PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch not to report until week 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
CrazyDave said:
I'm glad our FO has more patience than I do. I hate this stuff. When I see other teams go through things like this, I think "Boy, I'm glad we don't have to deal with that crap". Let's hope it's EARLY next week.
After all, we DO have a freakin GAME to play.

If I was a guy like Colvin/Vrabel/Bruschi/Harrison etc I'd be PISSED. They've busted their asses on 'not top dollar' deals and played through injury and everything else that we've come to love about this TEAM only to see a guy that ISN'T 'top dollar' hold out while still under contract. I am starting to wonder what this means to the other players that are 'TEAM'/'Patriot' type guys. I mean, Deion was CRYING after the playoff loss last season. You'd think he cared about the things that he'd come to exemplify. I guess he doesn't 'mean it' like some of the other guys do. He's just another Milloy/Law/Woody type, I guess. I'm just let down because I really thought he was the Bruschi-type of the offense. Bummer.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
I really don't see the Pats surviving with Caldwell as the number 1. Is Chad Jackson hurt or something? This whole situation is very odd if you ask me. Are you guys comfortable with your recieving corps without Branch? I really don't see the front office standing pat at the WR spot. I see you guys getting Charles Rogers and if he ever lives up to potential, I sure as hell don't want it to be with you guys.

Chad has a hammy problem and rumored playbook issues (purely speculation on that part). Reche won't really need to be a number one. Between Brown, Caldwell, and Childress I'm sure there'll be about even numbers of catches for the three, with Brown probably getting a slightly larger majority of them (barring health). When Jackson gets back we've got to hope that he catches on quickly. It'd be great to have a guy of his size and speed with great hands out there.

In addition we've got 4 TEs that can catch, and one of the best pass catching RBs in the league in Kevin Faulk, and then there's Maroney and Dillon. I think we'll be alright without Deion, though we'd be much better off WITH him.

Last edited:
I know this is unlikely, but I hope that if he does come back on week 10 Brady never throws a ball his way and sends Dieon his own statement. Especially if at that point the Fins are leading the division.

FU Dieon buddy!

Brownfan80 said:
If I was a guy like Colvin/Vrabel/Bruschi/Harrison etc I'd be PISSED. QUOTE]

What do all these guys have in common? None have been a SB MVP and none are on the offensive side ofthe ball. The money is on the offense for the most part in the NFL. It is easier to quantify the importance of a WR over a defensive safety or linebacker...not saying by any means that Branch is more important, but that is the NFL that nothing new to any of these guys.

Look at the fat contracts rookies are making these days for doing nada... If that doesn't upset them, nothing will.

OK I am fine.........

Methinks some of the players in the locker room may take out some of their angst on him once he gets back - keep your head on a swivel Deoin ya never know.

See you in week 10 with 8 games to go - stretch drive to the playoffs.

The franchise the little weasel next year and maybe even the year after that.

The only way I would think we should do anything else is given a # 1 for him.

Oh one more thing....make sure you pay your 500/M in fines sucker.

sieglo said:
I just can't believe this little weasely ****bird won the Super Bowl MVP over Rodney Harrison, who was the clear and obvious choice.

Screw Branch! Add me to the list of people in favor of benching him when he gets back in week ten, franchising him, and then benching him again, effectively destroying his career.

If we reach the point that the Pats do put the franchise tag on him, what then??
If he doesn't sign it and the Pats revoke it, he becomes a FA with no compensation ala Corey Simon.
What if he doesn't sign the frnchise tender?? IIRC, he is stuck (with the salary of the average of the 5 highest WR-some stuck) with a one year contract or nothing if he doesn't sign it.....
The Pats know this and that they have the leverage, hence the grievance. It's a desparate attempt by Chayut to get him out of town b/c otherwise he's stuck here for '06 and '07...
My gut says that it gets rendered moot by a trade to an NFC team...
Some random questions...
1) Under what part of the CBA are the Pats required to negotiate an extension with DB? Especially since he has one year left on his existing contract? They could simply refuse to offer him a new contract...They won't but they are under no obligation to do so.
2) In law, there is the 'clean hands doctrine' that is, one who seeks equity must do equity. That is, they must fulfill all of their obligations as well. Hello, Mr. Branch, I think that means playing the fifth year of your contract that you signed even though your agent wants to pretend it's a 4 year contract.
There is a defense labelled the "unclean hands" defense when the other party
has not acted in a proper manner. In this case, DB had an obligation (written/signed/reviewed by counsel) to play for the Pats this year.
It takes very large brass ones to claim that the Pats are the breaching party.......
Where in the CBA does it say that you can make your contracts shorter unilaterally if you feel like it????
Not legal opinion, just my $0.02,

tailgater said:
Pats can't bench or suspend him when he comes back.
Any team can choose not to play any player whenever they want. I assume you mean not make him part of the active 45 for the remaining games, which may be some sort of grievance again, but Belichick could have him active for the game and then just sit him on the bench all game.

Drewwho said:
What do all these guys have in common? None have been a SB MVP and none are on the offensive side ofthe ball. The money is on the offense for the most part in the NFL. It is easier to quantify the importance of a WR over a defensive safety or linebacker...not saying by any means that Branch is more important, but that is the NFL that nothing new to any of these guys.

Look at the fat contracts rookies are making these days for doing nada... If that doesn't upset them, nothing will.

My only thought on this was that his MVP was a joke. Without Tom throwing him all those passes how would he have ever caught them? And Tom wasn't even the best player against the eagles. That was easily either Rodney Harrison or Tedy Bruschi. Deion only won, IMO, because of that rediculous catch off the hands/helmet of the PHI defender. If he hadn't made that very visible play, then nobody would have really even noticed his 10 for 133 or whatever it was. He didn't even score a TD!

Tom Brady and the defense were the MVP of that game.

Just my opinion, and I know that doesn't change reality, but it's all just a huge joke, IMO.

Last edited:
Patsfanin Philly said:
In law, there is the 'clean hands doctrine' that is, one who seeks equity must do equity. That is, they must fulfill all of their obligations as well. Hello, Mr. Branch, I think that means playing the fifth year of your contract that you signed even though your agent wants to pretend it's a 4 year contract.
There is a defense labelled the "unclean hands" defense when the other party
has not acted in a proper manner. In this case, DB had an obligation (written/signed/reviewed by counsel) to play for the Pats this year.
It takes very large brass ones to claim that the Pats are the breaching party.......
Where in the CBA does it say that you can make your contracts shorter unilaterally if you feel like it????
Not legal opinion, just my $0.02,

Good stuff. All along Chayut has claimed Branch should get a deal similar to Reggie Wayne. And all along Chayut has quietly ignored the fact that Wayne was an unrestricted free agent when he got his new deal. Wayne played by the rules and got what he wanted. Branch and Chayut are attempting to bend the rules to get what they want.

Unfortunately, most of the rules of the "real world" don't seem to apply in the NFL.

Murphys95 said:
Good stuff. All along Chayut has claimed Branch should get a deal similar to Reggie Wayne. And all along Chayut has quietly ignored the fact that Wayne was an unrestricted free agent when he got his new deal. Wayne played by the rules and got what he wanted. Branch and Chayut are attempting to bend the rules to get what they want.

Unfortunately, most of the rules of the "real world" don't seem to apply in the NFL.

Why are so many anti-Patriot people ignoring this? Borges, Felger - shame on you for not adding balance to your stories. Where is the support from the other clubs?

If Deion gets away with this...what will stop countless number of other players from doing the same? Might this be the road to unfettered free agency?

Murphys95 said:

Indeed. Absolutely.

Not all players have two members of the media pleading

their cases for them.

tailgater said:
That statement was made by shefter earlier in the week.

Pats can't bench or suspend him when he comes back. It's against the cba. It would be in his best interest to play well to get next years offers up.
cant they de activate for "game plan" reasons ? iam sure BB will not let him play if he thinks its an issue with his other members of the team.

SVN said:
cant they de activate for "game plan" reasons ? iam sure BB will not let him play if he thinks its an issue with his other members of the team.
Of course but then D.B. (= Dirt Bag) still gets credit for active service, I would think.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
I really don't see the Pats surviving with Caldwell as the number 1. Is Chad Jackson hurt or something? This whole situation is very odd if you ask me. Are you guys comfortable with your recieving corps without Branch? I really don't see the front office standing pat at the WR spot. I see you guys getting Charles Rogers and if he ever lives up to potential, I sure as hell don't want it to be with you guys.
Me too. I think it would be great if the Dolphins signed Rogers.

fgssand said:
.... If Deion gets away with this...what will stop countless number of other players from doing the same? Might this be the road to unfettered free agency?
Absolutely. The precedent that will be set here is that now clubs MUST allow agents to go out and seek a deal even 'without' club permission before the current contract is up - and then force the club to accept the offer. After all, just who do the NFL clubs think they are, trying to enforce these contracts as they are written. How arrogant is that ? :D :D :D

Well, we just replaced the whining ****y so he can do whatever he likes I guess. Dude, you're becoming irrelevant. Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back