PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's numbing greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe people prefer Manning over Brady due to secondary reasons (as opposed to directly perfering one over the other). I believe the main reason Brady doesn't get the respect he deserves is the fact he plays for New England and under BB's directions. BB and Patriots are far from being America's favorite teams for many different reasons, and I believe Brady ends up being the scapegoat here.

I'm pretty sure had Brady played for another franchise, like the Giants, Steelers, Green Bay, etc. he would get A LOT more respect.

But alas, who gives a rat's ***.... let the haters choke on their hats while Brady goes for another ring... or two... or three.... :rocker:

Why wouldn't opposing fans like Belichick? The man is cleary the best coach in the NFL.

...and since we are on the topic of respect - another thing that bothers me is the perception (usually by jealous opposing fans) that Brady is not tough. I think they are mistaking good looks with being "soft." Ignore the low sack total because he takes some shots back there in the name of getting the pass off. Outside of a single, devastating knee injury he doesn't miss games.

Actually, I think fans who make these claims should "man up" and show up at their local team's practice. Let one of the D-Line guys tee off on them, just once, and see how they fare.

Last edited:
Trotter: Brady's numbing greatness - Video - SI.com

it's great to hear this from people other than patriots fans. we all have seen how great brady has been this season yet he has to prove himself against the 2 best teams in the nfl to get recognition despite the fact his numbers are overall better than mannings. i don't know about you guys but i'm still hearing from a lot of people that peyton and AP are the top 2 mvp candidates because of their "stories", which personally i don't think is fair and it shouldn't factor into it. right now it should be brady's to lose but if at the end of the year bradys overall numbers and standing is better than manning and he doesn't win it would be a travesty. i wouldn't mind AP winning it because he is clearly very valuable to his team and has been nothing short of amazing.

i also really liked rick reilly saying on the air last night after the game how manning is the emotional pick for mvp and joked that people are confusing mvp with comeback player of the year.

before anyone says it: yes i know we don't care about mvp's we'd rather the lombardi BUT if brady deserves it then why can't he get the mvp as well as try for the lombardi and please don't say "who cares what the media says" stuff. it's something discuss and the media is very impressionable. usually we could say brady's numbers will do the talking but even when brady has the numbers he's not getting the love.

ok, I love the Pats...but even that video was a little on the gayish side...

you would think people would rather cheer on the guy who came from nowhere and worked hard to get to where he is rather than the guy with the big last name number 1 pick who had it handed to him

This part fascinates me. Manning grew up as football royalty and was treated as a golden boy at every step of his life. College recruiters genuflected before him. Brady, meanwhile, grew up a normal sports-loving kid who managed to earn a scholarship as a backup QB and worked his butt off to get drafted in the 6th round and earn a spot on an NFL roster. It's pretty clear who's the "everyman" of the two.

BUT: Peyton is an ordinary-looking guy with an aw-shucks style and a southern drawl who married his college sweetheart. Brady is a slick, handsome guy with a blandly smooth California demeanor who dated movie stars and married a supermodel.

In the likeability race, style is king. Peyton looks and acts like an everyman, thus he's feted as one.

(You see this all the time in politics, where millionaire sons of the privileged and powerful go by everyguy nicknames and pretend to enjoy quaffing a Bud at a stock car race. And the guys who just can't pull that deception off -- Kerry, Romney -- pay the price in "likeability.")

...and since we are on the topic of respect - another thing that bothers me is the perception (usually by jealous opposing fans) that Brady is not tough. I think they are mistaking good looks with being "soft." Ignore the low sack total because he takes some shots back there in the name of getting the pass off. Outside of a single, devastating knee injury he doesn't miss games.

Actually, I think fans who make these claims should "man up" and show up at their local team's practice. Let one of the D-Line guys tee off on them, just once, and see how they fare.

People think he's soft because he's a "pretty boy". All I can do is laugh when people say things like Brady is soft, he can't take a hit, if he does take a hit he will whine the refs will throw a flag and fine you etc. :rolleyes:

ESPN having a poll about who is the most valuable #12 to their team Brady, Rodgers, or Luck... just a little disrespect.

Why wouldn't opposing fans like Belichick? The man is cleary the best coach in the NFL.

A lot of outsiders think of Belichick as a dirty, cheating a55hole. They think the Pats cheated back in 07' with spygate, they think the Pats run up the score, they think the Pats b1tch and moan to refs, they think the Pats get flags called in their favor, etc. etc.

This eventually casts a shadow over the whole organization, and eventually reaches Brady as well.

I want instant gratification from the media about TB. I might not get this until TB retires and hundreds of former players come out claiming TB is the goat. That might not even be enough, but then, some of those players will reach the hall of fame. And when those select players claim TB is the goat, the media will follow.

In 2000, Belichick allocated a roster spot for a FOURTH QB. Has he ever done that before or since? He must have thought very highly of Brady back then despite giving the rookie 3 pass attempts total action for the year in a blowout loss on Thanksgiving in Detroit.

Regards,
Chris

I'm so glad someone in the media is finally mentioning this... :rocker:

Dudes, ease off the persecution complex. I saw on two different stations Monday when they were taking apart the game that he might be the greatest ever to play the position. Come on. No respect? Everybody, every fan of every team, knows Tom Brady is Tom Brady -- amazing talent, 3 time SB winner, and a threat to be a 4 time winner every season. Nobody has any illusions that he's why the Pats are always in contention for a ring.

Now, it's my firm belief that he is the greatest ever, and one more ring cements it for all but the biggest A-holes. Two more? Nobody - nobody - would argue the point... ever.

I think it's fortunate he and Manning had each other every step of the way. Without that comparable talent, who knows how long you can keep the chip on your shoulder? Marino/Montana/Elway era all over again.

Put another way... I'm lucky enough to be old enough to remember those 3 guys from the start of their careers onward. I remember thinking "we'll never see anything like this again..." And I didn't dare think we'd see it in a Patriots uniform.

Damn good times.

If you are a great player on a ****ty team, you are naturally more valuable than if you are a great player on a great team. If Manning is MVP then so much the better, that means his team is worse and we will beat them handily. Who cares about the popularity contest, let's win the actual prize.

A lot of outsiders think of Belichick as a dirty, cheating a55hole. They think the Pats cheated back in 07' with spygate, they think the Pats run up the score, they think the Pats b1tch and moan to refs, they think the Pats get flags called in their favor, etc. etc.

This eventually casts a shadow over the whole organization, and eventually reaches Brady as well.

Don't worry about Brady and Belichick. They're both are 1st ballot HOF and winningest qb-coach tandem ever. Closest active pair is 50 wins behind (Eli and Tom Coughlin) and losing ground.

Dudes, ease off the persecution complex. I saw on two different stations Monday when they were taking apart the game that he might be the greatest ever to play the position. Come on. No respect? Everybody, every fan of every team, knows Tom Brady is Tom Brady -- amazing talent, 3 time SB winner, and a threat to be a 4 time winner every season. Nobody has any illusions that he's why the Pats are always in contention for a ring.

Now, it's my firm belief that he is the greatest ever, and one more ring cements it for all but the biggest A-holes. Two more? Nobody - nobody - would argue the point... ever.

I think it's fortunate he and Manning had each other every step of the way. Without that comparable talent, who knows how long you can keep the chip on your shoulder? Marino/Montana/Elway era all over again.

Put another way... I'm lucky enough to be old enough to remember those 3 guys from the start of their careers onward. I remember thinking "we'll never see anything like this again..." And I didn't dare think we'd see it in a Patriots uniform.

Damn good times.

This forum has their own kind of complex. Yes people understand Tom Brady is great yet he is STILL disrespected. This is what this thread is about. I don't get what it is with this forum where people feel the need to act as if their fellow fanbase are being whiners when there are legitimate discussions to be had.

Last edited:
Maybe a bump will get this merged.

This forum has their own kind of complex. Yes people understand Tom Brady is great yet he is STILL disrespected. This is what this thread is about. I don't get what it is with this forum where people feel the need to act as if their fellow fanbase are being whiners when there are legitimate discussions to be had.

Legitimate discussion, but yes, there is a lot of whining also.

#37 (not Dennard) turned it into an art form. We fans have been imitating Rodney ever since.

TFB wins another 2 rings and it is all moot. I hope he's taking it personally right now and that it burns him up plenty.

Last edited:
Nice analysis from Bedard:

The difference between the Texans and Patriots in this game was how the quarterbacks and offensive lines fared against the pressure.

The Texans’ offensive line allowed 2 sacks, 5 hurries, and 9 knockdowns (16 total quarterback pressures) for a 40 percent pressure rate.

Schaub was 10 of 18 for 96 yards with a sack and interception (47.5 passer rating) against the Patriots’ pressure. By the tail end of the first half, Schaub was playing with wildly happy feet in the pocket and didn’t see some wide-open receivers as he rushed to get the ball off.

The Patriots’ line allowed just 1 sack, 2 hurries, and 7 knockdowns (10 total quarterback pressures; three before it was 21-0) for a pressure rate of 23.3 percent.

Of course, a lot of it had to do with Brady and his ability to interpret the look from the defense and know where to go with the ball. He released the ball in a season-low 2.25 seconds on average, which was more than a quarter of a second faster than Schaub (2.54). It might not seem like much, but it is against NFL defenses.
Tom Brady the difference between Patriots being contenders and pretenders - Patriots - Boston.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back