Welcome to PatsFans.com

Brain structure differs in liberals, conservatives: study

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +362 / 15 / -13

Makes sense, and sort of explains why so many conservatives don't trust Muslims, gays, blacks, Hispanics, the French, and so on. Also, explains why so many conservatives feel the need to own guns even though their neurosis often leads them to live in communities with people of their same race, faith, and ethnicity. It also explains why liberals, even though a minority, have managed to imprint their stamp on civilization despite the historical numerical strength of conservatives.

Brain structure differs in liberals, conservatives: study | The Raw Story

Liberals have more gray matter in a part of the brain associated with understanding complexity, while the conservative brain is bigger in the section related to processing fear, said the study on Thursday in Current Biology.

"We found that greater liberalism was associated with increased gray matter volume in the anterior cingulate cortex, whereas greater conservatism was associated with increased volume of the right amygdala," the study said.

"Our findings are consistent with the proposal that political orientation is associated with psychological processes for managing fear and uncertainty," the study said.

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

A couple of years ago i put up a similar research article concerning brain structure and that conservatives were generally more fearful, the thread didn't go anywhere. I hope this one does, imo it makes sense. After reading the opinions of a variety of people from different political persuasions ive noticed that posters will percieve the same bit of news in entirely different ways. Example take sharia law. You and me don't see sharia law being imposed in this country any kind of a threat, but there are intelligent posters here on the right who i think genuinely see it as a threat. Another example would be holding the trial of KSM in lower Manhatten. There are a number of people that are genuinely terrified of this taking place, that somehow AQ is going to attack or that KSM is somehow going to escape. The same people are terrified of even holding these terrorists in a Federal Super Max, that somehow they might escape. I would have to say that having a greater sense of fear was necessary for survival in the past the distant past. But the time for an extremely heighten sense of fear isn't needed any longer. We don't live in an age where the potential for being attacked by wild animals or marauding tribes is over.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Well evolution has given us both parts of the brain for a reason and that is obviously that the species needs a blend for survival. Of course you've concluded with your extra large gray matter that conservatives smaller grey matter causes them to mistrust groups of people....aren't conservatives groups of people? That theory seems to have some flaws.:rolleyes:

4. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +281 / 6 / -4

#75 Jersey

What I want to know is: where did they find liberals that actually had a brain?

:rofl:

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

This is good news, I thought there was something wrong with me.

:bricks:

6. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

Someone one stared the thread almost immediately, it must have struck a neuron.

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It sure got me...I ran and got my gun:p

8. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Now I know why I'm so backwards and intolerant! That's good to know. I might need more liberal than myself to explain the finer points of the study, however; my inferior brain can't wrap around the complexity of study...

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 2 / -9

The liberal brain will tell the loon not to go into the park at night, go home and hide let the scumsuckers have the park at night.

The Conservative brain will tell the neo con that the park is for everybody the neo con will go into the park at night, he will bring his gun, if the scumsucker attacks him he will blow the f-cking bastards face off.

THE PARK IS FOR EVERYONE

:bricks:

10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

Then neo con prolly goes jail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +527 / 14 / -28

There is no more mention of evolution anymore, Creative Design???

12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 7 / -2

They studied 90 people, who graded themselves on a 1 to 5 scale, and then scanned their brains. Please tell me no taxpayer funds were wasted on this.

13. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,024 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

This thread...

[​IMG]

...is ridiculous.

14. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Hmmm...since I've been both EXTREMELY liberal and moderately conservative in my life, I wonder how they explain that one?

Probably would say something like...

"Well, he must have suffered a hard blow the cranium at some point....no way else to explain it Chad"

"Y'a know, I think you're right Buffy..."

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

It's all part of the game of searching for proof that the "side" one has chosen is the "right side".

It's a sickness some often pursue to the gates of insanity. Believe it or not, some sad people wake up almost everyday thinking of their disdain for their fellow Americans "on the other side".

16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 7 / -2

I think that's only getting worse too.

17. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

Your the missing link....seriously ive never seen you post a liberal thought since you've been here. The first two people i thought of when i read the study were you and 13.

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Well, then you need to go all the way back to when I first joined and read my posts.... Real World used to give me crap for my liberal views.

If you recall, I voted for Obama and I've never voted for any POTUS who wasn't a democrat. But you've already made up your own mind.

My family HATES the fact that I've gone "Conservative"...even though I'm not conservative. That's just the way they see me. They actually believe once you're a democrat/liberal, you're supposed to stay that way for life.

Pretty stupid belief Flex, wouldn't you agree dog?

19. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +232 / 6 / -3

#91 Jersey

You realize that this study is not saying that if your conservative your dumb. Its not some sort of indictment, it just means that a certain percentage of the population has a heightened awarness of danger. That they may percieve a certain situation as potentialy more threatening. When 13 posts about physics im impressed but when he posts about sharia law being imposed on a country of 310 million by maybe a few hundred thousand (probably a few thousand) i think hes vastly over estimating the threat i'm not.....get it?

Also just because you had some liberal thoughts doesn't count.

20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +452 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Now that's a good normal post. Good to see the old Flex back! Don't know why you get so personal with me lately, but it's a free country.

I understand that there could be differences among the human species in brain structure. We know there are certain body types for humans, so why not brain-types or structure?

My point is, why post this thread? it accomplishes nothing and is a waste of our time...but maybe that's why we all come here anyway, who knows.

Liberal "thoughts"?? I've spent the VAST majority of my life believing in and voting for liberal principles. It's only in the last 3 years or so I've wandered over to the "other side". I've campaigned for democrats often in my life too. Went door to door in my youth asking people to consider my "liberal" candidate.

But no matter what I post or what the truth is, you're just going to believe what you WANT to believe. For some reason, you want to believe I've never been liberal...that's pretty F***ed up Flex.