Welcome to PatsFans.com

brady urging branch to end holdout ?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SVN, Aug 9, 2006.

1. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

2. the taildragger

the taildragger Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Didn't catch SC, but on espn.com they have a stupid recap of Sal Palantonio's annual junket to Foxboro, and Sal's direct quote was that the situation is "BOILING OVER"...and then they cut to 12 (who I almost expected to be throwing chairs or something) sittin' there cool as ever and says something like, "yeah, I asked him to maybe come in and see what happens."

"BOILING OVER!!!!!"

How do they get away with this?....
  3. the taildragger

the taildragger Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

look, I know he's frustrated. As Ms. B said he's throwing to Kelvin Kline (sic)
    Eddie Berlin Troy Brown John Stone Reche Caldwell (aka the star wideout)...

but Tom has the best chemistry with Branch of any receiver he's ever played with...who cares if he misses TC or preseason like he did last year (at least he'll be healthy)...who cares if his agent is threatening to go "well into the season" -- that's what he has to say.

but the situation is NOT going to BOIL OVER. All tom has done is kiss everyone's ass...he is trying desperately to smooth this over. You will never hear him say "we can win without him." NEVER. You won't hear him diss the front office and demand they show Deion the money. NEVER.

ESPN is no better than our beat guys...it's official: holdouts are the most overblown story in sports.
  4. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0

i still would be surprised if he involves himself in someone else's contract situation by asking the player to come over.
  5. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -1

I'm sure Brady is PO'd at both sides in this thing for not working things out. He's probably using whatever influence he can use on both to get this over with. The guy just wants to win and this is interfering with that goal!!
  6. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Don't be surprised to see Branch on the sidelines in street clothes Friday night in Atlanta. Hines Ward pulled the same show last year, holdout for a couple of weeks and then make a grand return in front of a national television audience. An act of good faith to gain public sympathy which will actually put more pressure on the Pats to work out a deal.

Branch and his agent knew they had no leverage in this negotiation, so the only thing they can do is holdout and let that be overhyped for a couple of weeks, thus making his inevitable return more publicized and endearing to the football world. The Pats would take a huge PR hit if they didn't negotiate with him AFTER he returned, so this is essentially why both sides will reach an agreement before Week 1.

This holdout will end soon, don't worry about it.
  7. mcbee

mcbee Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I doubt the Patsies would let him on the plane or on the field.

They are moving on, ditching the malcontent.
  8. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -4

Well it's unknown whether Branch will come in. And it looks more like he is approving of his agent's course of action - holding out, no negotiations. I can see Brady getting anxious but if Branch isn't even willing to listen I think he and his agent dug his own grave as far as the Pats are concerned.

What I found interesting though was the tidbit about the Pats working on the 4-3 with Semour+Wilfork inside and Wright+Warren outside. So I know the Pats employ a two gap scheme... is there any such thing as a 4-3 two gap? Or would that even make sense?
  9. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Finally someone hits the nail on the head.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  10. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yep, those kneejerk emotional Patriots.

Someday everyone will understand that it is a business, BB and Pioli and Kraft run it as a business, and they don't react to things emotionally like fans do. They make cold business decisions.

2 years ago, Ty Law calls BB a liar and does everything possible to shoot his way out of town. Fans screamed trade him!! Cut him!!! They keep him that season and then cut him because it made cap sense. They have since expressed interest in twice resigning him.

Last year, Seymour holds out. Trade him!! Move on without him!! He's done in NE. Now he is locked up long term.

The Pats aren't going to just move on without Branch and ditch him because it is August 9th and he isn't in camp. There is no reason to do it and it makes no sense to do it.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  11. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

BB has explained in the past that his 4-3 uses the same basic two-gap philosophy since that is what he teaches his defense. Speaking from my standard level of ignorance :D, I can see where the two DTs lined up over the Gs have the A & B gaps, the MLB overlaps the A gaps, the DEs have the B & C gaps - overlapping the Bs, and the OLBs overlap the C and have D and edge responsibility. That may not be how they actually line-up, the DL may shift heavy to the TE side for instance and reassign gaps. When you look at the 4-3 line-up described here, you see it's still a gap control line using college DTs as DEs and college DEs as OLBs - the goal is to play your responsibility and let the offense make a mistake, rather then penetrate and disrupt in a Tampa-style offense.
  12. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I can see BB sweating this one out now :D
  13. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Holdout ending?? I don't think so..

I guess you must have an inside pipeline with Branch or Chuyut...you related??? I really would like it to end..but I think this is one that will go on..and unfortunately NOT end well. I HOPE I am wrong.