PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady vs. Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared2181

On the Roster
Reaction score
So I notice that a lot of people are comparing Brady's first start against the Colts with Cassel's first start against the Jet's; Similar stats and all don't get me wrong I think Cassel has been great so far but...

The difference between Brady and Cassel and Brady vs. any QB for that matter is not how they perform during the course of the game but how they perform when the game is on the line.

Brady became a sure fire hall of famer by constantly coming through in the clutch. Just taking into account last year's games swapping Brady for Cassel:

1# Pats lose to the Colts

2# Pats lose to the Eagles

3# Pats lose to the Ravens

4# Possible losses to Steelers, Jets, and Dolphins

5# Pat's lose to Giants

6# Pat's lose to Jags first playoff game

Re-watch last years games and tell me how they beat the Colt's, Eagles, Ravens, Giants, or Jags without Brady.

i think (along with many others) that comparing Matt Cassel to Tom Brady's is a little unfair for this season but comparing him to Brady performance last season is even more far fetched. you're probably right that Cassel's would have given the Pats a much smaller chance at winning those key games last season but the fact of the matter is he didn't have to. he did his job; to be the backup quarterback ready to take Tom Brady's place at any give moment. he seems ready to take on the job as the Pat's starting QB this season and has done a good job thus far to help the Pats get 2/2 wins, which you pointed out. that should be the only real issue to address here. plus in the coming weeks the Pats have Miami, the bye week and San Francisco, which will be good opportunities for Cassel to spread the ball around the offensive and become much more comfortable as a starting QB.

our chances of beating the Chargers, Colts, Steelers and even the Bills aren't looking very good any more but that doesn't mean that Bruschi and Moss and Welker and Vrabel and Seymour and Thomas and Wilfork and every other active player on the Pats' roster aren't gonna come out and give everything that they got and then some to help Cassel fill in Tom Brady's gigantic shoes and get the whatever wins it takes to get us to the playoffs and hopefully beyond!

There is no comparison.. Tom Brady is the best QB in the last 10 yrs.. Matt Cassel will be a nice story, but he will be a avg Qb at best..

Lets just enjoy this season with what we have, I dont want to get into What can we get for Cassel if we franchise him, does not make sense for a guy that started 1 game and a relief apperence.. 1 Game at a time please...:confused:

So I notice that a lot of people are comparing Brady's first start against the Colts with Cassel's first start against the Jet's; Similar stats and all don't get me wrong I think Cassel has been great so far but...

The difference between Brady and Cassel and Brady vs. any QB for that matter is not how they perform during the course of the game but how they perform when the game is on the line.

Brady became a sure fire hall of famer by constantly coming through in the clutch. Just taking into account last year's games swapping Brady for Cassel:

5# Pat's lose to Giants

Re-watch last years games and tell me how they beat the Colt's, Eagles, Ravens, Giants, or Jags without Brady.

Perhaps in a fantasy or some computer generated world this may happen, but cannot rewrite history based on what you think..taking nothing from TB.. if Cassell was the QB there would be different game plans on both sides of the ball, so cannot compare.. Do I think they would have won all these games? No.. but not sure what would have happened, because it already has..

it blows my mind that someone would start a thread like this.:confused:

Perhaps in a fantasy or some computer generated world this may happen, but cannot rewrite history based on what you think..taking nothing from TB.. if Cassell was the QB there would be different game plans on both sides of the ball, so cannot compare.. Do I think they would have won all these games? No.. but not sure what would have happened, because it already has..

Precisely. This is a team sport and there are always questions of team dynamics. You do not simply plug Matt Cassel's player averages in Madden into Brady's position and replay the game. That works in video games, not in real life.

Is it possible after blowing out all those teams last year the team got a bit complacent, making games closer than they should have been? Might the team have played somewhat more fired up knowing it has to help a rookie QB? You just cannot reasonably answer the questions.

And comparisons to Brady in his MVP season, a top 2 QB in any reasonable NFL fan's opinion, is not fair. He has 7 years of experience and is an NFL legend at this point. But he is not on the active roster this year. Cassel has to do the job, and he has done well in his first two starts. I am hoping he stays healthy and continues to get his job done.

It is nutty to compare Brady 07 to Cassel 08. And I have not seen anyone compare Cassel favorably in that match up.

However, comparing Brady 01 to Cassel 08 has been done. And so far they have come out about even.

5# Pat's lose to Giants

Riddle me this Negative Nancy -

You Tell me HOW A.J. Feely almost beats the greatest team in the History of the NFL?

You tell me how Kyle Boller almost beats the greatest team in the History of the NFL?

You tell me how the Jets stay within a touchdown with Clemmens getting hurt and Chad coming in, in relief?

You tell me how the League leader in INT's and QB fumbles - Looses to the Patriots by three and wins by three in the Last Regular season game and Super Bowl?

That's why they play the games.

There is no comparison.. Tom Brady is the best QB in the last 10 yrs.. Matt Cassel will be a nice story, but he will be a avg Qb at best..

Lets just enjoy this season with what we have, I dont want to get into What can we get for Cassel if we franchise him, does not make sense for a guy that started 1 game and a relief apperence.. 1 Game at a time please...:confused:

Sean, I agree with everything you said here except "but he will be a avg Qb at best.. ". We can't know that yet. He has skills and he has been learning from the best ever, he might turn out to be above avg. One game at a time.

Dream!

FYI - When Tom Brady took over, he took over for the best QB in franchise history.

Omg!!! Do you mean Tom Brady might be better than Matt Cassel? No kidding? I'm shocked beyond belief of the universe. I'm glad someone took the time to type out these comparisons to set me straight or else I might go through this season thinking that Mattie is better than Tom.

If anyone thinks or expects Matt Cassel to ever approach Tom Brady's level of play, then they have issues. To even mention Cassel in the same breath as Brady in an honest comparison is a huge disservice to Brady, who has brought us 3 Super Bowl victories, earned an MVP and set records.

But I haven't seen anyone on this board expecting Cassel to be Brady. We're just hoping he's good enough so that the rest of the team can win us games, so far, we're 2-0 with that formula.

But I haven't seen anyone on this board expecting Cassel to be Brady. We're just hoping he's good enough so that the rest of the team can win us games, so far, we're 2-0 with that formula.

I'm pretty sure he actually had a lot to do with winning those games.

This "protect the ball" and let the rest of the team win the game stuff is garbage. He has to contribute a lot and majority completed passes, clean hand-off's, clock management, play-adjusting and no INT's are all huge. Start adding TD stats and you'll all be screaming about him being a starter for someone next year.

Give the guy some credit, all 45 guys on any given Sunday have to win the games, not everyone except our QB who just needs to not lose. That's rubbish.

Last edited:
If anyone thinks or expects Matt Cassel to ever approach Tom Brady's level of play, then they have issues. To even mention Cassel in the same breath as Brady in an honest comparison is a huge disservice to Brady, who has brought us 3 Super Bowl victories, earned an MVP and set records.

It's pretty easy guys:

Tom Brady is one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. For my money, he's the best I've personally ever seen play the game so he's No.1 for me. He's a sure fire First Ballot Hall of Fame'r and owns 3 Rings and a League MVP. He had the greatest single season for a QB ever in 2007 and dates a super model. I mean, do I need to go on?

Matt Cassel has just started his NFL Career and we are all hoping for (and expecting) the best. Do you think that he can get to Tom's level? Probably not - Do you need to get to Tom's level to be a good/great QB in the NFL.....hell no.

First off let me say that Cassel cannot,was not and will never be even close enough to Brady's career to be good enough to tie his shoelaces

With that said I think its unfair and a bit on the ******ed side to call all of those games with Brady may have been losses with Cassel at the helm

The game plan would have been different and would have been more of a ground game and a different outcome probably not anywhere near what those final scores came to

Do you think the game plan against the Jets and Kansas City would have been anywhere near the game plan with Brady?

Let me tell you this

Without Brady - NE 17 KC 10 - With Brady somewhere around 30-17 (giving KC another TD since KC would have had the ball more often since NE would have been scoring probably through the air slowing the clock down and a longer game)

Without Brady - NE 19 Jets 10 - With Brady somewhere around 31-10 (same reason as above)

I like the research you did. But to me the difference between Brady and pretty much everyone else is the work ethic and desire. Tom has never forgotten that he was pick 199, and knew how important conditioning and practice is to making a team a winner. He leads just as much by example as by his words. That's rare and once in a lifetime for most teams.

As for Matt Cassel, it is a work in progress. There will definitely be some growing pains and when you are going from the best to anyone else you will always have in your mind, Brady would have hit that in his sleep. Defenses will have answers when they figure him out. I hope that Matt spent those years on the bench reading defenses and not looking for Brady's and Leinart's lady friends.

5# Pat's lose to Giants

Nobody is comparing Cassel '08 to Brady '07 except the ninnies who can't grasp the comparison is to Brady '01 and then head off on tangents...

5# Pat's lose to Giants

Basically what you're saying is that Brady managed to pull off the stunt in 2001 with a far less talented team than the current 2008 Patriots.

Brady overall winning % 78 (86 for 110)
Cassel overall winning % 100 (1 for 1)

I am so tired of the "he hasn't played since HS" nonsesne. Cassel enterd ther Kc gmes at 0-0 in the 1stQ and scored all the points neede aghasint teh the Chiefs. That is his Victory as far as I am concerned. The Jets game goes into his column as well.

The only other pro experience was in the Miami game that the Pats had conceeded in effect, as they were down two TDs late in the game.

The Defense produced two turnovers, and Cassel lead them to scores. Belichick went for a two point conversion as time ran out. Just like Shanahan did this past weekend, except that the two point conversion failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back