Brady vs. Manning: Help me out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
So since we're starting to hear the nitwits say that if Manning wins next Sunday he's the 'greatest ever', I'm launching a site to counter that foolish statement. Please post any and all stats (the 3 rings, td record, etc we all know - I'm looking for some of the more obscure stuff) in this thread, so I can have some indisputable evidence to use there.

Ian

Re: Brady vs Manning Help me out

In my personal opinion, the only stat that matters is SB rings:

TFB: 3

Gomer: 1

No doubt if the ring totals were reversed and it was Brady playing next sunday, all the "mediots" would be saying how even if Brady wins, Manning would still have one more ring from Brady. Pretty pathetic if you ask me...

it's getting harder to do Ian. Sad but true. I'd rank Manning a little ahead of TFB if the Colts win it in two weeks. The guy is incredible.

The one big knock i have against him...is that he has played more than half his career games in a dome.

Offensive Talent

1st Round Picks
Marvin Harrison (WR)
Reggie Wayne (WR)
Anthony Gonzalez (WR)
Dallas Clark (TE)
Edgerrin James (RB)
Joseph Addai (RB)

Pro-Bowlers (While w/ Manning)
Marvin Harrison (8x)
Jeff Saturday (5x)
Reggie Wayne (4x)
Edgerrin James (4x)
Tarik Glenn (3x)
Marshall Faulk (1x)
Dallas Clark (1x)
Ken Dilger (1x)
Joseph Addai (1x)
= 28 total selections

Conditions: RCA Dome/Lucas Oil (artificial elements/noise) vs Foxboro (rain, snow, freezing, etc.)
Minimum indoors games a year: 9 (Home + Texans)

Manning's defense always sucks?

Colts Defense (PPG)
#1 (2007)
#2 (2005)
#7 (2002)
#8 (2009)
#10 (2008)

Pro-Bowlers (While w/ Manning)
Dwight Freeney (5x) AFC Defensive Player of the Year / 2004 Sack Leader
Bob Sanders (2x) NFL Defensive Player of the Year
Robert Mathis (2x)
Cato June (1x)
Antoine Bethea (1x)
=11 total selections

Super Bowl Post-Season Stats

Trent Dilfer (2000)
3 TDs / 1 INT / 83.7 Rating

Brad Johnson (2002)
5 TDs / 3 INTs / 79.9 Rating

Peyton Manning (2006)
3 TDs / 7 INTs / 70.5 Rating

Manning yearly highlights

1998: Throws 28 INTs during regular season as team misses playoffs.
1999: Throws 0 TDs in 42 attempts in first round elimination loss to Titans.
2000: Throws 1 TD in first round elimination loss to Dolphins, giving Miami their only playoff win of entire decade.
2001: Throws 23 INTs during regular season as team misses playoffs.
2002: Throws 0 TDs and 2 INTs in 41-0 first round elimination loss to the 9-7 Jets.
2003: Throws 4 INTs in AFC Championship game in elimination loss to Patriots. "MVP" season
2004: Throws 0 TDs and 1 INT in AFC Championship game in elimination loss to Patriots. "MVP" season
2005: Throws 1 TD at home in a first game elimination loss to the Steelers, after a 14-2 season.
2006: Throws 3 TDs + 7 INTs and obtains a 70.5 rating during his *best* post-season.
2007: Throws 6 INTs in regular season loss to Norv Turner's Chargers then proceeds to be eliminated in first playoff game by same team.
2008: Throws 1 TD against 31st ranked Norv Turner pass defense in a first round elimination loss to 8-8 Chargers. "MVP" season

Post-season first game eliminations: 6
Interception total league ranking: 1998 (#1) / 2001 (#2) / 2002 (#3)

Brady ('07) had more attempts than Manning ('04), so who cares!

Yet in 81 addditional pass attempts Brady still had...

Less interceptions
Higher completion percentage

...making both of those stats even more impressive.

Inspirational Quotes

AP: "I’m trying to be a good teammate here. Let’s just say we had some problems with protection."
YT: "Hey! Hey, hiya! Hey! Quit calling the ******* plays, alright? Bull ****. Just play ******* center. Yeah Jeff, we will. When we call pass plays, block!"
YT: "God damn it, Donald!"

+ Sat on a woman's unwilling face?

Last edited:
I think the work the Football Outsiders did this year says it all. When looking beyond touchdowns and yards, and counting factors such as the stadiums/weather you play in and the defenses that you play against, the numbers tell a much different story.

it's getting harder to do Ian. Sad but true. I'd rank Manning a little ahead of TFB if the Colts win it in two weeks. The guy is incredible.

The one big knock i have against him...is that he has played more than half his career games in a dome.

Seriously. Just give me ONE more playoff game where Manning has to come here!

Don't take any of this Goober chat seriously. We heard Tom Brady was the best all-time just 2 years ago in 2007. The same crowd has Brett Favray as an all-time great. Diva B MIGHT make my top 10. Might!! Let's see what the mediots say about Goober and his legacy after Drew Brees and the Saints win the SB. ;)

Looks like you Patriot fans are preparing to go into full damage control mode, and rightfully so.

Good stuff so far. This nonsense about him just drives me nuts. I understand he's a great qb, I'm not denying that. However I thought the point of each NFL season was to win a championship and make the guys around you better not just numbers (and Brady's pretty comparable and did have one of the greatest seasons ever as a qb). I guess I'm just talking crazy there.

Needless to say great job, and keep them coming :cool:

If TB didn't win a SB ring next year or so, the debate between Manning and TB is interesting.

I'm not a kool-aid fan. If some of us claimed that Manning was NOT great because he HAD X and Y talented players, would you say the same thing about TB when he had Moss and Welker????

I'll wait and see what TB can do in 2010 season. The race between TB and Manning is CLOSE right now. I'd love to see TB create a huge distance between him and Manning if HE can do it in 2010 season.

If TB can win a ring or two more, TB is the BEST. As long as TB allows Manning and another QB to stay close with him, it's tough to claim he is the greatest QB because one of these QBs will pass TB at some point in the future.

Last edited:
Well if Samuel holds on to the ball in the final drive of SB 42 Brady had 4 rings, an unbeaten season, and the best single season by a QB in NFL history.

You play to win the game.

Manning 1-0

Brady 3-1

The only stat that matters.

Last edited:
Looks like you Patriot fans are preparing to go into full damage control mode, and rightfully so.

Well if Manning looses, it just strengthens the pro-Brady argument.

Last edited:
Brady and Manning during the regular season are just about head to head.

The post-season is where there are absolutely no comparison.

Manning: 9-8 (soon to be 9-9)
Brady: 14-4

AFC championship

Manning: 2
Brady: 5

Superbowls:

Manning: 1/1
Brady 3/4

there is not much you can say manning has all the stats and he's team with out him are pertty much a 500 team. the pats with out brady went 11-5 and with him went 10-6 yes we know this years team. was much worst then 2008. but that wont work vs colts fans

it will have to wait untill next year. if brady comes out and plays like he did this year throwing ugly deep balls and not geting the ball to all he's guys and just moss, and welker gets the ball then manning is the GOAT

the pats with out brady went 11-5 and with him went 10-6

Or...

The Patriots without Brady had 0 zero Super Bowls. The Patriots with Brady have 3 Super Bowls.

The 2000 Patriots (minus Brady) went 5-11. The 2001 Patriots (w/ Brady) went 11-5 and won the Super Bowl.

Mogamedogz said:

I'm not denying that, and you're definitely right - he continues to play well and a win Sunday will close the gap. But by closing the gap, that doesn't exactly qualify him as the 'best ever' - at least not yet.

As I said he's a great QB. I'd be pretty ignorant to say otherwise. But this incessant love affair the media has with him is nausiating.

Great point. I wonder what his indoor/outdoor overall record is...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Brady got bashed and critiqued for losing just his 4th post-season game while media never brings up Manning's playoff losses.

04 Manning Passer Rating:
PR of defenses he played:
Adjusted PR:

07 Brady PR:
PR of defenses played:
Adjusted PR:

Unless Brady bounces back and has a phenomenal year next year it's going to be hard to keep putting Brady ahead of Manning.

A lot of people knock Manning for his post season record but if you put Peyton on the Pats w/ Belichick during the championship years I wouldn't be suprised if he had a few more rings.

As far as I'm concerned right now Peyton is better but that could easily change next season when we're finished.

You won't really be able to judge them until they both retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes