PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's pass attempt to Tyms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough crowd tonight. I thought our 37 year old QB who showed he can still throw an absolute bomb would be a worthy discussion.

I couldn't care less how far he throws it if its not accurate.

You're either accurate or you're not. If the ball isn't catchable that's not an accurate throw.
It was barely off. Given the distance and how close he was, there is no reason not to think he hits that pass to tyms 5/10 times. Sometimes you hit them sometimes you don't, most qbs don't hit or even come close to that every deep pass.

It was barely off. Given the distance and how close he was, there is no reason not to think he hits that pass to tyms 5/10 times. Sometimes you hit them sometimes you don't, most qbs don't hit or even come close to that every deep pass.

Brady is off on most of his deep throws. Its just not one of his strengths. Also, barely off is still off. It doesn't matter if you're off by a mile or off by a little. If the throw isn't good enough for the receiver to catch who cares how much he missed him by, he missed.

Brady is off on most of his deep throws. Its just not one of his strengths. Also, barely off is still off. It doesn't matter if you're off by a mile or off by a little. If the throw isn't good enough for the receiver to catch who cares how much he missed him by, he missed.

You're either accurate or you're not. If the ball isn't catchable that's not an accurate throw.

There are so few deep throws that each throw is a huge part of the percentage, for good or bad. That means that every poorly run route, or every drop, is a huge hit to Brady's percentage.

His throws are fine, overall. We've seen lots of drops and bad routes by Edelman, Tyms, Gronk and Amendola already this year. Give Brady credit for even half of those, and his percentage is right up with the others mentioned.

Last edited:
Live, I always thought Moss should have gone up and gotten that ball. Seeing it again, I think the same thing. That was perfect in every way. He just needed to go up and get it. :(
Can only imagine Brady's legacy had he beaten them on that play and the Gronk one on the last play. We know they would have made those catches for Eli in some absurd way. Oh well. On to the next one.

There are so few deep throws that each throw is a huge part of the percentage, for good or bad. That means that every poorly run route, or every drop, is a huge hit to Brady's percentage.

His throws are fine, overall. We've seen lots of drops and bad routes by Edelman, Tyms, Gronk and Amendola already this year. Give Brady credit for even half of those, and his percentage is right up with the others mentioned.

Yeah, well I disagree completely. I don't see many drops on deep balls. What I see more times than not is the ball being overthrown.

Yeah, well I disagree completely. I don't see many drops on deep balls. What I see more times than not is the ball being overthrown.

No offense, but this is pretty objective stuff. We've seen the drops, and we've seen the obviously wrong routes. Hell, we've seen at least one of each from Tyms alone.

No offense, but this is pretty objective stuff. We've seen the drops, and we've seen the obviously wrong routes. Hell, we've seen at least one of each from Tyms alone.

I don't remember many deep ball drops... But since we're talking about things we've seen, how can you leave out what we see more times than not? Deep balls being not accurately thrown?

*Edit* I see deep balls being overthrown alot more than I see brady making good deep throws and it being dropped... And its not even close.

I don't remember many deep ball drops... But since we're talking about things we've seen, how can you leave out what we see more times than not? Deep balls being not accurately thrown?

*Edit* I see deep balls being overthrown alot more than I see brady making good deep throws and it being dropped... And its not even close.

Some of it might be Brady would rather put more on it then less to ensure only his guy can catch it. If he overthrows it on 1st or 2nd down then he still has another chance on the next down. Overthrows it on 3rd then they punt and give it to the defense. It's not like he is throwing to AJ Green or Dez Bryant on these throws. Pro bowlers that adjust to the ball and have all the physical attributes to go up and get it.

How am I leaving something out when that something is your main point of contention, and I'm responding to it? It was the first sentence in the post of yours that I first responded to:

Brady is off on most of his deep throws.

You're blaming Brady. I'm pointing out some other issues that make a huge difference in the catch percentage. People who ***** about this part of any QBs game frequently overestimate the average number of long throws made every year, and they also frequently underestimate the impact of WR mistakes on the results.

How am I leaving something out when that something is your main point of contention, and I'm responding to it? It was the first sentence in the post of yours that I first responded to:

You're blaming Brady. I'm pointing out some other issues that make a huge difference in the catch percentage.

Yeah well I don't see these other issues you speak of anywhere near as much as I simply see brady being inaccurate on the deep ball, that's all.

Yeah well I don't see these other issues you speak of anywhere near as much as I simply see brady being inaccurate on the deep ball, that's all.

Then you're not watching the games, because they are there.

Some of it might be Brady would rather put more on it then less to ensure only his guy can catch it. If he overthrows it on 1st or 2nd down then he still has another chance on the next down. Overthrows it on 3rd then they punt and give it to the defense. It's not like he is throwing to AJ Green or Dez Bryant on these throws. Pro bowlers that adjust to the ball and have all the physical attributes to go up and get it.

When you're not even giving your receivers a chance to catch the ball that's on you. Most of the deep balls I see that brady misses on the receivers have no chance. Alot of the other ones they have to dive at it just to get close.

Last edited:
that one vs MIA was about 6 inches over thrown...so close

Some in here need to remember that there are a lot of deep, low-percentage throws that are heaved up there after a flag for a defensive penalty. I've seen it at least 6 times this year that there is a blatant hold on the defense, the flag goes out, and Brady makes a deep throw with the idea that if it hits, big play; if not, still five yards and a first down. Watch for it (rewind the DVR) the next time Brady gets "bailed out" on a missed deep pass because of a penalty.

Those don't count in the stats, but if you're not paying attention, you might think he's making more poor throws/decisions than he really is.

I think some people don't quite understand how a long pass develops. It's not a matter of "The receiver is at location x, running with a velocity vector of V, with an acceleration that can be quantified (0, constant, or changing at a known/predictable rate, so I just have to throw it to location x_final, height h, at precisely time t." There are a LOT of variables that are constantly changing.

You have to throw the ball before the receiver even gets open ( most of the time), so you anticipate that they will get the separation, anticipate their speed/acceleration, their precise route, and the defenders technique. If ANY of those things change, it could throw off the play. Brady has no control over any of those things. A real deep-threat receiver adjusts to the ball, otherwise, there's practically no hope the play will ever work out right. It's just the physics of it. That's the problem right now. Brady has NO playmakers on the outside who have the speed/experience to make the right adjustments. Any real outside receiver makes that catch that Tymms couldn't reel in.

I'm not saying that Brady has a strong deep-ball game, but I think many people's criticism is completely unfair. Rodgers wouldn't fare much better if he didn't have Jordy Nelson to throw to...

On those plays most receivers either don't dive when they should or dive early...most of the time I see guys dive early when if they just ran they would get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes