PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's "Weapons are lousy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, in yesterday's game, we had TD catches by Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, and Gronkowski.

Edelman - 9 catches for 109 yards
Gronkowski - 6 for 68 yards
Amendola - 5 for 48 yards
LaFell - 4 for 29 yards

We also had:
Vereen - 11 catches for 64 yards..

I liked the LaFell signing while many on here thought he was going to be another Donald Hayes..
I had defended Amendola from certain haters on this board and it seems like it finally started clicking for Brady and Amendola here at the end of the year.
I've loved Edelman since he got drafted and Gronk is Gronk..

It's going to be interesting to see how many people continue to say that the Pats need a WR going into this off-season..

They can always use an upgrade.I think brady forces the ball at times because of this.
The biggest dissapointment no doubt is dobson. I have no faith in that guy turning it around.

Sounds like you are Nostrdamus. Congrats... I guess.

Sounds like you are Nostrdamus. Congrats... I guess.

Nostrodomus? Nah.. avail myself to as much information as possible about free agents and such? Including watching non-pats games (when I had Sunday ticket).. yes.

They can always use an upgrade.I think brady forces the ball at times because of this.
The biggest dissapointment no doubt is dobson. I have no faith in that guy turning it around.

The big thing about Dobson is his health, I believe. He needs to get healthy and stay healthy. If not, then he's gone..

So, in yesterday's game, we had TD catches by Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, and Gronkowski.

Edelman - 9 catches for 109 yards
Gronkowski - 6 for 68 yards
Amendola - 5 for 48 yards
LaFell - 4 for 29 yards

We also had:
Vereen - 11 catches for 64 yards..

I liked the LaFell signing while many on here thought he was going to be another Donald Hayes..
I had defended Amendola from certain haters on this board and it seems like it finally started clicking for Brady and Amendola here at the end of the year.
I've loved Edelman since he got drafted and Gronk is Gronk..

It's going to be interesting to see how many people continue to say that the Pats need a WR going into this off-season..

Oh jeezus

The big thing about Dobson is his health, I believe. He needs to get healthy and stay healthy. If not, then he's gone..
I think there may be more to it. Not sure if it is true, but I read that he wasn't with the team in AZ.

His weapons aren't lousy but they all compliment each other. I still want a dominant outside WR who differs from our current group.

The people lobbying for a big play receiver are thinking of all aspects. Lets say Marshawn walks into the end zone and they go up by 3 with 30 seconds to get in field goal range. This is when having a receiver that can consistently get open deep comes in handy. Dobson was brought in to do this but we all know that story..... Edelman worked his tail off and had 9 for 109 while a 4th receiver scrub can play pitch and catch with 4 for 109. Seattle had us clearly beat but the football gods were smiling on us, had they won it would have mostly been because of the deep ball and most of our SB losses have come from deep balls so I understand there logic. But hey if dink and dunk wins us another superbowl i'm all for it.

I think there may be more to it. Not sure if it is true, but I read that he wasn't with the team in AZ.
Most guys on IR don't stick around the team.. Mayo, Bruschi, Ty Law, Vince Wilfork were exceptions because they were marquise players.

Wait are we here to pat ourselves on the backs or here to say "Hey, Brady's weapons are awesome!"?

I'd say a few things in response.

Firstly, I largely agree. I love this receiving corps and have been another who pushed back against the Amendola haters. But...

The Patriots only dressed three WRs last night. They could afford to do that because of Vereen and Gronk but Vereen's return isn't a given and nor is Amendola considering his cap hit. If neither return, we absolutely do need to add receivers. They don't necessarily need to be WRs (when you get round to following the draft, check out Maxx Williams and David Johnson for example) but we will need more than just Gronk-Edelman-Lafell. And whilst I think Brady's ability to throw deep accurately is now limited, a threat to go deep is still something that can be added to the receiving corps. Whether that ends up being Dobson/Boyce/Tyms or something else next year is still a question mark.

The proviso with wanting a deep threat is that you also need an offensive line that can block for the time it takes to get open deep. Of course, a bona fide deep threat at WR will stretch the field vertically and can force a defensive player out of the box making it potentially easier for the Offensive lien because there are fewer rushers etc.

It is a little like the pass rush and the secondary working hand in hand and complementing each other (the secondary forcing the QB to hold the ball enough for the rush to get to him or the pass rush making the QB move off the spot to make the secondary's job of staying with the receivers when they break their routes).

Hopefully the Patriots can make incremental improvements to both the Oline and the WR corps either through internal development, free agency or through the draft.

I don't think that Brady has a very accurate deep ball anyways to be honest. He thrives more on the short to intermediate routes. And it's not lack of arm strength, he just doesn't seem to hit deep balls at a good clip. The only exception seemed to be 2007-2009 but those years we had maybe the greatest deep ball WR of all time - Randy Moss.

The big play receiver will get you to the playoffs perhaps but then can be shut down. I'd rather have a compliment of receivers that are all a bit different. With the exception perhaps of Edelman and Amendola ... these guys feed off each other and in spite of his salary I'd like to see Danny stay - the total is greater than the sum or whatever the frig they say. If anything a TE upgrade to compliment Gronk - Wright is little light in the seat.

I'd say a few things in response.

Firstly, I largely agree. I love this receiving corps and have been another who pushed back against the Amendola haters. But...

The Patriots only dressed three WRs last night. They could afford to do that because of Vereen and Gronk but Vereen's return isn't a given and nor is Amendola considering his cap hit. If neither return, we absolutely do need to add receivers. They don't necessarily need to be WRs (when you get round to following the draft, check out Maxx Williams and David Johnson for example) but we will need more than just Gronk-Edelman-Lafell. And whilst I think Brady's ability to throw deep accurately is now limited, a threat to go deep is still something that can be added to the receiving corps. Whether that ends up being Dobson/Boyce/Tyms or something else next year is still a question mark.

Manx - Vereen being back has nothing to do with needing another WR.. Vereen being back has to do with having a 3rd down RB who can block and catch out of the backfield..

You also seem to be forgetting Tim Wright.. The forgotten man. I think that, regardless of what happens with Amendola or Vereen, Wright becomes a bigger part of this offense next year.

On a separate note, I probably won't be following the draft much because I've started my own business and that has taken up a lot of time I'd normally be putting into research on players and such..

I'm OK with rolling the dice on a WR in the 3rd/4th round and hoping we get lucky like the Packers :p

Let's not forget about Tim Wright. With a training camp under his belt he could be a huge contributor next year. Also Dobson getting healthy for real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes