PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady vs. Montana: First 9 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, those are all from 2008.

Not 2009.

If you paid attention to this season, you would've seen all the articles on how Brady literally did not miss a practice, articles that talked about how the injury just increased his desire for the game, how he wants to play another 10 years, how he came in the morning his kid was born b/c Coach told him to, how Fred Taylor talked about how hard Brady works, etc., etc. I mean, literally a week ago some moron calling EEI espoused the same opinion you are now and Perillo shut him down, and said, just as I told you "Brady has been at Gillette as much as anybody". Again, Reiss has said the same thing and sold that tune all the way back since training camp. As have others.

Honestly, do you pay attention to this team at all?!? I refuse to believe someone who follows this team could be oblivious to what was probably the biggest theme of the offseason all the way through the end of the season, which was Brady's renewed passion for the game, and his ever-increasing role as a leader, and his unmatched work ethic. But, bravo, for somehow being the only person on patsfans who missed that.

So the next time you accuse me of living in a cave, you might want to find links that aren't outdated and actually load, b/c I don't care what Brady said in 2008. We were talking about 2009, and probably the only reason he didn't win the offseason award was b/c he was rehabbing from a blownout knee and therefore couldn't participate in everything that the non-injured player could. The Ed Block award probably means more than anything, as thats only given to one player.

Don't let the facts get in the way. "Um, those are all from 2008.

Not 2009.

If you paid attention to this season, you would've seen all the articles on how Brady literally did not miss a practice"

December 10, 2009:

Tom Brady misses second straight practice with Patriots - NFL - SI.com

December 11, 2009:

Pats' Brady present for start of practice | National Football Post

December 17, 2009:
Brady back at practice after skipping 1 session

And this from February 19, 2009:

"In balancing family obligations and his football career, Brady has been splitting time between California and Gillette Stadium. " : Optimistic Brady says he'll be ready for opener - The Boston Globe

Oh, and your comment about "we were talking about 2009" is kinda funny considering, it was my post, and I know what I was talking about.

I thought you might like this one:

TOM BRADY PICKED VACATION OVER WORKOUTS | With Leather

Oh, and for the record, I love Brady, and have been a Patriots fan for nearly 50 years. I know he works hard, and I know he must have worked hard to come back from his injury. I do know, because I had the same injury.

What gets me bent out of shape is condesending people like you coming on here saying 'didn't you see every single writer saying Brady works out harder than anybody else on the team', and 'don't you know that every writer says Brady literally did not miss a practice.' It's great that you have a passion for the team. So do I. But if you call me out, like you did, be ready to back up what you said, which you didn't, and again can't.

Here are the facts, and you cannot prove them wrong. Brady is one of the best to ever play. At the beginning of his career, his workout schedule was legendary, and won him the preferred parking space every year. The last two years he did not, and I sent you his own quotes where he basically said, life events have changed his priorities. That's not me saying it, it's the man himself.

Did I say he wasn't a hard worker? No. But since he himself admits that he no longer tries for the workout awards, I find it amazing that you are arguing that point with me that his regimen is what it use to be. All indications are that they are not.

Gotta say that in most people's minds Joe Montana will continue to be remembered as the greatest of all time.

And unfortunately Brady will be 1B of his generation to the 1A of Peyton Manning. And even more unfortunately is that it is because Peyton doesn't have the stain of Spygate on his resume.

It's a bigger deal to people outside of NE. I'm just calling it how I see it.

I think you misremember a lot.
Montana was a good clutch player, but not the infallible God you make him out to be. You criticize Brady for playoff losses, of which he has 4 in his life, yet believe Montana always won, when his record was not as good.
As far as calling Brady a whiner, Child Please.

You criticize Brady for not winning big games 'the last few years'? A few is 3. He is 29-8 in 3 years.

Of course you then go on to say that Brady doesnt work as hard as he used to. Are you stalking him? How could you possibly have any such idea?
I guess that him being fully ready by the start of training camp after the knee injury happened because he was lazy or something.

Joe Montana was a great QB, and he and Brady are neck and neck in any comparison, right at the top of the list. You should get your facts straight before trying to detail the small difference between the 2.

AJ, you have known me for years. Do you really think I didn't check Montana's record before I made my post? That's is exactly why I said "usually". You're coming back with I implied Montana was infallible. I said right in my post that he did not always win. I know Brady looks good statistically, which is why the first thing I said is stats can lie. To me, Brady is Top 5 all time. Montana is number one IMHO, and if you think that is sacrelige for a Patriot fan to say that, so be it. We're still cool, right? :)

Gotta say that in most people's minds Joe Montana will continue to be remembered as the greatest of all time.

And unfortunately Brady will be 1B of his generation to the 1A of Peyton Manning. And even more unfortunately is that it is because Peyton doesn't have the stain of Spygate on his resume.

It's a bigger deal to people outside of NE. I'm just calling it how I see it.

I don't think Brady was tarnished much at all by spygate. It pretty much stayed with Bill. It didn't even spread to its coordinators.

Besides, the fact that the Patriots stopped their taping practices the year Brady blew away Peyton's record has to eat Colts fans like you alive.

As I said in another thread, Brady has performed better indoors and outdoors than Manning, statistically. If their stadiums & divisions had been reversed, it would be Brady with the better career numbers.

If Brady gets one more ring and Manning fails to get anymore, Manning won't even be in the conversation for best quarterback of all time. He, like Marino, will always carry around the reputation as someone who choked in the big games, as Manning has done throughout his career except for the 2006 AFCCG when he defeated an exhausted Patriots defense.

Last edited:
Don't let the facts get in the way. "Um, those are all from 2008.

Not 2009.

If you paid attention to this season, you would've seen all the articles on how Brady literally did not miss a practice"

December 10, 2009:

Tom Brady misses second straight practice with Patriots - NFL - SI.com

December 11, 2009:

Pats' Brady present for start of practice | National Football Post

December 17, 2009:
Brady back at practice after skipping 1 session

And this from February 19, 2009:

"In balancing family obligations and his football career, Brady has been splitting time between California and Gillette Stadium. " : Optimistic Brady says he'll be ready for opener - The Boston Globe

Oh, and your comment about "we were talking about 2009" is kinda funny considering, it was my post, and I know what I was talking about.

I thought you might like this one:

TOM BRADY PICKED VACATION OVER WORKOUTS | With Leather

I was referring to not missing a practice during the entirety of training camp. I'm not sure what him missing recent practices due to his numerous injuries has to do with anything. Now you are just cherry picking articles and making a fool of yourself.

The last link quotes Reiss, since then, he has numerous times reversed his tune. As for why Brady wasn't at those workouts, it might've had something to do with the fact that he had been rehabbing all winter, and unlike the rest of the players, he never had a vacation. It's stupid to compare Brady's offseason after blowing out his ACL with the rest of his teammates. Reiss eventually realized that.

I don't have to back up what I'm saying with articles because it has been so prevalent throughout the entire offseason and into the season. I'm not going to hold myself responsible for you apparently sleeping through the last 8 months of the football season.

What are you even arguing? I'll grant you he didn't win the workout award. I don't see the relevancy. You're trying to take that and apply it towards his work ethic and make the assumption that family is interfering with his football life. I don't see the connection.

As for balancing family & work....That's something every adult has to deal with. If anything, family and stable long-term relationships are much, much less distracting than the life of a single man. Do you think Montana sat around and twiddled his thumbs waiting for the next film session? All these guys have lives. As Brady said recently, his life revolves around two things: football and family, which, if anything, he said gave him more time for football than his unmarried life. Seriously, the "but he has a family now" argument is just downright pathetic and has always been, whether its Brady or any other athlete.

Last edited:
I also think Brady leading the 2000/2001 team was pretty impressive, since there
were a lot of "street" free agents on the team at the time.

Brady needs to win a couple more rings if he wants to top Montana. There's still time. You never know what will happen with sports careers though. Tiger Woods was on pace to smash Jack Nicklaus' records. But is he even going to keep playing golf? He's currently out of the game.

There is a poll on ESPN right now http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/4815248/

"which quarterback will have the better legacy"

Of the 15,000 that voted

14% - Tom Brady

32% - Favre

56% - Peyton

It's going to take a lot for Brady to be considered as best all time

Last edited:
I was referring to not missing a practice during the entirety of training camp. I'm not sure what him missing recent practices due to his numerous injuries has to do with anything. Now you are just cherry picking articles and making a fool of yourself.

The last link quotes Reiss, since then, he has numerous times reversed his tune. As for why Brady wasn't at those workouts, it might've had something to do with the fact that he had been rehabbing all winter, and unlike the rest of the players, he never had a vacation. It's stupid to compare Brady's offseason after blowing out his ACL with the rest of his teammates. Reiss eventually realized that.

I don't have to back up what I'm saying with articles because it has been so prevalent throughout the entire offseason and into the season. I'm not going to hold myself responsible for you apparently sleeping through the last 8 months of the football season.

What are you even arguing? I'll grant you he didn't win the workout award. I don't see the relevancy. You're trying to take that and apply it towards his work ethic and make the assumption that family is interfering with his football life. I don't see the connection.

As for balancing family & work....That's something every adult has to deal with. If anything, family and stable long-term relationships are much, much less distracting than the life of a single man. Do you think Montana sat around and twiddled his thumbs waiting for the next film session? All these guys have lives. As Brady said recently, his life revolves around two things: football and family, which, if anything, he said gave him more time for football than his unmarried life. Seriously, the "but he has a family now" argument is just downright pathetic and has always been, whether its Brady or any other athlete.

This is getting way out of hand. Fact is, we both love Brady. We both love the Patriots. I hope more than I can tell you, that his next 5 or 6 years, makes it a no brainer that Brady is the best of all time. He's close now. I'm in the Montana camp as of today. Have a good weekend.

This is getting way out of hand. Fact is, we both love Brady. We both love the Patriots. I hope more than I can tell you, that his next 5 or 6 years, makes it a no brainer that Brady is the best of all time. He's close now. I'm in the Montana camp as of today. Have a good weekend.

It's not 2004 anymore. Brady has thrown 3 INTs in 3 of his last 6 games.

The Pats are one and done.

They haven't won since 2004.

You talk about Manning choking but then gloss over

2005 Denver game
2006 AFC Championship game
2007 SB
2009 WC beatdown where Brady was responsible for 4 TO's.

I read somewhere in here saying that Brady has 12 PO INTs, you need to update your stats, he has 15 and ten of those have came in his last 6 games.

He started off, what 10-0 in the POs? Now he's 14-4. The Pats haven't won anything since 2004. Brady finished as the 9th best QB statistically, this season and the Pats went 10-6 and got creamed in the 1st round as a direct result of Brady playing terribly.

Manning has better stats and a better regular season rating, and don't look now sports fans but Bradys PO rating is tumbling. It's now 85.5, well below his RS rating and barely ahead of Manning's.

Brady is a great QB but best ever? Nope.

You all need to live in the present. Brady isn't even considered the 2nd best QB in the NFL anymore. It's Manning, then Brees, then probably Rivers, Warner is right there too, then you get to Brady, McNabb etc.

Pointing out facts is going to get me banned, so have fun. But you're delusional if you think Brady is even the 2nd best QB in the NFL now.

Sincerely, the truth.

You all need to live in the present. Brady isn't even considered the 2nd best QB in the NFL anymore. It's Manning, then Brees, then probably Rivers, Warner is right there too, then you get to Brady, McNabb etc.

Sincerely, the truth.

Your an f-ing troll. Have fun going one and done, All I know is Brady is 14-4 in the playoffs and Peyton is 7-9. Next year Brady will return to form and the mediots will make him #1 again. In 2007, people thought Manning couldn't sniff Brady.

GFY :)

Pointing out facts is going to get me banned, so have fun. But you're delusional if you think Brady is even the 2nd best QB in the NFL now.

Sincerely, the truth.

If the only the media could ballwash Brady like they do Manning

Manning has an average season and wins his 3rd MVP

Brady has his second best of his career (although he didn't look great) and he is now 5th best in the league today

I try to weigh things equally and I've never doubted Manning is the better QB but to say Brady isn't second in the league is absurd. QBs may play better than him from time to time but it doesn't take away from what he has done and is still capable of

Manning has better stats and a better regular season rating

You fail to mention how Brady's best regular season ever (2007) is better than Manning's best regular season ever (2004).

Brady at his best > Manning at a best.

If the only the media could ballwash Brady like they do Manning

Manning has an average season and wins his 3rd MVP

Brady has his second best of his career (although he didn't look great) and he is now 5th best in the league today

I try to weigh things equally and I've never doubted Manning is the better QB but to say Brady isn't second in the league is absurd. QBs may play better than him from time to time but it doesn't take away from what he has done and is still capable of

Why is it absurd? What points to Brady being 2nd or even 3rd best? Stats, no. Team wins, no. PO numbers or wins? Clearly no.

Brady has had one great statistical season. The rest of the time he did about what he did this season 28TD's-12INTS or so.

And Brady was horrible in the game against the Ravens.

So what exactly would point to him being second best?

You fail to mention how Brady's best regular season ever (2007) is better than Manning's best regular season ever (2004).

Brady at his best > Manning at a best.

No it's not. Brady got one more TD off of 80 or so more passes. That's why Mannings rating for 2004 is higher than Bradys.

Congrats, 80 more passes, 1 more TD.

Congrats, 80 more passes, 1 more TD.

Brady had 80 more passes and still had 2 less INTs than Manning did.

That invalidates the more attempts being a negative argument.

Not to mention a better completion percentage, as well.

Last edited:
Why is it absurd? What points to Brady being 2nd or even 3rd best? Stats, no. Team wins, no. PO numbers or wins? Clearly no.

Brady has had one great statistical season. The rest of the time he did about what he did this season 28TD's-12INTS or so.

And Brady was horrible in the game against the Ravens.

So what exactly would point to him being second best?

What wouldn't?

3x SB champ, could have been 5 if not for the refs handing Peyton the game with their non-existent PI call and a spectacular play from Eli and Tyree

Not to mention most of that happened without the Pro Bowl talent surrounding him on offense that Manning has enjoyed.

He's been solid throughout his career and put up very good number and then finally lands his own HOF receiver and blows the NFL away.

I am not saying Brady will be the best ever, I think barring something miraculous that won't happen. I just think it's silly to discredit what he has accomplished before.

80 more passes and still had 2 less INTs.

That invalidates the more attempts being a negative argument.

Not to mention a better completion percentage, as well.

And Brady had less YPA. We could do this all day.

Brady's rating 117.2

Manning's 121.1

But that is also the only season out of Brady's career where he had a statistically better season than Manning.

And he certainly didn't have a better season than Manning this year despite what your fellow Pats fan there called a "ordinary" season for Manning.

What wouldn't?

3x SB champ, could have been 5 if not for the refs handing Peyton the game with their non-existent PI call and a spectacular play from Eli and Tyree

Not to mention most of that happened without the Pro Bowl talent surrounding him on offense that Manning has enjoyed.

He's been solid throughout his career and put up very good number and then finally lands his own HOF receiver and blows the NFL away.

I am not saying Brady will be the best ever, I think barring something miraculous that won't happen. I just think it's silly to discredit what he has accomplished before.

We're talking about now, not 2004. That's my whole point.

Brady won 3 SB's the last of which was in 2004. How does that say he's the 2nd best now?

And I think Brady is great too, and I realize things are slow around here for obvious reasons, but the statute of limitations for chest thumping is running out for the Pats.

And Brady had less YPA. We could do this all day.

In conclusion, categories where each lead head-to-head.

Manning (2004)
QB Rating
YPA

Brady (2007)
TDs
INTs
Completion Percentage
Total Yards

+Rushing TDs
+Wins

I'll take the second guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back