PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady tops my list of the 5 NFL players who are most important to their teams success

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I cannot envision this team going anywhere without Tom Brady as starting Quarterback and he leads my list of players that MUST be playing for all season if not 99% of it in order for their team to win and be competitive for a championship try.

Football is a team game for sure but there is always a guy that you can say is a 'must play guy' for the team to not fall back into the middle of the pack and is most important for sure.

My list in order of players importance are...

1) Tom Brady QB Patriots - No Brady and no Super Bowl its as plain as that (I know others will disagree but if you think those other 3 backup QBs on this roster can take this team anywhere you are fu(king nuttier than a fruitcake).

2) Peyton Manning QB Colts - For the same exact reason that Tom is needed,Jim Sorge (or whatever his name is,I don't even think Colts fans can spell it)would be eaten alive and the Colts would be nothing.

3) Brian Westbrook RB Eagles - This guy ALWAYS flies under the radar but in Philadelphia the important guy who makes a difference is not Donovan McNabb - Its Westbrook who the team relies on week after week for the team to stay competitive and he almost always seems to deliver in the clutch.

4) Ladanian Tomlinson RB Chargers- While LT has not been much of a force in the playoffs lately, he still is the reason why San Diego is so dangerous,If LT was out for a time with an injury the Chargers no longer have Mike Turner to go to and the pressure would be all on Rivers and a mediocre WR corps in SD - Rivers is a pretty good looking young QB but he cannot do it with everything on his shoulders,not yet in his career.

5) Julius Peppers DL Carolina - The heart and sole of that defense,Take away Peppers and you have a mediocre defense that worries no one,The panthers need him on every down to be a force on the front line,They have no one even close to Julius's ability so he is my #5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHO DO YOU THINK ARE THE 5 MOST IMPORTANT PLAYERS THAT A CERTAIN TEAM CANNOT BE WITHOUT TO WIN CONSISTENTLY?

Last edited:
Re: Brady tops my list of the 5 NFL players who are most important to their teams suc

I have to agree. Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are pretty important to their teams.

Re: Brady tops my list of the 5 NFL players who are most important to their teams suc

Well thats a pretty solid list but its very obvious. Of course we are screwed the most without TB.

maybe we can coax Bledsoe out of retirement. Hes been practicing this off season by throwing footballs backwards over his shoulders, bouncing footballs off his kids heads, and standing still in the middle of traffic until someone finally crashes into him.

Take Peppers off that list for someone like Brees and that is a great list. I agree with your top 4 and you have very good reasoning.

Im going to be a copy cat b/c you nailed it but my top 5 would be: 1) Brady 2) Manning 3) LT 4) Brees 5) Westbrook

Last edited:

Take Peppers off that list for someone like Brees and that is a great list. I agree with your top 4 and you have very good reasoning

I don't know - While Brees is a fantastic QB,I think Mark Brunell who is their backup would do a commendable job - I always liked the accuracy Mark had when he was on his game but he became erratic and lost his job in Washington although I still think Brunell could get the job done with all that talent on offense in N.O. who I think is the NFC version of offense that NE has here in the AFC,Even if Brunell is old like Favre.

I was leaning towards Matt Hasselbeck at #5 but went with Peppers who I like a lot as a player and the domination he shows in many games

Last edited:

I don't know - While Brees is a fantastic QB,I think Mark Brunell who is their backup would do a commendable job - I always liked the accuracy Mark had when he was on his game but he became erratic and lost his job in Washington although I still think Brunell could get the job done with all that talent on offense in N.O. who I think is the NFC version of offense that NE has here in the AFC,Even if Brunell is old like Favre.

I was leaning towards Matt Hasselbeck at #5 but went with Peppers who I like a lot as a player and the domination he shows in many games

Mark Brunell is roughly 80 years old and awful. Peppers shouldn't be anywhere near that list, he hasn't done anything for 2 years. Go ask Panthers fans, and read some of the local press down there. They've been talking about how the Panthers think Peppers might be going along the lines of Kris Jenkins, that they made a mistake in paying him, and they are thinking about moving him at some point. Aside from that, everyone on that list should be a quarterback, pretty much. LdT is very, very good, but so was Michael Turner behind that line. The Chargers could get by if they lost him for the season. Seattle would be totally cooked without Hasselbeck, Jacksonville would be hurting without Garrard, Tennessee would have no offense at all without Vince Young (and what they do have isn't that great), and the Cowboys would be completely boned without Romo. Brady is clearly at the top of the list, though.

If you extended the list to top ten I think one of the first guys after the top 5 should be Randy Moss. While he probably is not a top 5 guy he easily is a top ten guy. I will give you that without Moss the Pats still have a very good D, Brady, and another target in Welker, but Moss adds so much and makes everyone around him so much better. From a gameplan stand point you literally have to always have a safety deep b/c on any play he could burn you. Maybe im confusing importance and pure dominance but IMO Moss transforms a nice Pats offense into a HOF caliber offense.

Last edited:

If you extended the list to top ten I think one of the first guys after the top 5 should be Randy Moss. While he probably is not a top 5 guy he easily is a top ten guy. I will give you that without Moss the Pats still have a very good D, Brady, and another target in Welker, but Moss adds so much and makes everyone around him so much better. From a gameplan stand point you literally have to always have a safety deep b/c on any play he could burn you. Maybe im confusing importance and pure dominance but IMO Moss transforms a nice Pats offense into a HOF caliber offense.

HOF caliber offenses get together in the biggest game of the year and WIN it - Lets just say the offense is an above excellent one,not HOF offense which does not fart in SBs - Hopefully this year IF they can get there they will try to not fart it away again - Sure the stats last year showed were the best ever STATS WISE but I still would put the Niners offense of the 80s as best of all time,despite getting mauled in the stats catagory vs last years Pats,The Niners WON the big game.

HOF offenses are left for Super Bowl champions - You gotta get it done for that kind of honor IMO

SD and Fouts had a HOF type offense in the 90s but never got to the SB so it was null and void,They were great too but you gotta put em all away and your defense has to respond just as well.

If the Bears did not win the Super Bowl in 1996 are we talking about them today as being one of the greatest defenses of all time? - People forget stats and great years on D or O when the ultimate prize is not won

Last edited:

I like the list, top 4. But I think Adrian Peterson of the Vikings should be #5. The Vikes are getting all kinds of love this season and its not because of the QB play. It has everything to do with Peterson and his potential of being a potent running back this season. Take him off the team and they are an NFC North Bottom feeder. Sure their Run D is pretty good but without the ball control running attack, Tavaris Jackson isn't going to sniff the playoffs.

I think Brady accounts for 6-8 wins by himself. These guys won 16 last year with him at the helm. Im not sure we're an 8 win team led by Cassell or the other options.

Last edited:

Here's a name that makes my list. Orlando Pace. Last year the Rams were hyped up as a possible dark horse contender. Pace went down and they were the second worst team in the league. Marc Bulger and Steven Jackson looked like JAGs at best without him.

I think Brady accounts for 6-8 wins by himself. These guys won 16 last year with him at the helm. Im not sure we're an 8 win team led by Cassell or the other options.

Seriously for what I have seen from our other 3 JAG QBs I would say this team would not win 6 games without Brady at the helm - Those other QBs are pathetic at best although you have to give the kid O'Connell some time and another year or three - Cassel and Gutierrez were horrid against 3rd stringers,Do you really think they would be better against top caliber starting defensive fronts?

Last edited:

HOF caliber offenses get together in the biggest game of the year and WIN it - Lets just say the offense is an above excellent one,not HOF offense which does not fart in SBs - Hopefully this year IF they can get there they will try to not fart it away again - Sure the stats last year showed were the best ever STATS WISE but I still would put the Niners offense of the 80s as best of all time,despite getting mauled in the stats catagory vs last years Pats,The Niners WON the big game.

HOF offenses are left for Super Bowl champions - You gotta get it done for that kind of honor IMO

SD and Fouts had a HOF type offense in the 90s but never got to the SB so it was null and void,They were great too but you gotta put em all away and your defense has to respond just as well.

If the Bears did not win the Super Bowl in 1996 are we talking about them today as being one of the greatest defenses of all time? - People forget stats and great years on D or O when the ultimate prize is not won

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree.

Great, "hall of fame" offenses don't win a damn if they don't have a good, complimentary defense.

What you're saying is that, say, for instance, had Samuel nabbed that interception, the Patriots' offense of 2007 would be "Hall of Fame" instead of "above excellent"?

I don't see it.

Back on topic...

I agree with whoever it was who said no one but quarterbacks should be on that list.

Running backs are replaceable and are incredibly dependent on five other players executing in order to do well. There is no debating the importance of a quarterback compared to a running back. Good quarterbacks improve everyone on an offense.

Brady, P. Manning, Brees, Roethlisberger, Hasselbeck

I never would have dreamt of including Roethlisberger on any sort of list like this last year, but his mobility and strength help him incredibly with a terrible offensive line. Without him that offense would be terrible.

Seriously for what I have seen from our other 3 JAG QBs I would say this team would not win 6 games without Brady at the helm - Those other QBs are pathetic at best although you have to give the kid O'Connell some time and another year or three - Cassel and Gutierrez were horrid against 3rd stringers,Do you really think they would be better against top caliber starting defensive fronts?

You don't think Cassel would be "protected" to some degree? Matt Light's return to the offensive line and an actual gameplan would allow Cassel to do enough with the incredible depth of skill position players on this team to take advantage of a defense that will probably allow no more than 17 points per game.

This team isn't as deep or as talented as we all believe if the loss of Brady equates to six wins.

They wouldn't win the Super Bowl, but 9-11 wins and a division title would still be very real possibilities, in my opinion.

Basically, I wholeheartedly agree. The only silver lining to the Brady-less scenario, at least for the '08 season, is that our schedule is going to be relatively soft. Tampa and Baltimore, our 2 preseason opponents to this point, were ranked 2nd and 6th in total D in '07. We're only going to face one defense this year in the regular season that was ranked in the top 10 last year - Indy. Id hope that our backups may be able to manage possibly 7 or 8 wins against the league's easiest schedule. But I wouldnt want to venture a wager on it.

I would add Roethlisberger to that list before Brees.

1) Brady
2) Manning
3) LT
4) Romo (Yes, Tony Romo)
5) AP

Take those guys off their respective teams and they're in trouble. Yes I realize the Cowboys host a team of 12 other Pro Bowlers but they're simply not the same NFC Powerhouse team without Tony Romo.

Guy had 36 TDs / 4,211 passing yards last year and is 19-7 in the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes