PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady vs Manning Debate to end this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You my as well go bang your head up against a brick wall because 95% of the people on this forum won't recognize anything good by anybody other then Pats players, Manning could lead the Colts to 5 straight 16-0 seasons and 5 superbowl wins in a row and they would still say its not that big of deal.

No one's arguing that Peyton isn't a great QB. Brady's just better, and he's proving it this year based on the argument that every Brady basher uses about him being a "system QB" and his supporters that claimed he never had a cast of characters similar to Manning.

Let's put it this way, playing in a dome 8 games a year has allowed him to make it to the Fantasy Football HOF, but he'll never be mentioned as "clutch" or "one of the all-time greats."

I'll be honest. If I were a GM and I had my druthers, I'd probably pick TB. He is a gamer and he never gives up. But so is PM. What he did against NE last playoff game can't be ignored or discounted. Granted, it was in the dome. But PM displayed that classic "refuse to lose" mentality and that always counts.

Really guys, they're both excellent QB's. I don't think you can go wrong with either of em. No question PM has demonstrated the ability to win games. Sheesh, didn't Indy just set the record for most consecutive 10+ win seasons?

IMO TB does get the edge because he's managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat more often. I'm sure we're all aware of how many games the pats could have lost in the waning minutes if TB sucked.

Let's put it this way, playing in a dome 8 games a year has allowed him to make it to the Fantasy Football HOF, but he'll never be mentioned as "clutch" or "one of the all-time greats."[/QUOTE]

Not that I care much for the guy, BUT he has amassed some stats and opinions of some former "all-time" greats that would disagree with that. I have to give credit where credit is due, even I will give him his props as a top ten "all-time" QB.:eek:

I'll be honest. If I were a GM and I had my druthers, I'd probably pick TB. He is a gamer and he never gives up. But so is PM. What he did against NE last playoff game can't be ignored or discounted. Granted, it was in the dome. But PM displayed that classic "refuse to lose" mentality and that always counts.

Really guys, they're both excellent QB's. I don't think you can go wrong with either of em. No question PM has demonstrated the ability to win games. Sheesh, didn't Indy just set the record for most consecutive 10+ win seasons?

IMO TB does get the edge because he's managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat more often. I'm sure we're all aware of how many games the pats could have lost in the waning minutes if TB sucked.

I'd argue that they never would've been there without Tom Brady.

Manning played pitch and catch with Clark in that 4th quarter against guys who were on the STREET a few weeks earlier...our whole starting secondary was either nicked or out. Them's the breaks but Manning didn't make any "awesome!!!" throws, they were no brainers. He throws more wobble ducks than any QB in the league.

I have something to add.

both quarterbacks are suddenly free agents. Colts get first pick.

70% of colts fans choose brady (and you'll lie and disagree, but in your heart of hearts you know I'm right).

100% of patriots fans choose brady. Not one vote for Manning. Not One.

yes, that was a scientific polling sample. My paper is in peer review as we speak.

naaa I think it would be 100% both ways, we all love our QB's...

I'd argue that they never would've been there without Tom Brady.
Yea, there's that. Which begs the question, is NE's success about great players or great coaching? Is it about players rising to the occasion or is it all about game planning and good coaching decisions? In the end, IMO, I'd say the ratio is about 80-20 player personnel.

Same holds true for the Colts. No friggin way they win 10+ games 6 seasons in a row without PM. Neither Dungy nor Beli laces em' up. Coaches can institute a solid game plan and coaches can make good in game decisions. But in the end you've gotta have the talent. You've gotta have talent that is highly motivated and that talent has to execute.

Last edited:
Yea, there's that. Which begs the question. Is NE's success about great players or great coaching? Is it about players rising to the occasion or is it all about game planning and good coaching decisions? In the end, IMO, I'd say the ratio is about 80-20 player personnel.

Same holds true for the Colts. No friggin way they win 10+ games 6 seasons in a row without PM. Neither Dungy nor Beli laces em' up. Coaches can institute a solid game plan and coaches can make good in game decisions. But in the end you've gotta have the talent. You've gotta have talent that is highly motivated and that talent has to execute.

Manning's a great quarterback. Like Marino, he's among the best passers ever to play the game. Unfortunately for him and the Colts' future, like Marino, Manning is one of the biggest chokers under pressure that the league has ever seen.

Manning's a great quarterback. Like Marino, he's among the best passers ever to play the game. Unfortunately for him and the Colts' future, like Marino, Manning is one of the biggest chokers under pressure that the league has ever seen.
But not exactly. Marino never got it done. Manning did and he had to work through his team's arch nemesis to do it. PM will be a lock for the HOF because of that regardless of what he does in the future.

Yea, there's that. Which begs the question, is NE's success about great players or great coaching? Is it about players rising to the occasion or is it all about game planning and good coaching decisions? In the end, IMO, I'd say the ratio is about 80-20 player personnel.

I agree 100% not to be picky or anything but we have won at least 12 games 5 straight seasons now. Damn Bolts always seem to have our number one way or another..good luck in the playoffs...:eat1:

One decent half of football doesn't make him a great playoff QB. His mediocre 1TD, 1INT performance in the Super Bowl was more indicative of the player he is in big games.

Last edited by a moderator:
One decent half of football doesn't make him a great playoff QB. His mediocre 1TD, 1INT performance in the Super Bowl was more indicative of the player he is in big games.

but yet still made the proper adjustments at the LOS and read the defense perfectly to win the game.

But not exactly. Marino never got it done. Manning did and he had to work through his team's arch nemesis to do it. PM will be a lock for the HOF because of that regardless of what he does in the future.

Manning won only because of a fluke of circumstances. A healthy New England squad was kicking the hell out of that Colts team before the wheels came off the train.

Having said that, I don't mean in any way to imply that Manning is not one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history. He is. He's simply in the Dan Marino/Fran Tarkenton class of quarterbacks who didn't have the ability to translate individual greatness to team success and the highest level. That's why I'll always rate the Tom Bradys, Joe Montanas and Johnny Unitases of the world above a Marino or a Manning. Manning is 7-6 in the playoffs because he folds under pressure, not because his team can't get it done.

Last edited:
If you're looking for Manning ballwashing, you've come to the wrong place. To me, he's the Barry Bonds of football as far as being really annoying. I actually have more respect for Bonds. At least he doesn't pretend he's not an a**hole. Manning's all about Manning. Even his teammates probably hate him. I'll never forget "I'm trying to be a good teammate here, but let's say we had some problems with protection." How about you just admit you had a bad game?

If you're looking for Manning ballwashing, you've come to the wrong place. To me, he's the Barry Bonds of football as far as being really annoying. I actually have more respect for Bonds. At least he doesn't pretend he's not an a**hole. Manning's all about Manning. Even his teammates probably hate him. I'll never forget "I'm trying to be a good teammate here, but let's say we had some problems with protection." How about you just admit you had a bad game?

To compare Manning to Bonds is insane and shows you know nothing about football at all. I would even bet a few Pats fans on this board would agree with that.

Last edited:
He won the game. The Colts won the game.

Thats all that matters.

If he played a flawless game in the Super Bowl and the Colts lost who would care. Win ugly or pretty. Just win.
Exactly. It's almost comical. :rolleyes:

Brady threw 3 picks and should have thrown 5 picks last playoff game against the Chargers. He had a more than pedestrian 58% QBR. In point of fact it was his worst playoff game ever statistically and probably performance wise. But in the end he helped NE win the game. End of story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back