PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's suspension versus the draft picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Can someone shed some light on this issue?

To my way of thinking, the loss of the draft picks is way, way more important than losing Brady for 4 games. Matt Cassel proved that the Patriots can do OK, not great, but OK, without Brady, and Jimmy G. is a much better QB than Cassel.

The Patriots have done very well with their first round picks, so this seems like a much more serious (and ridiculously over the top) punishment.

So why isn't the local media up in arms about the draft picks?

Can the Patriots even appeal the loss of draft picks?

The whole thing makes zero sense. No evidence against Brady = 4 game suspension.
The report exonerates the Patriots organization = harshest team penalty in NFL history.

Trying to make heads or tails out of it will just piss you off. It's just hatorade for the ****ty American sports mobs

The most important thing in all this is Brady's image everything else is important but can be overcome.

Did the league even read the email exchange that was posted this morning? How can anyone in their right mind conclude the Patriots weren't cooperating with Agent Smith aka Wells and goon squad?

I could give a f what the rest of the country thinks about the Pats right now. Blood is boiling after reading the new email exchange. Of course our good friends at Bspn will give the email exchange about 10 seconds of airtime and go on letting the public think the Patriots lost draft picks because they didn't cooperate. Oh yeah, how could I forget, and that Brady wanted the balls below 12.5. F everybody

Accepting Brady's suspension is like throwing him to the wolves and acknowledging his guilt. Money isn't everything in life and neither are draft picks.

I'd rather have the draft picks. TB12 is gonna be mighty pissed when he comes back.

I think the other happens though. Brady gets his suspension tossed. We still lose the picks.

Troy Vincent was behind the ridiculous penalties, right? How did he penalize the Ravens for Ray Rice? Judging from what the Patriots got, the Raven should have lost the next 5 years of first round picks.

The whole thing makes zero sense. No evidence against Brady = 4 game suspension.
The report exonerates the Patriots organization = harshest team penalty in NFL history.

Trying to make heads or tails out of it will just piss you off. It's just hatorade for the ****ty American sports mobs
I think the whole thing makes a lot of sense. Commissioner Goodell has proved to be a complete
buffoon in dispensing discipline. Four game suspensions for smoking pot and two game suspensions
for knocking the hell out of your girlfriend. Many women's groups are down on him for lack of
sensitivity on spousal and child abuse issues.
What better way to deflect attention than levy stiff penalties on the league's best team and football's
best player. Too bad the punishment is based on a biased report which skewed the psi evidence to
attempt to prove guilt.

Accepting Brady's suspension is like throwing him to the wolves and acknowledging his guilt. Money isn't everything in life and neither are draft picks.

Agreed. I'm sorry but if he accepts a 2 game suspension I'd be >>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!disappointed.

I'd rather have the draft picks. TB12 is gonna be mighty pissed when he comes back.

I think the other happens though. Brady gets his suspension tossed. We still lose the picks.
Karen Guregian points out that a good free agent signing can make up for the loss of the #1 pick.
Also, next year the Pats should have a #3 compensatory pick plus two or three other comp picks.

Tom Brady means more to this franchise than any crapshoot draft pick. And to address the matt cassel thing, he was just in the right situation. Cassel got to work with a team that just went 16-0 the previous year. Even matt schuab would go 11-5 if he was our qb that year.

FAs cost big cap $. Rookies are on relatively cheap contracts.
Do sportswriters know ANYTHING???
Unless Kraft is willing to take a big chance and sue the NFL in Federal Court, the #1 pick is gonzo.
A good free agent would be a one year fix. Even if Brady can knock the socks off the NFL in court,
the draft picks are not coming back. The irony is that when a neutral arbiter is appointed by the
Federal Court, the arbiter will conclude that the ball deflation occurred by the drop in temperature.
Exoneration of Brady but no apology or return of draft picks for the Patriot's organization.

uhm, if troy vincent isnt allowed to issue punishments according to the cba, as of right now brady is not actually suspended and the patriots have all their picks. yes/no?

Can someone shed some light on this issue?

To my way of thinking, the loss of the draft picks is way, way more important than losing Brady for 4 games. Matt Cassel proved that the Patriots can do OK, not great, but OK, without Brady, and Jimmy G. is a much better QB than Cassel.

The Patriots have done very well with their first round picks, so this seems like a much more serious (and ridiculously over the top) punishment.

So why isn't the local media up in arms about the draft picks?

Can the Patriots even appeal the loss of draft picks?

You're right but I think it is a short term long term thing. Brady's suspension may cause the Pats to lose home field advantage this year and the picks may cost us home field advantage in future years but the whole way this was handled has hurt the Patriots reputation and tarnished what they truly have earned for decades. Kraft, Brady and crew really need to throw everything they have at it. Not that I believe this but even if it comes out that Brady told McNally to go into the bathroom and make sure those footballs were at 12.5 psi I would still not understand how this whole thing was handled.

uhm, if troy vincent isnt allowed to issue punishments according to the cba, as of right now brady is not actually suspended and the patriots have all their picks. yes/no?

No. The CBA has nothing to do with the league's ability to punish the Patriots.

The most important thing in all this is Brady's image everything else is important but can be overcome.
Brady's image can't be reclaimed unfortunately. It doesn't matter if an independent arbitrator exonerates him completely, the damage is done. Just like everyone -knows for a fact- that the Pats taped Rams walkthroughs, they know Brady is a cheater.

The loss of a number 1 pick has a serious, long term impact on the team going forward. Which is why, IMO, it was done. The NFL never expected their punishment of Brady to stick, but they still wanted to **** over the Pats.

Tom Brady means more to this franchise than any crapshoot draft pick. And to address the matt cassel thing, he was just in the right situation. Cassel got to work with a team that just went 16-0 the previous year. Even matt schuab would go 11-5 if he was our qb that year.
And JG would be working off a team that's coming off a SB win.

Well, sort of. The loss of Revis and Browner means that we'll have to climb the hill all over again. This isn't a 2003/2004 situation here....sadly.

The #1 pick hurts us more, because it stops us from bringing in a top-quality rookie on a cheap contract. It's like having a first rounder that turns into a mega-bust. Not good.

We can survive Brady being out for 4 games because we have a decent QB in the wings. Obviously Garappolo is untested, but if we can run a balanced offense and a tight defense, there's no reason why we shouldn't go at least 2-2.

Brady's image can't be reclaimed unfortunately. It doesn't matter if an independent arbitrator exonerates him completely, the damage is done. Just like everyone -knows for a fact- that the Pats taped Rams walkthroughs, they know Brady is a cheater.

The loss of a number 1 pick has a serious, long term impact on the team going forward. Which is why, IMO, it was done. The NFL never expected their punishment of Brady to stick, but they still wanted to **** over the Pats.
Idiots always going to be idiots but there is a big difference to his image if there is a penalty on the books or if he can get it completely overturned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back