PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch, Meriweather and Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Anyone else find it apt that the three best players in the Seattle game were the chess pieces in the Branch trade to Seattle?

Branch who was traded for a first round pick that became Brandon Meriweather. And Welker who was acquired from the Fins as Deon's less famous and lower cost replacement. Seems like all the major plays involved those three guys.

Nice to see your perspective around, rook.

It also seems that Welker's rise beginning in Miami coincided almost exactly with Branch's fall in production.

Meriweather was horrible today.

But ended up making the biggest defensive play of the game, so all is well.

Anyone else find it apt that the three best players in the Seattle game were the chess pieces in the Branch trade to Seattle?

Branch who was traded for a first round pick that became Brandon Meriweather. And Welker who was acquired from the Fins as Deon's less famous and lower cost replacement. Seems like all the major plays involved those three guys.

Welker involvement is a bit of a stretch. Also, I don't think Meriweather was one of the best players in the game today. Meriweather got burnt a lot early to earn such an honor. The guy redeemed him self late in the game, but he had an uneven performance today.

One of the most satisfying aspects of the gut-it-out win today was seeing Deion Branch walk off the field with a long face. All that showboating and fawning by the announcers (**** Enberg, "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN IF YOU'VE JUST JOINED US YOU ARE WITNESSING ONE OF THE MOST SPECTACULAR CATCHES!!!" - geez ****, lay off the sauce) didn't pay off. Ha Ha. Until I read this thread, I forgot the Merriweather connection, so that's a bit of poetic justice too! Merriweather did look pretty bad all day, but that last play did keep us out of certain overtime and perhaps a loss, so he redeemed himself (at least for today).

Welker's more of a Troy Brown replacement, though.

But ended up making the biggest defensive play of the game, so all is well.

Why? Because he let up a few completions happen to a guy with 6 inches and 40 pounds on him? So did Mayo, Guyton, and pretty much anyone else covering the middle of the field. Other than that, Meriweather had a good game.

Last edited:
Why? Because he let up a few completions happen to a guy with 6 inches and 40 pounds on him? So did Mayo, Guyton, and pretty much anyone else covering the middle of the field. Other than that, Meriweather had a good game.

Have to agree. Of all the secondary issues to complain about, I think Meriweather has had a very good second year. Let's not forget, he's almost a rookie too, as he really didn't get consistent snaps until late in the year last year.

What I also like about him is he seems to have a good off-season mindset of, "I'm weak in X area, so I'm going to work my ass off to improve in it." He dropped a lot of interceptions last year, worked on his hands all off-season, and now leads the team in INTs (though granted it's a modest 4, but he's a safety.)

I think that bodes very well for him in the future.

Well, I'll take our #83 over their #83 any day. But if we could have them both...

As Dion says "I Love Me Some Welse Weker".

NFL Video Galleries

Last edited:
One of the most satisfying aspects of the gut-it-out win today was seeing Deion Branch walk off the field with a long face. All that showboating and fawning by the announcers (**** Enberg, "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN IF YOU'VE JUST JOINED US YOU ARE WITNESSING ONE OF THE MOST SPECTACULAR CATCHES!!!" - geez ****, lay off the sauce) didn't pay off. Ha Ha. Until I read this thread, I forgot the Merriweather connection, so that's a bit of poetic justice too! Merriweather did look pretty bad all day, but that last play did keep us out of certain overtime and perhaps a loss, so he redeemed himself (at least for today).

Wow. You're a pretty angry fan. All players, regardless of team, go out and earn their money. Don't be a player hater-it's unattractive.

Wow. You're a pretty angry fan. All players, regardless of team, go out and earn their money. Don't be a player hater-it's unattractive.

I didnt see any anger in her post. And don't be a player hater....eh...i'll do what i want.

I think you read way too much into what Patsdeb said. Now, me, I consider Deion Branch to be a scumbag liar. I think its been apropos that, since he left New England the way he did, he's been a flop.

I'm not angry at all. Just annoyed at the announcers and glad Branch didn't come out with the win. See, I'm smiling :)

Peter King doesn't agree with you and neither do I. He almost had a pick six as well on the second offensive play of the game for Seattle, he made a great effort and nearly had it. He did get beat by Branch for a TD, but most Safeties will get beat one-on-one with WR's.

NFL heading for wild finish - Peter King - SI.com
Defensive Players of the Week

Brandon Meriweather, S, New England. This is the kind of breakout game that can launch a player's career. Six tackles -- three of them behind the line of scrimmage -- plus one sack, two passes defensed and the most important forced fumble of his two-year career. With 1:56 left in the fourth quarter, he leaped over the line to sack Seneca Wallace, forcing the fumble that essentially ended the game. With injuries already battering the defense, and Vince Wilfork, Tedy Bruschi and James Sanders leaving the game with more of them, young guys like Meriweather have to come through for this team to make it to January.

If you can tell how well a defensive back is covering by watching on TV I congratulate you. A few times it's obvious, but usually you just see the completion and the last few strides.

I love Dion on NFL Network

and I to am lovin me some "Welse Weker"

On both Branch TDs I thought the coverage was strong enough to force hard catches. The first one had Branch toe-tapping after running a nice route and Wallace threw a tight ball. Not bad one-on-one coverage of a WR for a CB, let alone a safety, in my opinion.

I can only remember (and see a replay) of one other play and Meriweather was in coverage as Wallace hit Carlson for a 25 yard gain in the first drive of the second quarter. Again, tough completion to make.

Any others? It's unreasonable to expect perfection out of any player - especially a DB. He was a difference maker today.

I'm not angry at all. Just annoyed at the announcers and glad Branch didn't come out with the win. See, I'm smiling :)

Branch didn't honor his contract and tried to screw his teammates and team. Not the same as trying to get a contract which is what Asante did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down