PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady wants fans well hydrated Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Brady's recommendation, "Start drinking early!"

==========================================

I do not recall any rebuttal on Rex's comments from him or the Jets PR staff.

I would argue that the considering Pat fans, that Brady"s comments could be construed as marching orders for over drinking of alcohol, drinking could result in traffic accidents, deaths, and fan violence.

Brady could be putting a significant percent of the Pats fan base at serious risk.

:rolleyes:

Personally, I think both Brady's and Rex's comments are total non-issues. Brady was joking. So was Rex.

I thought the Pats press release was ridiculous. Obviously that wasn't what Brady meant and probably exacerbated the issue. But after seeing what Rex went through last week, they probably wanted to get ahead of the story.

The Jets didn't issue a press release, but Rex did address the issue in his press conference. It is just two different tact to try to acheive the same goal - diffuse the situation.

Mock outrage has become big business in the US. It's a sad state of affairs.

So true and I am so tired of it. Free speech? Not if the media has anything to say or show about it. It's not like he used bad language or said there was no God but still they have to make a story out of nothing.

Rex was completely serious and basically threatened bodily harm (or I guess, said, "hey, if you come to bodily harm, I warned ya.") while Tom was laughing and urging the fans to be loud. Two different things. But, I agree it was pretty funny that the PR dept. felt the need to spin what Tom said.

======================================

I think you are misquoting Rex.

I didn't think he was at all completely serious, I suppose that is just the homer in one of us.

Missed in the oh so PC 'outrage' at mentioning drinking is that Brady would like the pink hats to actually make some noise and act like a raucous home opener crowd Sunday. That means all you corporate brown nose pukes who score company tix to the game.

I would say your mood was not confused but it is angry.

So true and I am so tired of it. Free speech? Not if the media has anything to say or show about it. It's not like he used bad language or said there was no God but still they have to make a story out of nothing.
A common misperception about free speech is that it entitles people to say whatever they want. It doesn't. Freedom of speech is not absolute and that right includes limitations (libel, slander, obscenity, urging others to commit a crime, etc.) With that said, Brady's comments seem harmless to me when taken in the context that they were made. Having attended many games in Foxboro, I feel safe in stating that no one needs to encourage fans there to drink (yours truly included) They/we can take care of that on their/my own. I suppose some nitwit could make the case that the comments were encouraging people to get drunk and then they'd be subject to public drunkenness laws, DUI, etc. But honestly, we all probably need too lighten up a little.

Last edited:
We tailgate in one of the north end satellite lots and when walking to the stadium I ALWAYS put my WATER in a cup. Remember hydration is key to Pats passion

I swear I remember Drew Brees saying almost exactly the same thing before a Saints playoff game in 09 and no one cared.

I don't see that. PWP is right. Seeing most of the "RED" seats empty and quiet suks. Making as much noise as possible HELPS our team when our opponent is on the offense. The lunch pail crowd seems to do all the work there. Everyone NEEDS to get in the GAME !! Go Pats.... :rocker:

Obviously, after watching the clip, Tommy was clowning around and this was a locker room joke. There was a little bit of an edge to the joke because of his previous comments about fan noise (or lack thereof).

Problem is, it was "Tom Brady" speaking and the guy is so high profile now that everything he says or does from how he cuts his hair to the clothes he wears when he goes out with Gisele is photographed, tweeted, You-tubed or recorded and then dissected a million times by people looking to get an edge or make a buck off of him.

So, the team feels it has to come out with a ridiculous "spin" on the remark instead of just letting it go or responding to questions by saying, "If you watch the clip, you can clearly see that he's just messing with the media and, a little bit, with the fans."

The overreaction to his joke is why so many people in the public eye, from politicians to move stars, never let their guard down in public and come across like stick figures. In this case, Tom Brady makes a joke about adults loosening up so they'll make noise at a football game and all of a sudden he's "encouraging drunkenness, under age drinking and violent behavior at a sports event" and "raising the risk of auto accidents, injuries and fatalities."

If I were him, I probably wouldn't even tell someone the time of day because it could be misconstrued: "I asked Tom Brady to tell me the time and it was 6:19, but I could swear he said it was 69 like he wanted to have sex with me."

So, tell us what act(s) of brown nose sucking up you did to score your corporate tix?
Enquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:
I will take his original comment to heart and get lubed up before the game.

I think he should have supplied the drinking game that goes with this directive. We need better instructions!

Every time Matt Light false starts, take a drink

Every time Danny Woodhead gets lost in the LOS then miraculously pops out 10 yds downfield...

Every time 85 lines up in the wrong spot...

Every time Slater goes deep for a pass...

Every time Philip Rivers throws a hissey fit and whines....Wait, too much drinking

I will take his original comment to heart and get lubed up before the game.

I'm trying to do my best to get lubed up in "practices" before Sunday. That way, when Sunday comes I'll be able to get hydrated better in real game situations.

I swear I remember Drew Brees saying almost exactly the same thing before a Saints playoff game in 09 and no one cared.

Well to be fair, drunkenness is the number 1 employer in that city.

Every time Matt Light false starts, take a drink

Every time Danny Woodhead gets lost in the LOS then miraculously pops out 10 yds downfield...

Every time 85 lines up in the wrong spot...

Every time Slater goes deep for a pass...

Every time Philip Rivers throws a hissey fit and whines....Wait, too much drinking

LOL - We're not going to make it past the first quarter before we pass out, especially on the 2nd one. How does Woodhead do that?

Ricker-Racker, Firecracker,

Sis-Boom-Bah!

Hydrate! HYDRATE!

Rah! Rah! Rah!

:yeeha:

As opposed to Boston, Providence or Worcester?
You're not from around here, are you?:D

You betcha! New England was soaking up Rum long before anyone drained enough swamp to discover New Orleans....... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes