PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Branch Holding Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/07/26/branch_not_reporting_to_camp/

Branch not reporting to camp

Patriots receiver unhappy with offer

By Ron Borges, Globe Staff | July 26, 2006

FOXBOROUGH -- Barring a last-minute change, the Patriots will open training camp Friday without one of their most significant players for the second year in a row.

After mulling his options for several days, No. 1 wide receiver Deion Branch decided last night he will not report to camp despite facing a $14,000-per-day fine. A year ago, Richard Seymour sat out of camp until the Patriots agreed to bump up his contract by more than $1 million before making him one of the NFL's highest-paid defensive linemen this past offseason.

``Deion will not be in camp until he feels he's being treated fairly," said Branch's agent, Jason Chayut. Branch, who has a year remaining on his rookie contract, which was signed in 2002, has yet to comment publicly on his situation. He did not attend the team's mandatory minicamp and now says he won't be at the opening of training camp.

Last edited:
OK, Chad and Reche, you're up.

Hopefully this just means they get a deal done quicker, I know that is the glass half full optimism on my part, but I don't think Deion wants to be out 14k ped day and I don't think the team wants to be without its number 1 wide out for that long.

Poor little Deion, not being treated fairly. Waaaaaah.

Get to camp you f*cking baby.

This will get settled soon. Branch would be an idiot to lose so much money every day, and his salary this year isn't that great to begin with so these fines are a huge chunk of his paycheck.

Get ready for the Chad Jackson era everyone.
This kid Jackson is going to be a superstar.

Not a big deal. Branch would never play in the preseason anyway, so it's same-old, same-old!

Last edited:
I really hate this. It's a slippery slope. First we appease Seymour, now Branch figures it'll work for him too. I hope Caldwell and Jackson tear it up in the preseason.

Tunescribe said:
I really hate this. It's a slippery slope. First we appease Seymour, now Branch figures it'll work for him too.
That's why I don't think it will be as easy for Branch. They need to let the team know that doing something for Seymour doesn't set a precedent for everyone else - because there's only one other player on the team as good as Seymour, and that's #12.

OK, for what it's worth (nothing) here's my prediction: Like most players, he no doubt despises early camp. Two a days and conditioning runs in August humidity sucks big time. It will only take Brady and Branch a week or so to get their timing down so Branch signs along about the 3rd pre-season game, around the end of August. Although I think it's against league rules for a team to forgive and/or pay a player's fines, he'll eventually get enough to make himself and the team happy and the fines will get "paid" somehow. If Branch isn't in the starting line-up come opening day, I'd say about 99.99% of the football world will be shocked.

Tunescribe said:
I really hate this. It's a slippery slope. First we appease Seymour, now Branch figures it'll work for him too.

I just hope Asante and Eugene don't try it next year :rolleyes:

maverick4 said:
This will get settled soon. Branch would be an idiot to lose so much money every day, and his salary this year isn't that great to begin with so these fines are a huge chunk of his paycheck.
Well, he isn't planning on holding out for a couple weeks then returning fokr the same pay.

He is planning on getting a $6-10 million dollar signing bonus, and he can pay his fines out fo that. Or part of his signing deal could be waiving the fines. Fines aren't mandatory, neither is their amount.

His whole pan has to be based on the Patriots blinking first.

It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out. Personally, I think it would be fiscal suicide for the Pats to cave now. It would jsu set up future holdouts. In fact, I recall some people saying this about settling with Seymour.

And it happened as they said it would. The difference of course is that Branch is not Seymour. A WR in the Pats scheme is more easily replaced that an elite DT/DE.

And you can bet that Troy, Reche and Chad have jsut upped their intensity with the prospect of being a major contributor. Out loud they will say all the right things in support of both Branch and the Pats, but inwardly they have to see this as a major opportunity.

usmcmgb said:
OK, for what it's worth (nothing) here's my prediction: Like most players, he no doubt despises early camp. Two a days and conditioning runs in August humidity sucks big time. It will only take Brady and Branch a week or so to get their timing down so Branch signs along about the 3rd pre-season game, around the end of August. Although I think it's against league rules for a team to forgive and/or pay a player's fines, he'll eventually get enough to make himself and the team happy and the fines will get "paid" somehow. If Branch isn't in the starting line-up come opening day, I'd say about 99.99% of the football world will be shocked.

A holdout is annoying to a fan, but its actually a message from Branch that he is fully intent on signing a long-term deal with the Pats. There really is no other ending to this story. He's not going to play the 2006 season without some long-term security and he can't get that from any other team (unless he's traded). He knows that a pay-raise is out of the question since its his last year of the contract (Seymour had 2 left). He's beyond the point of saying, "ok, I'll show up and play out the final year of my deal then go into free agency". He'll have gained nothing and would risk injury that could drive his FA dollars way down.

BelichickFan said:
.... They need to let the team know that doing something for Seymour doesn't set a precedent for everyone else - because there's only one other player on the team as good as Seymour, and that's #12.

I sure feel crummy suddenly ... rooting against one of our stalwarts (who i really wish was in camp).

But if Twig thinks 5 1/2 to 6 million a year ... for his choice of 3 or 5 years! ... doesn't pay him properly
... he can drop dead.

No way can anyone but Ron Bogus portray the Pats as low-balling this man.
Branch is not bigger than the team ... and the team concept.
Move him.

I think it says something that Deion is making his holdout public two days before camp opens. Gives them some time to know his intentions, and hopefully get something done so he doesn't have to hold out long. I agree with the previous post though, clearly he would like to be with the Pats long term and that's a good sign. He could just play out the season then cash in when some idiot team is ready to overpay him.

flutie2phelan said:
I sure feel crummy suddenly ... rooting against one of our stalwarts (who i really wish was in camp).

But if Twig thinks 5 1/2 to 6 million a year ... for his choice of 3 or 5 years! ... doesn't pay him properly
... he can drop dead.

No way can anyone but Ron Bogus portray the Pats as low-balling this man.
Branch is not bigger than the team ... and the team concept.
Move him.

I agree with every word you wrote. I'm getting to the point of zero tolerance with this crapola. He wouldn't be underpaid at $5 million a year, and the team is offering him more than that.

BelichickFan said:
That's why I don't think it will be as easy for Branch. They need to let the team know that doing something for Seymour doesn't set a precedent for everyone else - because there's only one other player on the team as good as Seymour, and that's #12.

Exactly.

The only way this works is if you are the best in the NFL at your position.

I think the world of Deion, and want him back badly, but he is not the best in the league at his position!

richpats said:
I just hope Asante and Eugene don't try it next year :rolleyes:

They'd have about as much leverage as if Patrick Pass held out. Wilson a little more, but they're not #1 receivers or the best defensive lineman in the league.

Yawn.

If he hasn't reported by the start of practice the week of the opening game I'll care.

richpats said:
A holdout is annoying to a fan, but its actually a message from Branch that he is fully intent on signing a long-term deal with the Pats. There really is no other ending to this story.
Yeah, there is. There is the Ogunleye ending, where he holds out until he is traded.

Both Branch and Ogunleye have the exact same attitude: "I ain't playing until I am paid more than I am."

There is also the ending where the Pats give him a big raise this year. That is another ending to this story. Youk don't think Bracnh would paly for $5 mil this year and be a free agent next year?

And there is the hold out until week ten, then play out the year to free agency.

Plenty of endings to teh story, none good. Either Branch capitulates and plays out his contract as signed, or the Pats cave and open future hold-out floodgates.

My ending? Pats give him big money, Branch comes back, get hurt, goes on IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes