PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's mind-game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
How is it that NOT A SINGLE COMMENTATOR out there is suggesting what might ACTUALLY be behind Brady's "respect" comments? This has ballooned into this enormous story today and, to me, it seems at least plausible - if not downright LIKELY - that Brady's point in stirring up this "controversy" is to defuse and distract the Jags using the "respect" thing - which WAS becoming a motivational tool.

I don't think Brady really cares about disrespect. I think he's circling the wagons, deflecting from the Jags story and being a team leader. He's getting killed on the talk shows, and he doesn't give a *****.

None of this matters. It's a fake story like "The war on Christmas," but somehow nobody's catching on to what I think is a very likely strategy on Tom's part. They're all just eating it up and smacking him down.

Good work, #12.

Agreed. I'm home sick from work today. I don't usually get to watch these pundits spin their opinions. It seems that Brady's comments were really taken out of context. Once one guy blasts Brady they all jump on the bandwagon. And what are they saying, " They get as much respect as a 10-6 team deserves." was one comment I heard. Micheak Wilbon says "If Brady needs to play the disrespect that is really sad." Obviously these guys have sat at a desk all their lives and never played any competitive sports. If playing the disrespect card works, then play it.

I guess after they lost that Kansas City game everyone still thought that they would make it to the playoffs and were still giving them a chance to win the Super Bowl. :rolleyes:

It's a conspiracy!

The Respect Game

Well, it's not a fake story (neither is the War on Christmas). The media has been rooting for Indy for quite a while and rooting against the Pats even longer.

This -- Brady should just shut up -- is just another front. Sad thing is that THIS year Tom's constituents have bought into it. The hand wringers have been out in force all year. Even now, many predict one and done or bye-less == ring-less.

Brace yourselves, guys. The Pats *are* the best team in football. While fans and media were wringing their hands, hurt guys were getting healthy, new guys were learning the system, and rookies were getting a boatload of experience.

Now our aclimated new hires, rested veterans, and tested rookies are going to shock the world...again.

Sit back with me and enjoy it!

:eat3:

Thank God I avoided the pundits today.

It's obvious to me what Brady was trying to do. These media sharks just circle around anything hoping for a whiff of blood. They're really incredible boring and I think I can count on one hand the times they were ever insightful.

Last edited:
Bella*chick said:

I think I can count on one hand the times they were ever insightful.

Really, that many times?

The way I see it - its the exact same situation as the 'Dont talk about our team' blast he gave Shottenheimer.

It is supposed to act as a battle cry to his troops - no-one needs to see a complacent Patriots team take to the field on saturday.

Alot of people have noticed the new 'aggresive' 2K5 Brady - he isnt afraid of throwing the odd soundbite out there - as long as it serves to pump his own team up and not the opposition.

NM

Last edited:
Please sirs, what did Brady say?

What Tom said...

shakadave said:
''I think we've been probably disrespected more than any team in the league this year," Brady said yesterday at his weekly news conference. ''I think we've been given up on by a lot of media people, a lot of fans, our own fans, and other people around the league.

''I think if there's one team that feels like they're disrespected, it's us.

The missing quotation marks are the Globe's errors not mine. It's amazing how bad they are at their craft -- syntax, spelling, punctuation errors are their trademark.

And one thing that's left out is that he was answering a question about the Jags saying they are being disrespected. No one plays tha disrespect card better than the Pats.

impulse speed

Bella*chick said:

It's obvious to me what Brady was trying to do. These media sharks just circle around anything hoping for a whiff of blood. They're really incredible boring and I think I can count on one hand the times they were ever insightful.
our boys are just starting to spin up the rodney dangerfield thing.
it's what, wednesday? wait till friday.
by then they'll be pretty well lathered up..."we just don't get no respect, dey wrote us off by game 8...well here we are, healthy and pissed off..."
by saturday they'll be slathering and drooling 'cause they got "disrespected" dis season. they'll come
i laughed out loud hearing brady, sportsman of the year, most decorated athlete of 2005, talking about being disrespected.
hey, they gotta get up to warp speed about something...

Thank God I don't live in Boston. It's a beautiful town and I've loved it there both times I went, but the Sports media seems to have it's collective head up it's azz.

What's the national media supposed to think when the local media can't get off their"Desperate Housewives" addiction? "Gee, the Pats must not be doing much, all the locals talk about is the Sox." With Felger and Borges being your only cheerleaders, people are going to get a skewed opinion, at the least. Even TJ has had little to say that is of a validating nature lately. (Negative psychology, maybe?)

In spite of numerous injuries, Tedy's late start, a killer schedule through the first half and the loss of two co-ordinators, the Pats are coming together for a big finish and are still the team to beat. Only now, they will be the hunter, rather than the hunted.

:rocker:

Misguided Globe bashing

len_mullen said:
The missing quotation marks are the Globe's errors not mine. It's amazing how bad they are at their craft -- syntax, spelling, punctuation errors are their trademark.

Um...it's amazing that you bash someone for their grammar when you don't even know the rules. They're right. You're wrong.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_quote.html

"If one person's speech goes on for more than one paragraph, use quotation
marks to open the speech and at the beginning--but not the end--of each new
paragraph in the speech. To close the speech, use quotation marks at the end of
the final paragraph."

Just to note, in the Globe story Brady went on for three paragraphs. The close quotes appropriately came at the end of the third (a paragraph beyond what was cited in your post).

I know it's in fashion here to take shots at the Globe, but don't just rip them for things for fun. Criticize them when they actually mess up.

misguided Globe bashing????

Mael Patraic said:
I know it's in fashion here to take shots at the Globe, but don't just rip them for things for fun. Criticize them when they actually mess up.

No such thing as "misguided" Globe bashing.

ilduce06410 said:
our boys are just starting to spin up the rodney dangerfield thing.
it's what, wednesday? wait till friday.
by then they'll be pretty well lathered up..."we just don't get no respect, dey wrote us off by game 8...well here we are, healthy and pissed off..."
by saturday they'll be slathering and drooling 'cause they got "disrespected" dis season. they'll come
i laughed out loud hearing brady, sportsman of the year, most decorated athlete of 2005, talking about being disrespected.
hey, they gotta get up to warp speed about something...
It reminds me of how Michael Jordan used to make stuff up about the opposing team to get in an appropriate mindset about a game.

It worked for him!

Good site (I've bookmarked it), but...

Mael Patraic said:
Um...it's amazing that you bash someone for their grammar when you don't even know the rules. They're right. You're wrong.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_quote.html

"If one person's speech goes on for more than one paragraph, use quotation
marks to open the speech and at the beginning--but not the end--of each new
paragraph in the speech. To close the speech, use quotation marks at the end of
the final paragraph."

Just to note, in the Globe story Brady went on for three paragraphs. The close quotes appropriately came at the end of the third (a paragraph beyond what was cited in your post).

the Globe article includes three quotes not not one speech that goes on for three paragraphs. Globe editors may have interpreted it as a single speech, but it isn't. I stand by my criticism.

BTW, I wouldn't have broken it into three paragraphs unless I wanted to wrap each quote in some original thought.

This is just NE's rallying cry; it's been so for the last 4 years. They are one of the most respected teams in the league. Brady is one of the most respected QBs in the league. This is just self-motivation.

Whether you like it or not, your team (especially your QB) has been a media darling for the last few years.

The whole "everyone is against us" mentality is a good motivating tool. That's why Brady said it. I hope he doesn't actually believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back