PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady's Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting breakdown from Barnwell about the structure of Tom Brady's contract. It's the second item down, "Tom Tom Club."

Week 5 Wrap-up: The Patriots' Roller Coaster Continues | Grantland

The basics are that Brady's contract is structured in such a way that if the team doesn't move him before the trade deadline and he's on the roster at the end of the year, there's another $24M that becomes guaranteed in his extension and cutting/trading him after that would have significant salary cap implications over the next 3 seasons. So those who think the team can easily hand it over to Jimmy in a year or two, read this.

Unlike some ESPN writers, Barnwell isn't trying to cause a ****-storm. He writes that he doesn't expect NE to do this, nor does he think they even should, as he casts the blame on the offense on many others in the first item in his column as well as the second. He's just pointing out the contract issue that will make it almost impossible to do. Trading or cutting him would throw anywhere from $18M to $42M in dead money against the cap after this season.

For those who believe Brady should play for the minimum, they don't realize it means he could get cut in an instant without any ramifications. It's a stupid, short-sighted expectation of the greatest Patriot of all-time. I believe he structured the deal this way on purpose to not only give back some money, but also guarantee him the best opportunity to continue as the starter for this team.

Also interesting is that while Barnwell isn't advocating it, if they do trade Brady before the trade deadline, they eat the $18M on next year's cap, but they are offering up Tom Brady, franchise QB locked in at 3 years, $24M. That would definitely be worth at least 1 1st, if not more to the right team. Again, he's not advocating for it, just pointing out one of the perhaps unintended contractual consequences.

This should also put a serious dent in Mortensen's story with multiple "sources" claiming they could move on sooner, but not this year. It wouldn't make sense to do it except for this year, so either the source isn't that well-connected, or we're about to commit cap suicide in the next two years.

Last night when Gillette stadium was vibrating from the chants of Brady, Brady I think that threw egg in the face of any thought of Brady being cut or traded. Kraft and Belichick would be idiotic not to take notice of that, Brady is the face of the franchise.

Last night when Gillette stadium was vibrating from the chants of Brady, Brady I think that threw egg in the face of any thought of Brady being cut or traded. Kraft and Belichick would be idiotic not to take notice of that, Brady is the face of the franchise.

Like I said before the game, New Englanders would go mental if they ever tried it

Bernie Kosar was the face of the Browns franchise.

Wow. That is one incredible post.

If you actually think Bill Belichick's decision making is affected by the cheering of fans, then you have missed the past 15 years of Patriots history .

LOL, maybe he'll poll the school teachers and mail carriers like he did for Bledsoe! :D

Last edited:
Wow/ If you think Bill Belichick's decision making is affected by the cheering of fans, you really do not understand the past 15 years.
I do not think that they have but I think this is a completely different circumstance. I also do not think when it comes to Brady it is a Belichick only call, I think Kraft would have a say in any move that impacted Tom Brady.

Thinking Brady is just another player like Seymour, Mankins, Welker, etc. is not logical, then again thinking a late second pick will be capable of replacing the GOAT in year 2 because he had a decent preseason and strong garbage time showing in a blowout loss is illogical also but many feel that could happen as well. That is my opinion anyway you are free to agree or disagree.

You have to see the irony in using the NFL being a business assertion when it comes to moving on from Brady but then saying what the fans who the business earns money from feelings do not matter.

Brady has a much prettier face. Also Kosar only played in 14 games in the 2 seasons prior to leaving Cleveland.

Please. You're just insulting everyone's intelligence right now.

Last edited:
Stop it. Please. You're just insulting everyone's intelligence right now.
What are you talking about? I am sharing my opinion, that has no baring on anyone's intelligence. Clearly you do not agree with my opinion so let's leave it at that and agree to disagree on this one.

I do not think that they have but I think this is a completely different circumstance. I also do not think when it comes to Brady it is a Belichick only call, I think Kraft would have a say in any move that impacted Tom Brady.

Thinking Brady is just another player like Seymour, Mankins, Welker, etc. is not logical, then again thinking a late second pick will be capable of replacing the GOAT in year 2 because he had a decent preseason and strong garbage time showing in a blowout loss is illogical also but many feel that could happen as well. That is my opinion anyway you are free to agree or disagree.

You have to see the irony in using the NFL being a business assertion when it comes to moving on from Brady but then saying what the fans who the business earns money from feelings do not matter.

LOL, worried about a late 2nd round pick!

How about a 6th round pick replacing Face of the Franchise and Bob Kraft Stepson Drew Bledsoe? Or cutting Lawyer Milloy the week before the season and replacing him with Eugene Wilson?

Seriously, ask an uncle what it was like in the early 2000's.

You may want to read a few books about it.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? I am sharing my opinion, that has no baring on anyone's intelligence. Clearly you do not agree with my opinion so let's leave it at that and agree to disagree on this one.

Does Belichick employ one of those applause-meters when making personnel decisions? Maybe he gets some Madison Avenue execs to measure Q ratings.

I'm sorry, Brady6, but you're killing me! I'm literally laughing out loud at the premise you are putting forth.

How about a 6th round pick replacing Drew Bledsoe? Or cutting Lawyer Milloy the week before the season and replacing him with Eugene Wilson?

Seriously, read a few books about it.
Bledsoe was injured and Brady led them to the playoffs coming off a 6-10 season. Comparing Milloy to Brady is like comparing a Bentley to a Kia.

Does Belichick employ one of those applause-meters when making personnel decisions? Maybe he gets some Madison Avenue execs to measure Q ratings.
Obviously you are just trying to argue with me so I am going to say good night.

Bernie Kosar was the face of the Browns franchise.

Kosar was terrible at that point, Brady is a long long way from that point. If they actually traded him for picks i would turn off football, most likely for good.

After being there last night and yelling brady brady brady with almost everyone else. I still realize he may not finish his career here. But even if that happens. He will be a legend in these parts no matter what. Just enjoy the good times guys

I hope he retires here...but he may not. Up in the air IMO. Not being cut...but playing out contract and still wanting to play

How about a 6th round pick replacing Drew Bledsoe? Or cutting Lawyer Milloy the week before the season and replacing him with Eugene Wilson?

Seriously, read a few books about it.

Brady is in his own class. He's above Belichick being able to just ship him off somewhere. Well above.

Brady has a much prettier face. Also Kosar only played in 14 games in the 2 seasons prior to leaving Cleveland.
Plus BB did not draft Kosar or ride him to 3 Super Bowl titles...

Kosar was terrible at that point, Brady is a long long way from that point. If they actually traded him for picks i would turn off football, most likely for good.

No one is saying that, today, Belichick would ever think of replacing Brady. However, if he started falling off in his performance, the "cheering of his name" by the crowd will not sway Belichick. That was just too funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes