PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think they would have to Brady would retire as he said; when he sucks he will retire. At this point and time Tom Brady is still significantly better than Jimmy Garopollo is, it is not even close and anyone who suggests otherwise is crazy. Garopollo has shown promise, nothing more.

What I do not get is how you and others assert that Belichick would move on from Brady while stating the NFL is a business, yet in the same breath, you suggest they should not care about their brand. Well I thought the NFL was a business.

It's the business about winning.

I think what people really undersell with Kosar and Bledsoe is that Belichick moved on because he thought the young guy behind him was a better option *at that time*. Not potentially a better option three years later.

Hell, there were a fair few posters around here who wanted Brady traded after 2008, because they figured that Cassel had more prime years left. The lesson? When you have the GOAT, even if he's near the end of his career he still likely has more years of upper-tier production in him than the unproven guy behind him.

If/when Belichick moves on from Brady, I believe that it'll be because he thinks the guy behind him is at least as good as he is, maybe better.

I think if the Patriots were forced to move on with Cassel because Brady's knee injury turned out career-ending, they would have without hesitation. I can't say anything about their willingness to move on with Hoyer or Mallett, in such circumstances, but it's clear that the clock ran out on Mallett "beating out" Brady back in February 2013 when they extended Brady.

I can't say for sure, but I suspect the Patriots are already in the "willing if forced" camp on Garoppolo.

It's the business about winning.
I do not understand the thinking that Brady cannot play at an elite level until he retires. This is a simple grass is greener outlook by the fans, they saw a few promising things in Garopollo and thoughts of Aaron Rodgers pop into their heads. It is an ambitious and unlikely way of thinking. The grass is seldom greener and the moves you and others reference as historical data to support Belichick moving on from Brady seldom led to improving the team.

- Would you consider the Seymour trade a success, was the team better without him?
- How about walking away from Welker when we did, did that help the team, was Amendola a case of the grass being greener?
- How about Mankins has the team looked better without him, have we been able to fill that void with a greener outcome?

Sure, the team was able to win but in the regular season despite the weakening of the team, but the team was not better because of these decisions, and these players did not play the role of QB the most significant position by far. I personally, am not going to get on board with pushing the greatest Patriots to ever take the field out the door because Jimmy Garopollo an undersized, small school QB with questionable arm strength showed some promise in the preseason and at the end of a blowout regular season game.

I do not understand the thinking that Brady cannot play at an elite level until he retires. .

Oh God, who said he COULDN'T?????

What people are trying to inform you is that IF he cannot at some point, he WILL be replaced by BB.

THAT is the fact.

YOU are the one repeating that Brady will make that decision and the BB will keep him in there even if he is not the best option in the future, because of 'what the crowds chant' and the 'brand'.

And regarding the Mankins trade, 5 games into the season his team is 1-4, the Pats have their 4th round pick (which is obviously goingto be an early one) and Tim effin Wright. It didn't JUST affect the OL, as you obviously think, but the T-E-A-M.

What people are trying to inform you is that IF he cannot at some point, he WILL be replaced by BB.

THAT is the fact.

YOU are the one repeating that Brady will make that decision and the BB will keep him in there even if he is not the best option in the future, because of 'what the crowds chant' and the 'brand'.

And regarding the Mankins trade, 5 games into the season his team is 1-4, the Pats have their 4th round pick (which is obviously goingto be an early one) and Tim effin Wright. It didn't JUST affect the OL, as you obviously think, but the T-E-A-M.

I also would like to believe that Brady would know it as well and could make that decision...

THAT is the fact.

I never said Brady would make the decision, I just do not think it is a cut and dry Belichick moves on decision, it is not comparable to Seymour, Welker, Mankins, etc. We are talking about Tom Brady, there will be a lot of factors that go into how he ends his career.

As far as nobody saying he could not, you should read back a few posts because someone said on the last page that he will hit a point, and multiple posters liked the post.

What if the team starts losing and Kraft decides it is time to move on from Belichick? What if Belichick just retires, he is 62 years old? Everyone assumes Brady is the one on borrowed time but Belichick can just decide his own ending.

What if the team starts losing and Kraft decides it is time to move on from Belichick? What if Belichick just retires, he is 62 years old? Everyone assumes Brady is the one on borrowed time but Belichick can just decide his own ending.

That could happen also.

EVERYONE is replaceable.

I think that Brady's low cap hit to a team that trades for him would bump him up to at least a 1st and a 3rd, maybe two firsts. Brady's last contract proved that he is willing to lower his salary demands for longevity with the team. If his next extension is for peanuts and Grap isn't ready, I would like to see Brady stay for a while.

Brady isn't going anywhere. He's not just another guy. He's basically untradeable unless he signs off on it, which would make it much more of an agreement by all parties than a standard trade. The entire world knows Brady is paid. He's not a player that needs to get the last bit of money they can get from the league.
Bad teams are not stupid enough to believe they can offer the Patriots 2 1st rounders and have Tom Brady magically show up ready to be mauled by pass rushers and be surrounded by complete incompetence.

It's just not going to happen to a man with a legacy to protect and a net worth of a half a billion dollars.

Brady would be involved in any trade discussion as much as Kraft and Belichick would be, and he would have the most authoritative voice in the room. He would go to the team that had the talent that he could elevate to a Superbowl, and no other, and given that indisputable truth, why then would you even trade him? Because Kraft is in a rush to move on to JAG? To sign other players just to have Tom Brady smash your face in with a stacked team? Please.

It's completely pointless, especially now with him showing everyone how he still plays when he actually has protection. Tom Brady might not still possess every single ability he had in his very peak, but he's still a lights out quarterback with #1 potential every any given Sunday, has a towering on field presence, attacks the center of the field like nobody else in the game, and, as you will see if he keeps getting protection, remains the best quarterback in the league.

If Wright continues to improve, you'll all remember that Tom Brady with two Tight Ends is the most unstoppable force in the NFL.

If Brady leaves for any other reason than that he wants to I would root for him to come back and eviscerate the Pats.

If Brady leaves for any other reason than that he wants to I would root for him to come back and eviscerate the Pats.

For your benefit, I would suggest you qualify your statement.

If Brady completes 2014 with the same numbers as Hugh Millen and in 2015 the Pats move on w/ Grapes, is playing well and in the same year Brady is playing like poop for Team X you want the Pats to lose?

Brady isn't going anywhere. He's not just another guy. He's basically untradeable unless he signs off on it, which would make it much more of an agreement by all parties than a standard trade. The entire world knows Brady is paid. He's not a player that needs to get the last bit of money they can get from the league.
Bad teams are not stupid enough to believe they can offer the Patriots 2 1st rounders and have Tom Brady magically show up ready to be mauled by pass rushers and be surrounded by complete incompetence.

It's just not going to happen to a man with a legacy to protect and a net worth of a half a billion dollars.

First and foremost, while he is the face of the franchise, Tom Brady is an employee of the New England Patriots and not in any way, above the organization. They may consult him on viable destinations and if BB presents a strong enough case to Krafty, TB12 is gonzo.

Brady would be involved in any trade discussion as much as Kraft and Belichick would be, and he would have the most authoritative voice in the room.

BB and his guys would work the deal. Present it to Kraft who would most likely have a convo with the other owner and Brady himself. The last thing the Pats would want is a bitter breakup and neither would Brady.

He would go to the team that had the talent that he could elevate to a Superbowl, and no other, and given that indisputable truth, why then would you even trade him? Because Kraft is in a rush to move on to JAG? To sign other players just to have Tom Brady smash your face in with a stacked team? Please.

If he still has most of his abilities, their first choice would be to trade him to the NFC. If an AFC offered two 1sts (doubtful) the team would consider it no doubt.

[/QUOTE]It's completely pointless, especially now with him showing everyone how he still plays when he actually has protection. Tom Brady might not still possess every single ability he had in his very peak, but he's still a lights out quarterback with #1 potential every any given Sunday, has a towering on field presence, attacks the center of the field like nobody else in the game, and, as you will see if he keeps getting protection, remains the best quarterback in the league.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That does not mean he won't be traded. BB's Mantra- Always better to get rid of an aging veteran one year early then one year late.

If Wright continues to improve, you'll all remember that Tom Brady with two Tight Ends is the most unstoppable force in the NFL.

This is an overstatement. His job becomes easier with more reliable weapons to throw to and protect him - not just two TEs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back