PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brainstorming......Ryan Mallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this silly obsession with getting rid of Mallett......IMO he's the QB prospect we have for the future. Hoyer is a nice success story but if he isn't packaged in this year's draft or for another player then I find it hard to see him being here after next season.

Put it this way; Hoyer will not be a Patriot for the 2013 season and, in 2015 when Brady and Mallett are both up for renewal, a big decision will have to be made.

I agree. Except to say that the Pats were hardly falling over themselves to draft him. They tried first to trade out of the pick so it's not like they necessarily see him as the future either.

Yeah, I have no problem moving Mallett, but I don't think we will get the most value before the draft. He's under contract for 3 more years so there is no need to rush to trade him. I think we hold on to him and if someone goes down in camp or gets desperate early in the season like the Raiders did with the Carson Palmer, then we make a move.
No one is going to give the Pats more than a 2nd for Mallet, given his lack of playing experience. It only makes sense in THIS case because you are comparing Mallet to the quality or rather lack of quality of the 2nd tier QB prospect that exist this year, including a couple of guys that are slated to go in the 2nd round. Mallet is clearly a better prospect than those 2 (the old guy and the AZ QB, both whose names escape me now) So if you are going to use a 2nd round pick anyway on a QB, why not give it up for the better prospect.

That's why you do it BEFORE the draft, That way the Pats gain the MOST flexibility to use that pick to their greatest advantage. If its done in camp or later, the Pats would have to wait until 2013 for their benefit PLUS lose the main reason for wanting the pick in the first place which is to now have the ability to trade up to about any place in the first round they want. (up to 4 reasonably)

This draft "seems" to be one where the talent level drops off considerably after the first 15 and there isn't much difference between prospects you can get in the 20's and prospects that are in the 40's. IF there is a guy the Pats like, say Fletcher Cox, with the Mallet deal they can get to the top ten (where he is likely to go) and get him, and STILL end up with 4 players in the top 62.

How does Brian Hoyer's one year contract prevent Mallet from getting significant reps over the last three years of his contract?
Good question, Borg. I would assume under this scenario the Pats extend Hoyer to 3 years as the same price as his RFA tag. That shouldn't be to hard to arrange. Unless he gets significant playing time, like Cassell did, his perceived value around the league won't rise much higher than than it is right now. So making more than $2MM/yr to be Tom Brady's best bud, isn't hard labor.

This is a pretty ancient subject, actually. Many have bandied this about.

I'm working on V14.0 of my Mock, and every version starts with dumping Mallett.

I doubt we'd get a 2nd Rounder, but it's conceivable.

Our best chance, in my opinion, is the Fish.

If TanneHill goes early and to someone else, it's pretty wide open.

And if that fool owner of theirs thinks Mallett's better'n the others out there ~ and the crops are pretty freaking thin!! ~ he just might be stupid enough to cough up a 2nd Rounder.

Indeed, it was rumored that they liked Mallett, last year, and even tried to Trade Up to get'm!!

I'd be very surprised if Holmgrem gave up a 2nd Rounder for'm.

Seems more feasible that he'd swap a 3rd Rounder for Hoyer, but that's just my take.
Glad to see great minds think alike. ;) However I question your estimate that he'd only bring a third. That would mean that you think that the "old guy" and the AZ QB are better prospects than Mallet (and I doubt that), OR you don't think either would be chosen in the 2nd round.

However if you agree with me that Mallet IS the better prospect, and both those guys will be picked in the 2nd round, then you HAVE to put a 2nd round value on Mallet. Am I right?

- Mallett is certainly no less than the 4th best QB in this draft. You could make a very good argument for #3.
Its the LACK of quality QB prospects in this draft make it more likely that Mallet would be at his MOST valuable along with the fact he now has a year into a good NFL program. Guys after Tannyhill not only don't have Mallet's passing skills, they are also lack his NFL experience. I've seen several mocks that have 2 of these guys going in the 2nd round. Why not use that pick to trade for a guy who is already better than those choices. Its a no-brainer

BTW BF, the Pats offense features concentration on short throws to a variety of receivers. Accuracy and decision making are the 2 most important qualities for a QB in this system. If Mallet can function in THIS system he can function in the WCO offense which coincidentally, relies on accuracy and good decision making.

No idea why people are so keen on getting rid of Mallett when we haven't even really seen what we've got in the guy. If the potential is there, I'd be more in favor of keeping him around and grooming his as the heir presumptive.

I don't see him trading him. He is cheap and will have 3 or 4 years in the system when Brady retires. Next year Hoyer will move on.

The likely hood that Brady plays the next three years, while in his mid 30s without missing significant time is remote.

Three off seasons of exhibition games and film studies will show if he has the ability to take the reins from Brady. I think he does.
Granted time catches up with everyone, but you might have noticed that Brady is coming off his 2 BEST seasons of his career! The collapse of his skills are a few seasons away.

Its the LACK of quality QB prospects in this draft make it more likely that Mallet would be at his MOST valuable along with the fact he now has a year into a good NFL program. Guys after Tannyhill not only don't have Mallet's passing skills, they are also lack his NFL experience. I've seen several mocks that have 2 of these guys going in the 2nd round. Why not use that pick to trade for a guy who is already better than those choices. Its a no-brainer

BTW BF, the Pats offense features concentration on short throws to a variety of receivers. Accuracy and decision making are the 2 most important qualities for a QB in this system. If Mallet can function in THIS system he can function in the WCO offense which coincidentally, relies on accuracy and good decision making.

That's the trouble. Teams don't know whether he can function in THIS system. All that they'ge got to go on is that the Pats put the highest possible tender on Brian Hoyer (I think) and re-signed him. Suggests they're not altogether happy to let Mallett be Brady's back up just yet.

That's the trouble. Teams don't know whether he can function in THIS system. All that they'ge got to go on is that the Pats put the highest possible tender on Brian Hoyer (I think) and re-signed him. Suggests they're not altogether happy to let Mallett be Brady's back up just yet.

They put a second round tender on Hoyer (the second highest) which told me that I don't think they're all that bothered. I expected a first round tender (which isn't all that much more expensive than a second) for the reasons you stated. If they had put a first then I would say they see Hoyer as the only possible backup right now and would carry three QBs once again.

They didn't however and I think they would listen to offers for Hoyer. Everything that I hear points in the direction the team is very happy with Mallett and he spent his red shirted year toning up and getting fitter which, reportedly, he did a very good job of. His weight is down and he;s faster.

Last edited:
I agree. Except to say that the Pats were hardly falling over themselves to draft him. They tried first to trade out of the pick so it's not like they necessarily see him as the future either.
For the Pats to pick him that high in a position of absolute NO need, they HAD to have had him rated MUCH higher than what was left on the board. So that crap about the Pats not "falling over themselves to draft him" simply doesn't wash.

For the Pats to pick him that high in a position of absolute NO need, they HAD to have had him rated MUCH higher than what was left on the board. So that crap about the Pats not "falling over themselves to draft him" simply doesn't wash.

It's not crap because you failed to address the "tried to trade out of the pick first" element. He's a QB with first round skills available in the third, the Pats have a history of drafting QB's - it's no surprise that at that point he represented the best value available. I really liked the pick then, I really like it now and I think we should hold on to him because finding Brady's eventual successor won't be easy and Mallett has that potential. I'm just playing devil's advocate about his value to other teams and the Pats.

First of all, IIRC, the Pats had a first round grade on Mallett. If true, they got a steal in round three. Secondly, he's being developed. Now, he may develop into Brady's backup by 2013 -- or not. If so, we can then talk about him being the future starter -- or not. The simple point here is, Mallett may indeed have first round ability who the Pats brass may want in their system for at least one-more-season.

Full disclosure: My #1 later round WR prospect for the Pats is Greg Childs. I have him as one of the very few Pats targets. His most productive seasons were with Mallett as his QB. I'm envisioning the two of them developing in the Pats system. As we know, the Pats have had some difficulty developing WRs, and given the complicated Pro-style offense Arkansas runs, this QB/WR combo may be a bit more Pats-ready than others. JMHO.

Granted time catches up with everyone, but you might have noticed that Brady is coming off his 2 BEST seasons of his career! The collapse of his skills are a few seasons away.

And i don't see him playing till he is 40 either. This guy has made a lot of money already, won titles and most of his "friends" from the team will be long gone.
He has a family and I think he will move on after this contract. I don't think this is a guy that wants to be hurting for the rest of his life. i'll go as far as saying if he ever gets a concussion he will retire the next year.

No one is going to give the Pats more than a 2nd for Mallet, given his lack of playing experience.
As opposed to the QBs about to be drafted who have so much more NFL experience ;)

Right now that's true - the more downfield passing attack of 2007, not so much. The bottom line to me is Holmgren, et al, are married to that system whereas Belichick is more like an amoeba who can, and will, change shapes based on his personnel. I would guarantee if Mallet had to play for us the offense would look at least somewhat different than with Brady.

Right now that's true - the more downfield passing attack of 2007, not so much. The bottom line to me is Holmgren, et al, are married to that system whereas Belichick is more like an amoeba who can, and will, change shapes based on his personnel. I would guarantee if Mallet had to play for us the offense would look at least somewhat different than with Brady.

We've already seen it change with Cassel, so that's a safe bet.

They might not have been able to trade out of 74, but they could at least have traded down 6 spots,
to 80 w/ Jax, and acquired a free 6th-rounder in the process. Jax took the same deal w/ SF's 76,
so I ass-ume they would have accepted a trade 2 picks higher-up.

Last edited:
Lamanai put the idea in my head in the Bedard mock thread and I can't get it out of my mind because it makes perfect sense for the Browns AND the Pats. There's the thought behind the madness.
After Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill come off the board, where is the panic by the Cleveland Browns to select a quarterback in the 2012 NFL Draft? If the Cleveland Browns were that desperate to select a quarterback, why not select Ryan Tannehill with the #4 overall pick and draft a running back with the #37 overall pick?

I don't get this silly obsession with getting rid of Mallett......

IMO he's the QB prospect we have for the future. Hoyer is a nice success story but if he isn't packaged in this year's draft or for another player then I find it hard to see him being here after next season.

Put it this way; Hoyer will not be a Patriot for the 2013 season and, in 2015 when Brady and Mallett are both up for renewal, a big decision will have to be made.

Allow me to explain my position in greater detail...

Ryan Mallett is a CREVICE.

A SPHINCTER.

He is the working part of an A HOLE.

But, hey...He's got a great arm.

SELL.

Glad to see great minds think alike. ;) However I question your estimate that he'd only bring a third. That would mean that you think that the "old guy" and the AZ QB are better prospects than Mallet (and I doubt that), OR you don't think either would be chosen in the 2nd round.

No, it actually wouldn't mean that, my friend.

Whatever The Market determines the Market Value of Weeden and that other kid to be has only a vague, tertiary influence on what Mallett's Market Value is.

All Market Values are, ultimately, Stand Alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back