Not open for further replies.
Re: Brady vs Montana: First 9 years

Montana Postseason Stats
G Att Comp Yds Com% TD INT Rtng
23 734 460 5772 62.7 45 21 95.3

Brady Postseason Stats
G Att Comp Yds Comp % TD INT Rtng
17 595 374 3954 62.5 25 12 88.0

Not saying TB/JM is better. Just pointing out post-season stats. Both are impressive

Your Brady #'s are mostly accurate but for some reason shortchange him of a TD pass.

G Att Comp Yds Comp % TD INT Rtng
17 595 372 3954 62.5 26 12 88.0

Tom Brady Career Game Log | Pro-Football-Reference.com

montana never lost a sb

that's why he'll always be though of as the best

he also never even threw an int in any sb

I agree that we need not diminish Montana's accomplishments, but it seems that you are diminishing Montana's supporting cast. Aside from running an offense that was ahead of its time and that the league had not caught up with, with the best offensive coach in history, the defense had Hall of Famers in Ronnie Lott and Fred Dean in 81.

I'm not diminishing anything. I was responding to a poster trying to make it sound like Montana won everything with Jerry Rice, when it wasn't the case.

Brady in 2007 also ran an offense ahead of its time, with one of the best offensive casts (including the #2 all time receiver) and one of the best HC's ever, and multiple defensive Hall of Famers, and did not get the job done. Montana essentially had this in '89 and destroyed the league on his way to winning the championship.

Thank you to that poster who posted Montana's post-season stats. Montana's post-season stats are the best ever, far beyond Brady's despite only 6 extra games, and it was in an era pre-Peyton-passing rules, when corners could manhandle receivers.

The point of this thread is that Brady is on a great pace (obviously) his first 9 years, and he still has time to become the GOAT. Right now though, Montana is still on top, and Brady's story isn't finished yet.

Last edited:

montana never lost a sb

that's why he'll always be though of as the best

he also never even threw an int in any sb

Going 4-1 in Super Bowls (assuming Brady wins this year) > Going 4-0 in Super Bowls.

The one Super Bowl loss is more impressive than the season Montana didn't even make it.

Going 4-1 in Super Bowls (assuming Brady wins this year) > Going 4-0 in Super Bowls.

The one Super Bowl loss is more impressive than the season Montana didn't even make it.

I disagree. What about their actual performances in Superbowls? Also, if you are simply valuing going to a Superbowl, well Jim Kelly is 0-4 in Superbowls, it doesn't make him better than Brett Favre. John Elway is what, 2-3 in Superbowls? Doesn't make him better than Montana.

Give me a second and I'll pull up Brady's Superbowl number totals.

Brady's numbers are pretty good in Superbowls. In 4 games, he has thrown 1000 yards, 7 td's, 1int. If he has a monster game in his 5th game, he could come close to or surpass what Montana did in 4 games (11 td's, 0 int's), where in the first two Jerry Rice wasn't even on the team yet.

While you're absolutely correct, there's a (dumb) school of thought that disagrees, and you're never going to be able to convince them. To them, you're better off missing the playoffs than having the nerve to lose in the SB.

Interesting tidbit from coldhardfootballfacts

Speaking of Joe Cool, a period of his career that has long been forgotten came from 1985-87. The 49ers went one-and-out in each of those three postseasons, and his passer ratings were 65.6, 34.2 and 42.0 in the three losses. He rebounded nicely, with ratings over 100 in his next eight playoff games.

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: He's a lonely man there in the basement

Brady's 3 lowest playoff ratings: 57.6, 66.4 70.4

I disagree. What about their actual performances in Superbowls? Also, if you are simply valuing going to a Superbowl, well Jim Kelly is 0-4 in Superbowls, it doesn't make him better than Brett Favre. John Elway is what, 2-3 in Superbowls? Doesn't make him better than Montana.

Those aren't valid comparisons because you used QBs with different amounts of Super Bowl wins.

If two QBs have the same amount of SB wins but one has more appearances, the latter is more impressive in terms of leading his team to success.

First 10 years...

Tom Brady (2000-2009)
Joe Montana (1979-1989)

TDs
Brady: 225
Montana: 159

INTs
Brady: 99
Montana: 99

Yards
Brady: 30,844
Montana: 27,533

NFL MVP
Brady: 1
Montana: 0

Super Bowl Championships
Brady: 3
Montana: 3

Conference Championships
Brady: 4
Montana: 3

Division Championships
Brady: 7
Montana: 7

Playoff Record
Brady: 14-4 (.777)
Montana: 10-4 (.714)

Pro Bowl Selections
Brady: 5
Montana: 5

Last edited:

First 10 years...

TDs
Brady: 225
Montana: 171

INTs
Montana: 92
Brady: 99

Yards
Brady: 30,844
Montana: 27,606

NFL MVP
Brady: 1
Montana: 0

Super Bowl Championships
Brady: 3
Montana: 2

Conference Championships
Brady: 4
Montana: 2

Playoff Record
Brady: 14-4 (.777)
Montana: 7-5 (.583)

Pro Bowl Selections
Brady: 5
Montana: 5

Montana's record is 16-7 in the playoffs..not 7-5 - Where the hell did you get that from?

Montana also won 4 Superbowls..NOT 2
Montana was MVP 3 times

Is this a joke??

Seriously I love Brady but he could not carry Joe's Jock Strap when in comparison as a QB and leader on the field...Brady is much more comparable to Peyton Manning right now as best of the decade..A healthy Brady the past 2 years could have changed it a bit though.

Last edited:

Montana's record is 16-7 in the playoffs..not 7-5 - Where the hell did you get that from?

Montana was MVP 3 times

Is this a joke??

Seriously I love Brady but he could not carry Joe's Jock Strap when in comparison as a QB and leader on the field...Brady is much more comparable to Peyton Manning right now as best of the decade..A healthy Brady the past 2 years could have changed it a bit though.

I think Montana was MVP 2 times.

The rules today are WAY more friendly to generate passing stats than in Montana's playing days. Straight numbers comparisons do not prove anything unless in the same era.

He was this close though:

last_pass.jpg

Seriously, your expectations of how that drive should've unfolded remain outlandish, and you erroneously blame it on the OC. Honestly, they needed more than 40 yards. The coaching staff didn't let Ghost kick a 48 yarder earlier in the game, clearly they knew something we didn't. They needed to get to the 30, which would be 50 yards, and it had to be done in 30 seconds. After the blown block on 2nd down, they had no option but the bomb...and you can see how damn close it was.

That last drive of SB 42 will haunt me forever. They started on the 26 with 29 seconds and 3 timeouts. 40 yards would have put them at the 34 and at least given Ghost a shot at a 51 yard game tying FG. Why all the long bombs? 3-4 short completions would have been enough.

Ugggh I hate that day.

That last drive of SB 42 will haunt me forever. They started on the 26 with 29 seconds and 3 timeouts. 40 yards would have put them at the 34 and at least given Ghost a shot at a 51 yard game tying FG. Why all the long bombs? 3-4 short completions would have been enough.

Ugggh I hate that day.

do you want to know why we lost that game much less did nothing on that last drive? The reason is sitting in Denver right now. Go ask the broncos fans how McDaniels' playcalling was.

Tom led his team to defeat in SB 42. Joe Montana never lead his team to defeat in a SB. Joe led his team to victory in each SB he played in. Joe passed the ball into the end zone to win a SB. Tom never did that.

The SB 42 loss was an EPIC defeat. One of the greatest sports losses of all time. Tom was a key part of that debacle. That loss puts a ball and chain around Tom's neck when it comes to comparing him to Joe Montana. Put your stats away.

Last edited:

Tom led his team to defeat in SB 42. Joe Montana never lead his team to defeat in a SB. Joe lead his team to victory in each SB he played in. Joe passed the ball into the end zone to win a SB. Tom never did that.

The SB 42 loss was an EPIC defeat. One of the greatest sports losses of all time. Tom was a key part of that debacle. That loss puts a ball and chain around Tom's neck when it comes to comparing him to Joe Montana. Put your stats away.

Unless Brady has one helluva next 4 years there is no way on gods green earth you could consider Brady better than Montana or even in the same breath....I would say he is more on an even pace with Manning,especially in the last 5 years. - Brady is currently in the top 5 best QBs of all time but no one is really in Montana's class at this time..

Next generation QBs like Brees,Flacco,Ryan,Rodgers and Rivers are the ones that will fight to rise to the elite level and join the legends as Brady and Manning go their way.

Last edited:

Were any of Montana's playoff games, especially after becoming an experienced quarterback as bad as Brady's was this weekend?

Yes, everyone forgets that the 49ers had a "dynasty" that didn't end until the late 90s. You can't count out a team that has a great coach and quarterback because of a few seasons without a Super Bowl win. People are just stupid.

Montana was MVP 3 times

Is this a joke??

I think the thing said the first 9 years bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back