PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BRADY vs ROTHLISBERGER

Status
Not open for further replies.
TeamPats said:
I mean a Pats fan # 1 defense is scoreboard and winning %, let's not be too hypocritical here.

In the first couple of years, maybe. Brady's now so statistically impressive that his numbers can stand on their own too.

The difference between Brady and Roethlisberger is the Patriots take the ball, put it in Brady's hands, and say win this game. Like Montana before him, it's rare that he fails to do this, which is why the Patriots win most of their games. When he has a bad game as in Denver (which wasn't even a bad game, one bad pass... but it was a bad game for Brady), we're all left scratching our heads because it's rare. On the other hand, the Steelers give the ball to Roethlisberger and say don't lose this for us. If the Steelers win, it's usually a result of something else - a big defensive play, a Willie Parker 80 yard run (and referee help), and so on. If the Steelers lose, well, some of the blame gets deflected off Roethlisberger.

Do I think he's a good QB? Well, he has more rings than Peyton. Still, he's young and still has potential yet to be reached. But the same could be said for Brady. I think Manning and Brady are on a different plane than anyone else, with Carson Palmer soon to be there (depending on the injury). Roethlisberger will always be a good QB, but he'll never be among the best. Do I think that, with a different QB, such as Trent Green or Brad Johnson, this Steelers team would've still won? Yes, I do. Do I think that with Johnson or Green the Patriots would've been anything but a .500 team this year? No, I don't. That's where the difference lies.

This is still only Ben's second year. If you had asked me in 2001 if I thought Brady would become the best QB in the NFL, which I do think, I would have said you are out of your mind. And after that 2001 Super Bowl I think everyone would have said if you put Trent Green or Brad Johnson on the Patriot team we still would have won. I say this knowing it probably wasn't true, but at the time I don't think any of us really understood the presence Tom brought to the field, even then. I see a lot of that in Ben, if he is so mediocre how come whenever he is hurt the Steelers automatically lose seemingly?

Who knows what Ben will become but in the mean time the kid knows how to win, period. And I think as Patriots fans we should respect and appreciate that. And he does have very similar characterstics to a young Brady.

I do like Rothlisberger, don't get me wrong. I think he is a good QB, but I just feel that he will become complacent and will bask a bit too much in the SB victory, may even get into some issues this off season - again, just a hunch.

I think what makes Brady's story amazing is that he was suppose to be a life long clipboard carrying QB and that fact that he is the BEST QB in the league and was a 6th round draft pick is just nuts!!!!

Ben just doesn't seem to have the work ethic that Brady does....Brady gets better and better because he works his butt of at it. I could be wrong, but I just don't see Big Ben doing that.

There is no comparison. But you know, I keep waiting for the Cheeseberger to falter and be exposed as a poseur, and even when he does the Stealers win.

richpats said:
I thought if Ben came out and played a good game he would be easily a Top 5 NFL QB, now I'm not sure if he's a top 10. The guy pulls plays out of his ass, his mechanics are horrible, he gets bailed out by his receivers very often.

The silver lining behind this is Ben will never win another SB. The guy has played 6 playoff games, looked good-to-great in 3 and straight ******ed in the other 3.

But Ben made the biggest tackle of the season in Indianapolis. He gets a Tommy Point for that play. :D

Isn't Brady vs. Randel El a better comparison?

Honestly, after yesterday's performance, I think Big Ben and Brad Johnson is a better comparison. Don't get me wrong, Big Ben is way ahead of Brad Johnson at the same point in their career. But, basically, today, they are asked to do the same thing. Don't Lose The Game. Brad Johnson was able protect the ball, hand off to a strong running game, and watch a defense dominate on his way to a superbowl title. He was even able to win a game every now and then. The same can be said for Big Ben. He's a system qb that doesn't make too many mistakes.

One of the reasons Brady and Rothlesberger are in different categories/are incomparable is their mobility. Ben looked like Mike Vick yesterday, making a couple good throws, a lot of bad throws, but rushing very effectively. Brady can't do that... but he CAN drive the field, regardless of the defense, far better than anyone in the game today. You be the judge as to which is more effective.

They're different types of QBs, though, even though they're both physically big.

Last edited:
Whose arguing here? Is there anyone saying that Rothlessberger is as good as Brady?

Atlanta Patsfan said:
I'm not sure I see the point. Big Ben just won a Super Bowl and Tom had to watch.
Brad Johnson won a superbowl, too, and trent Dilfer. So that makes them as good as Brady, Montana, and Elway?

puh-leeesse

F.B.N. said:
Early April Fools joke...:nono: . Seriously, this isn't even close...Brady has/had much bigger stones than Big Ben any day of the week. So, if we see any of these threads anywhere...we can have a little laugh and not even waste our time opening them. Brady is the best Super Bowl QB since Joe Montana...with a slight acknowledgement of Steve Young and John Elway.

Don't ever put that "fathead" rottenburger in the same sentence with one of the GREATEST QB in the history of the NFL......Tom Brady.......

Rottenburger was PATHETIC for the most part yesterday........9 completions for 123 yards?........puh-leese.......

atlanta pats fan.....

F.B.N. said:
9-21...123 yards....2 INT'S and 0 TD'S

Sure the team won...but Batch would have played better. Go here http://mboard.steelers.com/ when you get a chance and you will see threads similar....thus the post.

"9-21...123 yards....2 INT'S and 0 TD'S"

THIS is the point! Yeah he was on the team that lucked their way through this horrid SB.....but do you think he feels like he contributed much to this? You ever play sports in high school and your team wins the championship and you have an off day and don't contribute much? The victory feels kind of hollow for you.....but you still are part of the team I guess and that makes you feel somewhat better......but every TRUE competitor wants to be a MAJOR part of the victory.....not just be part of the team that wins the game........I think I heard today that Rottenburgers numbers were the worst in SB history....or one of the worst........

bite your tongue!!!

TeamPats said:
Ben is very very young, and while I agree Brady is a far superior QB, I think what Ben has done so far this point in his career is pretty damn impressive, and he deserves some credit and perhaps a Brady "comparison" is justified. I mean a Pats fan # 1 defense is scoreboard and winning %, let's not be too hypocritical here. Let's see what Ben does for 3 more years before we conclude anything.

"and perhaps a Brady "comparison" is justified"

Bite your tongue! ;).........there is absolutely NO comparison here whatsoever......Ben is not even close to being in Brady's league....and I don't think he ever will be. QB's like Brady with that kind of instinct....that kind of field presence and awareness only come around ONCE in awhile......like Montana.........Elway.........Marino.......

May be too early to tell on Rottenburger yet....but I don't see those kind of legendary instincts in this kid....he is a middle of the road QB behind a VERY GOOD O line......lots of time to throw....and he still struggles......

great points .....especially

primetime said:
In the first couple of years, maybe. Brady's now so statistically impressive that his numbers can stand on their own too.

The difference between Brady and Roethlisberger is the Patriots take the ball, put it in Brady's hands, and say win this game. Like Montana before him, it's rare that he fails to do this, which is why the Patriots win most of their games. When he has a bad game as in Denver (which wasn't even a bad game, one bad pass... but it was a bad game for Brady), we're all left scratching our heads because it's rare. On the other hand, the Steelers give the ball to Roethlisberger and say don't lose this for us. If the Steelers win, it's usually a result of something else - a big defensive play, a Willie Parker 80 yard run (and referee help), and so on. If the Steelers lose, well, some of the blame gets deflected off Roethlisberger.

Do I think he's a good QB? Well, he has more rings than Peyton. Still, he's young and still has potential yet to be reached. But the same could be said for Brady. I think Manning and Brady are on a different plane than anyone else, with Carson Palmer soon to be there (depending on the injury). Roethlisberger will always be a good QB, but he'll never be among the best. Do I think that, with a different QB, such as Trent Green or Brad Johnson, this Steelers team would've still won? Yes, I do. Do I think that with Johnson or Green the Patriots would've been anything but a .500 team this year? No, I don't. That's where the difference lies.

especially this part:

"Do I think that with Johnson or Green the Patriots would've been anything but a .500 team this year? No, I don't. That's where the difference lies"

and to take this ONE step further....DO YOU THINK THAT THE PATS WOULD HAVE WON 3 SB's in 4 years.......if Rottenburger was the QB instead of Brady.....?? My answer to that is a resounding NO!!!!!

Lol

CTPatsFan said:
There is no comparison. But you know, I keep waiting for the Cheeseberger to falter and be exposed as a poseur, and even when he does the Stealers win.

LOL.......:))

ha ha ha ha

JoeSixPat said:
Isn't Brady vs. Randel El a better comparison?

LOL.....yep....good point

disagree

CheerforTom said:
One of the reasons Brady and Rothlesberger are in different categories/are incomparable is their mobility. Ben looked like Mike Vick yesterday, making a couple good throws, a lot of bad throws, but rushing very effectively. Brady can't do that... but he CAN drive the field, regardless of the defense, far better than anyone in the game today. You be the judge as to which is more effective.

They're different types of QBs, though, even though they're both physically big.

"but rushing very effectively. Brady can't do that"

Disagree. You don't want either of these guys RUNNING unless there is no other options......but when Tom has no other options he can take off running OK....no michael vick.....but Rotty isn't vick either.....that is a misnomer

Someone made a great point about the OL Ben has...that kid has so much time to throw the ball it is sick! As I looked at some of these playoff games, especially the Pitt games I was in awe of the OL protection. Amazing to me that with all that protection he still only completes 9 passes in the SB and statistically does not throw the ball much at all.

All I can think of is, if Tom 'freakin' Brady had that protection we would be an unstoppable freak of nature force on offense.

In order to criticize Ben don't you kinda have to watch more than 1 game? He had a bad game in the SB, but you guys obviously don't know what the Hell you're talking about. Just another Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer?! What the Hell are you guys smoking?!

Did anyone watch ANY of the Steelers playoff games this year? He was the NUMBER ONE reason Pittsburgh got to the SB, he played INCREDIBLE with hardly any help from the running game until the Steelers were in the lead going into the second half of all three playoff games.

The guy is 27-4 in only his SECOND year as a QB, the best record of any QB with that many starts, including Brady. He's also the youngest QB to ever win a SB, who's record did he break? BTW, Ben isn't as good as Brady right now, Brady's the best QB in the league, but here's a little newsflash for you chowdaheads- he's more talented than Brady and he's only going to get better...

Last edited:
Steel77 said:
In order to criticize Ben don't you kinda have to watch more than 1 game? He had a bad game in the SB, but you guys obviously don't know what the Hell you're talking about. Just another Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer?! What the Hell are you guys smoking?!

Did anyone watch ANY of the Steelers playoff games this year? He was the NUMBER ONE reason Pittsburgh got to the SB, he played INCREDIBLE with hardly any help from the running game until the Steelers were in the lead going into the second half of all three playoff games.

The guy is 27-4 in only his SECOND year as a QB, the best record of any QB with that many starts, including Brady. He's also the youngest QB to ever win a SB, who's record did he break? BTW, Ben isn't as good as Brady right now, Brady's the best QB in the league, but here's a little newsflash for you chowdaheads- he's more talented than Brady and he's only going to get better...

Thanks for playing!

I would not go so far as saying Trent Dilfer, but Brad Johnson may just be a great comparison. A guy who is great at doing "just enough". That's Big Ben over the past two years. Do just enough to get a win.

As someone who is fortunate enough to have DirectTV, I've probably seen most of his games. He is VERY good. More talented than Brady though...ay yi yi.

I don't recall Brady throwing two picks in his first SB appearance. I don't recall Brady EVER having the luxury of a Steeler like offensive line. I don't recall Brady even having a running game to bail him out in the second half of games.

So, while Ben is very good, let's not start putting the cart before the horse. He has a SB ring. Good for him. He did nothing to get that ring. He should be thanking Randle El for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back