PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch not a man of his word

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
This was posted by ladypatsfan at KFFL, who, If I'm not mistaken, is actually DefenseRules here.

Anyway, hard to believe Branch actually said this recently
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=133998

“My job is to finish my contract regardless of whether I get an extension or not,†Branch said.
“Coach (Bill) Belichick has given me every opportunity to excel here. This is where I want to be, and I’m pretty sure things will work out for me and for us as a unit.

“As far as getting it done now, that’s the part I don’t know. I’ve got a year to go yet. I’m going to enjoy my offseason work, and hopefully we can get something done that makes both parties happy.â€

All of that said, Branch can envision the contract becoming more of an issue as time passes.

“I think if the year starts closing in and nothing’s done, then maybe something starts floating across my mind, that hey, I might not be here,†Branch said. “Who knows if nothing is done by the time the year ends? But that’s a long way off. I still have until next March before free agency. Both parties are going to pray on it and hopefully get something done. If not, we’ll talk about he next part later.â€

That is why he needs to wipe that big grin off his face and get to camp. He'll have every chance to show the Patriots how unfair they were to him by leaving in 7 months. God help us if he goes to the Colts to play on that turf. But that is the time to do it, not now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want this guy signed probably more then anyone.

And I even think it is ok to overpay considering the amount of cap space the Pat have.

But I will find it very hard to take anything this man says seriously after this.

Just makes me think this guy is all fake!

This is just business, the agent is telling what strategy to use. he won't be out of camp very long. The only effect is more reps for Caldwell and Jackson with the first unit, no problem.

sarge said:
This was posted by ladypatsfan at KFFL, who, If I'm not mistaken, is actually DefenseRules here.

Anyway, hard to believe Branch actually said this recently
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=133998

He never said he wouldn't hold out though, sure he could come back before the season starts and finish the original contract, but not likely.

This holdout is simply a negotiating tactic, he's just showing he's serious about this extension.

Last edited:
Maybe Belichick told him to fake a holdout then cave and show up gaining nothing to help undo the Seymour precedent ;) :bricks:

richpats said:
He never said he wouldn't hold out though, sure he could come back before the season starts and finish the original contract, but not likely.

This holdout is simply a negotiating tactic, he's just showing he's serious about this extension.

Branch said:
“My job is to finish my contract regardless of whether I get an extension or not,â€

He is under contract to show up to camp!

Branch's agent agreed to have him show up in camp on time

provided the Pats did not put the franchise tag on him in 2007.

Jimke said:
Branch's agent agreed to have him show up in camp on time

provided the Pats did not put the franchise tag on him in 2007.

So that somehow makes what he said above sincere????

Maybe they edited that part out of Branches quote.

Perhaps what he really said was
What Branch said said:
"My job is to finish my contract regardless of whether I get an extension or not , but of course I may skip min camp, and the previous is only true if after I miss minicamp, the team still promises not to franchise me the following season "
Yeah, I could understand why they left that out of the quote. Probably wasn't important.

I personally do not totally blame Branch for holding out. I think he has outperformed his contract.

But don't portray yourself in a good light as someone who intends on honoring there contract when in fact that isn't who you are at all.

The fact of the matter is this. When Branch said what he said last April, he was not being sincere.

Last edited:
The strength of the Wolf is in the Pack.

See you later Deion

Calm down.....it is simple negotiating.

He will be resigned, all will be forgiven and BB will once again call him Deion.

Notice, hoever, until he does sign - BB will either call him 'the player" or "Branch" and spend NO time discussing his situation, except to say he will only talk about players that are in camp.

My opinion...

The fact is that rookies sign fair market contracts offered by the teams that take a chance and draft them. There's no guarantee's the rookies signing these contracts are even going to make the teams that selected them let alone make that big "pay-day" at the end of the contract. Teams take a chance on any rookie they sign.
Branch has put the Patriots Brass on alert letting them know he feels his worth now far exceeds the terms of his original rookie contract. I would agree. He's letting them know he's unhappy and wants to re-negotiate. From what I've read the Pat's front office has done what they don't like to do and are not required or obligated to do and that is to offer Branch a substantial contract upgrade now prior to the original contract expiration date. Maybe he'll reconsider and maybe not. Maybe they'll reconsider maybe not.
The bottom line is Branch signed a contract and by law is bound to honor that contract. Many believe the owners have the upper hand dealing with NFL contracts and the players get the short end of the stick. Oh well! The NFL Laws are written and the contracts signed for a reason. No matter how I feel I say this to Mr Branch...honor your contract! The Patriots know where you're coming from and have offered you more. Nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to sign a rookie contract with NE. They rolled the dice with you when they drafted you and now you're so close to that "pot o' gold" at the end of that long rookie rainbow. Here's what you should do until you finally reach it...

"You can act like a MAN!" Suck it up...show up to camp...and do your friggin' job! The one you contracted to do a few years ago!

The irony of it is that this type of contract structure was negotiated and AGREED to by the PLAYERS' ASSOCIATION. If anybody thinks that there was some kind of gun to Upshaw's head to agree to this contract structure, they haven't been paying attention.

Think about it - the PA didn't want any shorter contracts for the rookies because they wanted to reserve more of the pie for the veterans and superstars. It's that simple.

The whole bashing of the teams by the agents is brain-dead and truly reprehensible. With a fixed cap, if one agent gets his guy a bigger deal and quicker, some other player is going to get less. In other terminology, it's a zero sum game. And yet it is the teams that are villified and not the agents who are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Go figure.

Upshaw must laugh himself to sleep each night thinking about how the teams are getting tarred and feathered when the players and agents should be furious with him. What a con artist.

For the few posters who still feel that teams have an unfair upper hand, you really really need to remember two things. The PA negotiated it this way !! !! !! The teams are simply taking advantage of what the deal was that was negotiated. How is that unfair ?? !! ?? And the players take advantage of every single loophole or provision and almost all have no fan or team loyalty in the slightest. Actually, if anybody has an unfair upper hand, it's the PLAYERS !! They are the ones who are constantly putting pressure on the teams to let them out of their contracts - and many many succeed in doing so !! !! On the other hand, name me even JUST ONE player where the team didn't live up to the contract when it was all lopsided in the player's favor ?? You CAN'T name one. The past is littered with union grievances, arbitration, and law suits - and the teams have had to live up to every single contract term. The second thing that seems so hard for some folks to GET is that the contract structure AS NEGOTIATED BY THE PLAYERS' ASSOCIATION is predicated on up front bonus guaranteed money. The player gets that NO MATTER WHAT !! !! How fair is that when the player turns out to be a miserable lazy bum or just plain incapable of learning how to play at the NFL level but gets to keep every red cent of the bonus money ?? Think about it - the party with the unfair upper hand is not the teams - it's the players !! The very specific tradeoff as agreed to in negotiation by the PA was to trade up front guaranteed money for the teams' option to terminate the term of the contract - not only does that seem like a reasonably fair tradeoff, but it IS WHAT WAS NEGOTIATED AND AGREED TO BY THE PA. Period - end of story. I get so sick of people claiming the teams are being 'unfair' when they terminate a contract early !! That is exactly the structure of the NFL contract. You want to talk about another aspect of the players having wrenched an unfair advantage and breached contracts to their advantage ? How about the NEGOTIATED terms of how initial bonus money has to be returned to the team under certain contractual conditions - like busting yourself up riding a motorcycle or using dope. How many times can you cite where the teams actually got back the money they were contractually entited to ?? My guess is you can't name a single time where the team got back all of the bonus money it was due. How unfair is that on the player's side ?? Unfair advantage is when one side somehow or another gets away without living up to the terms of a contract. As I said before - I don't think you can come up with a single citation where any team did not have to live up to every single term of contracts. On the other hand, the landscape is littered with cases where players forced early renegotation of a contract, reneged on giving back forfeited bonus money, or won grievances where they were allowed to shaft the team with rotten behavior. So just which side has the unfair upper hand ?? It sure ain't the teams folks.

Let me make one thing as crystal clear as I can. I'm not a person who has a prejudice in the slightest one way or the other as to whether teams or players SHOULD have an upper hand. I am a person who thinks that the Collective Bargaining Agreement, however the terms are negotiated, is WHAT IS FAIR because it was what was signed off on by both parties. What is so hard about that ?? Not only that, but the PA just had another crack at negotation - you may have a different opinion, but I think the PA had the hammer hand. So how can any of what happens to players be "unfair" to the player ?? ?? ??

As you can undoubtedly tell, what I do get really irritated with are folks who want to ignore what was negotiated by the PA and decide that there is a 'fairer' set of groundrules. That is a proposition that I find totally without merit or deserving of the slightest respect - and that is about the kindest I can say it.

So from my standpoint - I haven't the slightest problem with players looking for bigger contracts elsewhere - more power to them, even though I may have a lot of regret in some cases. I haven't the slightest problem with players pressuring the team to get out of their current legitimate contract and get a new one more to their advantage - it's the good old American way. But I sure as heck also haven't the SLIGHTEST problem with the Patriots deciding to refuse the pressure and sticking to the current legitimate contract - that's the good old American way in the tradition of a hand shake and both parties living up to their end of a bargain truly struck with the full knowledge and willing agreement of both parties.

Now I feel better.

In this particular case, I think both Branch and the Patriots are proceeding in the good old American way, and I have no heartburn either way - it will be what it will be. As a hopeless fan, I would really like to see Branch be a Patriot for years to come. But, we'll just have to see what happens. I appreciate the 'high ground' that the Patriots take where they do not let any criticisms or even viewpoints get into the media, however irritating that apparently is to the likes of Borges types. Just my own personal viewpoint - but I get pretty disgusted and even angry at the bashing the players and agents do at times - I think it's pretty ugly and completely reprehensible.

Cheers.

arrellbee said:
Actually, if anybody has an unfair upper hand, it's the PLAYERS !! They are the ones who are constantly putting pressure on the teams to let them out of their contracts - and many many succeed in doing so !! !! On the other hand, name me even JUST ONE player where the team didn't live up to the contract when it was all lopsided in the player's favor ?? You CAN'T name one.
I can't name one? You mean I should name two? WMG & Ty Law.

Last edited:
richpats said:

Holding out is not honoring your contract.

spacecrime said:
I can't name one? You mean I should name two? WMG & Ty Law.
What do you mean ?? ?? ?? How did the Patriots not live up to the terms of the contract ?? ??

arrellbee said:
What do you mean ?? ?? ?? How did the Patriots not live up to the terms of the contract ?? ??
Are you serious? They cut each player rather than live up to the last year of the contract.

WMG's contrtact called for him to receive about $8 million dollars this year. Instead the pats cut him.

For Ty Law, it was about $12 million last year.

This year they also cut Dwayne Starks and Tyrone Poole, preferring not to pay them the rest of their contracts.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
Are you serious? They cut each player rather than live up to the last year of the contract.

WMG's contrtact called for him to receive about $8 million dollars this year. Instead the pats cut him.

For Ty Law, it was about $12 million.

This year they also cut Dwayne Starks and Tyrone Poole.

Lets get a few things straight.

1) WMG ADMITED that the last year of his contract was a bogus year. So, how is cutting that bogus year NOT living up to his contract?

2) Ty Law ASKED to be released. The Patriots obliged him.

3) Dwayne Starks and Ty Poole didn't live up to their contracts.

Sorry, Spacecrime, but you are reaching.

spacecrime said:

For Ty Law, it was about $12 million last year.

This year they also cut Dwayne Starks and Tyrone Poole, preferring not to pay them the rest of their contracts.
We go through this every year. The players know that their contracts amount to a signing bonus and a series of one year contracts that each have a team option. That's all that needs to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes