one of them.

Bostonian1962 said:
I know everybody is sick of these Branch threads, so appologies up front. However, by the 700 people here right now, I'd say there is some interest. I know I'm interested.

I respectfully think several folks on here are reading the developments incorrectly.

IF it's true that the Patriots offered 5 years, $31M, and IF it's true that his new offer is 6 years, $36M, I read it this way.

The Patriots wanted Branch to see what the true market was. Turns out it's not $7M or $8M a year, it's more like the $6M the Patriots were offering. Why wouldn't the Patriots say: "O.K., we'll give you that contract"? There would probably be an issue with setting a precident on tearing up the final year of his current contract, so they'd just have to increase the bonus. That way he'd get that money this year, but they'd have plausible deniablility on "tearing up the final year".

Unless the Patriots get a trade offer they cannot pass up, I see Branch re-signing today or tomorrow with the Patriots. If a team comes in at the last minute with a $7M+ per year offer, forget I said anything. It never happened.:)

I agree, I think the Pats and DB agreed to let the other teams in the league set the market. Pats will match highest offer and DB plays 9/10.

Bostonian1962 said:

It would all make perfect sense if anything that went through Deion Branch's (or his agent's) brain made sense. Hopefully Branch will come to his senses last minute.

I'll truly be shocked if he re-signs. I think he's gone to Minnesota and/or the Jets.

it isnt about avg annual pay (which is bogus anyways), it is about guaranteed money.

The Patriots need to throw his old contract in the trash and give him a brand new one or he wont re sign.

if BB thinks branch is not going to be back before week 10 or next yr he will deal him for a draft pick for sure. We all know how much he values his draft picks and he wont let this problem let linger if he thinks branch isnt going to be productive this season

rabthepat said:
Interesting points...yet I am one who believes that there are only 3 to 5 NFL receivers worth paying $6M+ a year and Deon is not one of them.

Interestingly enough it would seem that BB & SP did think he was one of them because of their initial offer. :eek:

rabthepat said:

That used to be the case, with the massive increase in the cap, comes an increase in the players expectations, and the ability for owners to throw money at them in hopes of buying a superbowl. Players that are just below the elite status will now start to make elite $$$, just because someone is willing to pay it, not cause they are worth it.

Pattie said:
I'll truly be shocked if he re-signs. I think he's gone to Minnesota and/or the Jets.

"AND/or?" Cool! Can we get the #1 from BOTH teams?

Bostonian1962 said:

I agree, talks had stalled and Branch was refusing to negotiate with the Pats so the trade window allows the negotiations to continue (with other teams) and gets Branch back at the table at the end of the week (today) where the Pats could presumabely match whatever offer Branch does get. However I'm sure that Belioli are perfectly willing to let Branch walk in exchange for 2 #1's even if the chances of any team paying that is unlikely.

One thing about Belichick is he never seems to let pride or emotion get in the way of winning football and if he can get Branch on the field all else will be forgotten.

Bostonian1962 said:
The Patriots wanted Branch to see what the true market was. Turns out it's not $7M or $8M a year, it's more like the $6M the Patriots were offering. Why wouldn't the Patriots say: "O.K., we'll give you that contract"?

Agreed, with the caveat that the real measure will be guaranteed money and its vesting schedule, which we don't yet know. If the parties had been talking over the last weeks, they would likely have arrived at these numbers (assuming comparable bonus and vesting) without all the drama and hand-wringing.

rabthepat said:

If they do match, would you still feel this way?

For my part, if these numbers are correct and the bonus and vesting are comparable, this will have turned out to be another smart move by Beoli since it will have facilitated the desired result -- a compromise both sides can (presumably) live with. I say this on the assumption that the offers coming in are closer to the Pats' last offer than to the Branch camp's. Let's hope...

Two Eight said:
IHowever I'm sure that Belioli are perfectly willing to let Branch walk in exchange for 2 #1's even if the chances of any team paying that is unlikely.

Here's another thought if the other mystery team is Seattle. Holmgren came so close last year and is rumored to be thinking of retiring. Why not trade a few #1s ( to be exercised when he's long gone ala the Redskins) for a quality WR and the chance to win NOW before he's gone........
Just my $0.02,

Typo! Typo! I wish we could market him to both though. :)

Just curious, what would Branch's franchise money be next year?

patsox23 said:
"AND/or?" Cool! Can we get the #1 from BOTH teams?

Heh-heh-heh - obviously, a legal secretary here!

RIP#40 said:
I agree, I think the Pats and DB agreed to let the other teams in the league set the market. Pats will match highest offer and DB plays 9/10.
-------------------------

yup, that's what i think 2...as nice though as it would be to have him in there earlier

we're not getting 2 1st round picks for Deion so just squash that pipe dream right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back