PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brainstorming......Ryan Mallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Addendum!! PROPS for using "obtuseness" in a sentence!! :D :rocker:

It joined MY vocabulary, as WELL, that fine day!!
Thanks for taking the time and having the patience to clarify your position to me. I now understand it perfectly. Of course I completely disagree, but that's neither here nor there. ;)

We shall see as time goes on what the future of Ryan Mallet turns out to be. But for now I still see him as trade fodder. I still see him as being better than anyone that's going to be drafted in the 2nd round. And I still love the thought of having a high 2nd round pick and how we can use it to produce the best 4 players we can, and a couple of extra picks for next year.

Last edited:
I'm all for dealing Mallett, but I really don't think the right team is out there to deal him to. Miami would be perfect because he could sit behind moore for a year, but I don't think BB will trade him within the division.

As people have said, he's not a fit in Cleveland. None of their WRs are even good matches for him.

I think we can get a 1st rounder for him eventually, so I wouldn't be in such a rush to get a 2 this year.
I disagree on a couple of points. First I think Cleveland is a great place for him to go. With there first 2 picks they can get a premier WR plus Richardson. Also if he is progressing here, in THIS offense, he can run a so called WCO in Cleveland its not that different.l 2ndly, you are less likely to get a 2nd for him next year,let alone a first after he's the #3 QB again.

Trade Hoyer to Cleveland for picks 100, a fifth rounder (139 or 160) and 211

Trade Hoyer to Cleveland for picks 100, a fifth rounder (139 or 160) and 211
And what purpose does THAT serve. We would lose our best back up QB option and all we'd receive is another low level draft pick who is unlikely to make the roster.

Trading one of our QB's only makes sense if we get a pick high enough to use to trade up. We don't need MORE draft picks.

Last edited:
I don't think that anyone could argue that it is a sellers market for QB talent. It probably always will be. Now with that said, I would only consider the following in a trades for our two backup QBs:

Hoyer: a 2013 2nd rounder + 2012 5th rounder
Mallett: a 2013 1st rounder

If a team balks, then tell them to pound salt. We don't *need* to make a deal. Also, it is more likely teams would deal a future pick as it wouldn't leave a hole in their board this year. My preference is to deal Hoyer, mostly because we have less flexibility with him. We have Mallett under wraps for a couple more seasons. In theory, we could develop another backup and deal Mallett in the next two years.

Last edited:
Of course I completely disagree, but that's neither here nor there. ;)

We shall see as time goes on what the future of Ryan Mallet turns out to be.

But for now I still see him as trade fodder.

You do realize that I've been describing Mallett as trade fodder for the last 12 months, right?? ;)

Apparently you're confused because we've been arguing about his Trade Value.

Welcome aboard. :rolleyes:

You do realize that I've been describing Mallett as trade fodder for the last 12 months, right?? ;)

Apparently you're confused because we've been arguing about his Trade Value.

Welcome aboard. :rolleyes:
I thought it was apparent the moment they drafted him that he was merely a pawn in the great conspiracy BB weaves on draft days. But you are right our only disagreement of Mallet is what his perceived value is to the rest of the league. BTW- Why is it that when I talk to you, Grid, my language automatically becomes more grandiose and flowery. ;)

....and have you noticed on that my idea is gaining some traction today?

- Mallett is certainly no less than the 4th best QB in this draft. You could make a very good argument for #3.

- I don't see Cleveland as a fit due to their offense.

- Cassel would have brought more had he not been Franchised at around $10M and in need of a new contract.

- All that said, I'm not sure Bill is too anxious to trade Mallet. Whether we like it or not Brady is getting old(er) and injuries may sneak up on him. Not to mention, as well as he appears to be aging, the dreaded "diminished skills" could sneak up at any time. If we trade Mallet we have no backup QB for 2013 unless we can re-sign Hoyer at bigger money. Mallet gives us a backup who knows the system for 2013 while providing exceptional physical ability at a low cost. I know where we drafted him but I wouldn't trade him for the 37th pick when a guy like Tanehill is going top ten.

Good points all!
DW Toys

Lamanai put the idea in my head in the Bedard mock thread and I can't get it out of my mind

have you noticed on that my idea is gaining some traction today?

That's, um...an interesting slant on reality you have there, Brother Ken. ;)

You're 12 months late to the party, my friend.
icon_redface.gif

This idea has been bandied about since last April, on maybe a dozen Threads.

But if you want to join the conversation a year late and call it "your idea", knock yourself out!!
thumb.gif
jester.gif

And what purpose does THAT serve. We would lose our best back up QB option and all we'd receive is another low level draft pick who is unlikely to make the roster.

Trading one of our QB's only makes sense if we get a pick high enough to use to trade up. We don't need MORE draft picks.

in what tangible way is hoyer the best backup QB?

I think mallett is already a better QB and a legit prospect to be the next pats starting QB.

hoyer is another damon huard, john freisz, etc.

Do you know where Hoyer was drafted? (Hint: He wasn't)

I think mallett is already a better QB and a legit prospect to be the next pats starting QB.

I think Ken was referring to the current state of the Patriots, not the long-term career trajectory (since Hoyer was active and Mallett wasn't).

I disagree, if the Pats had a game tomorrow and Brady was stuck in Brazil, you'd really want Mallet to start ahead of Hoyer? I don't think so. While I agree with you that Mallet has a much higher upside than Hoyer, for this year at least, Hoyer is the primary back up

I disagree, if the Pats had a game tomorrow and Brady was stuck in Brazil, you'd really want Mallet to start ahead of Hoyer? I don't think so. While I agree with you that Mallet has a much higher upside than Hoyer, for this year at least, Hoyer is the primary back up

I am pretty certain of one thing.........if brady is not here, this team is screwed.......and that hoyer has no chance of putting this team in the playoffs......ever

with that in mind along with the fact that hoyer is here for one more year AT THE MOST, I'll take my chances with Mallett and use the year to see if I need to go in another direction long term.

nothing against hoyer, but he'll never be a legit NFL starter.

I think Ken was referring to the current state of the Patriots, not the long-term career trajectory (since Hoyer was active and Mallett wasn't).

Mallett has been in the program for a year and will have gone through a full offseason program.

Mallett being inactive last year is irrelevant to next season

I am pretty certain of one thing.........if brady is not here, this team is screwed.......and that hoyer has no chance of putting this team in the playoffs......ever

with that in mind along with the fact that hoyer is here for one more year AT THE MOST, I'll take my chances with Mallett and use the year to see if I need to go in another direction long term.

nothing against hoyer, but he'll never be a legit NFL starter.

What are you basing this on?

Tarot cards

Forgive me if I base my assessment off of what I've observed of him on the field: a poised and accurate QB. I'd gladly spend a 2nd on him and give him a shot at a starting job.

Do you know where Hoyer was drafted? (Hint: He wasn't)
Don't be a smart ass. Its common knowledge that Hoyer was an UDFA. What's you point? The question is what good would a 5th or 6th round pick do for the Pats this year. BB has already acquired players in FA that will take ST and role playing spots that usually went to draft picks. Any more than 5 picks in this draft will be a waste. So why trade Hoyer for a draft pick you DON'T need?

Don't be a smart ass. Its common knowledge that Hoyer was an UDFA. What's you point? The question is what good would a 5th or 6th round pick do for the Pats this year. BB has already acquired players in FA that will take ST and role playing spots that usually went to draft picks. Any more than 5 picks in this draft will be a waste. So why trade Hoyer for a draft pick you DON'T need?

Couldn't agree with you more--all around.

No use getting rid of the guy who would immediately backup Brady if the season started today. His knowledge of the system is miles apart from Mallett, although I think you made a good point in stating Mallett's upside being way better.

I don't think either one of them gets traded this yr, there's no reason to...at least not at this point. I think we need to know more about Mallett first, and I think that Hoyer's value to this team in particular, is much higher than anyone else right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back