Who would make your final cut, Branch or Stallworth

• Branch

Votes: 57 38.3%
  • Stallworth

Votes: 92 61.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
when Spikes came back out after going to the locker room was he moving OK??

when Spikes came back out after going to the locker room was he moving OK??

I didn't notice anything significant, but I focused more on the O-line, WRs and Mallett tonight, so I might have missed something there.

were you aware of the Koppen hysteria before you went tonight???..if so, did he stick out in a negative way or was it just the normal training camp drudgery?...these vets are notorious for hating training camp...this goes for every team across the league...did it look like Koppen was splitting snaps with Connelly?

Last edited:
were you aware of the Koppen hysteria before you went tonight???..if so, did he stick out in a negative way or was it just the normal training camp drudgery?...these vets are notorious for hating training camp...this goes for every team across the league...did it look like Koppen was splitting snaps with Connelly?

I was aware of the Bedard comments. What I saw of Koppen was a player who seemed to be very aware of a recent leg injury, and who might also not be in the sort of shape he needs to be in just yet (although that could just be a byproduct of either decline or babying the leg). He seemed to play a bit soft and to be slower than he needed to be.

As for splitting snaps or that stuff, I didn't pay attention to any sort of numbers like that, and I didn't see Connolly. I just focused on the players that were out there without worrying about secondary stuff. If I go again this year, I'll pay more attention to that stuff, but I figured it was a bit early to be looking at that stuff for meaning.

Last edited:
sorry if I was bugging you, DI

I just read the 7th day wrapup by Reiss...Connolley sat out along with some other vets...

New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

You're not bugging me at all. Ask anything you want about the practice. I'm not used to working a full NFL practice like that, though, so my answers will be limited

my question was moot as Connelley didn't practice tonight.

yeah, seems like Koppen is working to get back into form...I'm going Friday...hope they have the pads on..

huh? stallworth played under Josh McDaniels. Branch did not.

Um, branch played under mcdaniels in 05. Weiss and Crennel left after the 04 season. Under mcdaniels in 05 was brady's first year throwing for 4,000 yards and branch had 900 something almost 1,000 rec yards. I remember that season very well. That season had a lot of ups and downs with bruschi's stroke, duane starks, that denver playoff loss.

I need to see some preseason games first, I think. Stallworth hasn't done much since he left NE but Branch fell off the map at times last season. If Branch can't gain any separation 95% of the time, then I don't see the point of using him for the 5% of the time he does and is on Brady's page. This team needs WRs who can help stretch the field, Branch wasn't able to do that any more than Ocho all of last year.

I picked Branch myself, just for the fact alone that he and Brady have an established rapport with each other.

If Stallworth ends up coming on and setting the TC on fire, then he should be the choice, but for now, 6 practices in--I'm choosing Branch.

I think that BradyFTW! brought up a very good point that there could even be a possibility of them BOTH not making it; especially when you consider the fact that there will be a decent amount of veteran players that are cut as the next few weeks move on. The downside to that thinking of course, is that the player would not have much time to learn a complicated system here when brought in, as a lot of precious time will have expired by then.

There still is the possibility that one of the other WR's steps up, and/or one of Branch/Stallworth making some nice strides in the next few weeks to solidify their roster spot.

As a whole though, it would seem that the WR corps would be in a much better position this year, no matter who is chosen between the two (if indeed the battle is between the two).

At the end of the day let's also keep in mind we're discussing near the bottom of the depth chart. One, the other, both, or neither is unlikely to have a significant impact on the offense given all of the options ahead of them, barring a major injury. This whole debate falls under the "nice problem to have" department.

At the end of the day let's also keep in mind we're discussing near the bottom of the depth chart. One, the other, both, or neither is unlikely to have a significant impact on the offense given all of the options ahead of them, barring a major injury. This whole debate falls under the "nice problem to have" department.

Yes, you certainly make a good point; however "a nice problem to have" can quickly turn into a starting role on the outside, so it will be interesting to keep an eye on the developments of the situation.

Yes, you certainly make a good point; however "a nice problem to have" can quickly turn into a starting role on the outside, so it will be interesting to keep an eye on the developments of the situation.

I didn't mean to come across as complacent about the situation... just that this argument is about at best our 4th option. So whoever wins out in camp, I'm fine with.

Assume Welker, Lloyd and Gaffney have made the cut.

If both were performing as expected and no injuries,
which one would make your final cut, Branch or Stallworth?

If you want to leave a reason for your decision that would be great.

Where's the choice for "both"?

For what it's worth Stallworth has been getting some special teams reps on kickoff returns, further helping his case over Branch.

Sad to say it, but I think Branch is a goner. He seemed to get older as the season went on last year.

I honestly think the answer really comes down to what we want from our receivers. I'll take a different line, I believe that branch would be the 6th option as far as a receiver. From that option I want. Guy who I can put in there in case of injury and play and the offense wouldn't miss a beat.

My argument is branch is that guy as he has so much history with Brady that you can put him anywhere on he field and he will know what to do.

E other side of that argument is you pick stallworth and if Lloyd goes down you dont miss your big play receiver as much.

I am going with branch out of loyalty ATM but this will be a tough battle.

I really don't think that it matters one way or the other. Right now it looks like its more a competition between Branch and Gaffney than Stallworth and Branch, and if that's true its going to be a tough road for Branch.

In the end its going to be a matter of versatility and position flexibility. Branch is ONLY an X and doesn't play special teams. That along with his lack of size, his diminishing skills, and the fact that fewer teams are giving us the soft zone looks that Branch thrived on in the past; make him the most likely casualty, and more than cancel out Brady's "comfort level" with him

I said 2 month ago that sometime in the next 5 weeks, Branch will call a press conference to announce his retirement, much like Bruschi and Brown before him. There will be tears and hugs all around and we will be sent to sit with Faulk on the shadow roster and await a phone call.

Branch can run any route on the tree, and in uptempo or hurry up... Now, he may not be an ideal choice at any position, but his versatility and command of the offense and that thing that fans lose sight of that still impresses coaches, doing all the little things right that help the rest of the offense do their job, carries some weight around here (Gillette, not patsfans.com...). Branch has been seeing as much time on ST as Stallworth this camp. Among the WR's only Lloyd and Gaffney haven't. I don't think his skills are diminishing so much as he wore down over the course of last season as a pretty much full time starter. The beauty of having him on the roster this season is he is truly a plug and play WR in this offense, someone who can come off the bench and not be rusty or shaky. Not so sure Stallworth in a similar situation won't be both.

Good points.
I am looking at it considering depth. LLoyd is the outside threat but if
something happens to him who takes over that role. In that case I think
Stallworth would be better than Branch to fill that role.

Gaffney doesn't suck on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back