Welcome to PatsFans.com

Brady to Patriots: Signing No. 1 wideout critical

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mcsully, Aug 1, 2006.

1. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

2. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

3. Kdo5

Kdo5 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -3

Would he really come out and single out Deion as THE most important player on our offense? He usually praises the offensive line, he did praise Dillon, why would he just come out and say Branch is the most important part. When obviously Brady is the most important part...:confused:
  4. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

While I think Branch is asking for the Pats to bend too much, I think this is why Brady is liked so much by his teamates. He's a leader on the field but also stands up for his fellow players. Ater cutting Milloy and still winning the SB I'm not that worried that this will be a devisive issue for the team though.
  5. 14thDragon

14thDragon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wow, at least we got some more numbers on the contract offers. Anyone else notice that the FO seems to have decided they are tired of funny money deals? With Brady, Seymour and Branch they have done deals where the player can pretty much gaurentee they will get the whole of the contract money and still have room for another contract at the end of this one.

But what exactly is the thinking of the agent here? Not even sending a counter offer? That is not even negotiation, that is just insanity. If he is looking for something specific, then send it to the club then work your way from there, But to keep insisiting on a promise of not getting the tag? Just plain stupid.
  6. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +496 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

A counter-productive thing for Brady to say, even though I'm sure he meant well. This sort of thing just gives Branch's agent more fuel to throw on the fire.
  7. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I just finished reading that article and I think Silver liberally interprets some of Brady's comments and assumes to much in the article. Just my opinion.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  8. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 6 / -0

That's a pretty amazing article, completely out of keeping with everything else I've seen reported. I wonder how they got those quotes, and whether they were really taken in context...

Nonetheless, it's a good reminder to the contingent here that always wants to show a player the door the instant he starts a contract dispute. (Remember all the "trade Seymour" threads last year?) At the end of the day talent matters, and Branch is the best WR this team has had in quite a few years. If you think receivers are easy to come by, take a moment to reflect back on the 2nd-round pick spent on Bethel Johnson.
  9. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm sure both Branch and all the other players in the locker room will appreciate Tom's comments. They are in stark contrast to Brett Favre who by many accounts lost the Packers locker room by taking the opposite stance on Javon Walker last summer.

That is really all you can take from this.

It will have zero impact on whether or not Branch gets a new deal or not. The Pats simply don't make emotional decisions about business issues and Brady's desire to have them lock up Deion will mean nothing to them.
  10. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

dhamz:

My thoughts exactly. Brady knows how to tow the company line, but at the same time, be a good teammate when he needs to.

Brady was in this position himself a couple years ago, with his contract negotiations dragging out for a long time.
  11. Drewwho

Drewwho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Brady needs to keep his mouth shut and play football. This is NOT leadership.
  12. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

They can throw fuel, but there's no fire. Pats front office not burning :D
  13. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

Good point but I like the fact he is look at it from a different angle..
    To me the Boston Media really is crap. They always seem to give their opinion and not base their articles on facts.. I could careless about what they think, give me the facts and let me, as the reader, decide..
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2005
  14. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Don't get me wrong it was an interesting take and a good read, I just noticed the trend of him assuming he knew what Brady was thinking.
  15. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 6 / -0

What I want to know is where did those Brady quotes come from??? Opinion, fact, bias, whatever...if ANY local writer heard Tom Brady say "Deion is the most important player on our offense" during a holdout he'd run with it.
  16. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

I don't think other players are interpreting this as Brady sticking up for them against management. Football is a zero-sum game. If one player is getting paid, he's taking it from others. It's just as more likely that the Patriots players would rather Branch be paid fairly than be paid too much. If he's paid too much, he's taking money out of their pockets. Do you think all the people in the Colts locker room were cheering when Manning and Reggie Wayne signed their big contracts? I don't.
  17. kptmorgan04

kptmorgan04 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I dont agree that the Pats Front Office doenst listen to or care about what brady has to say.... as business orinented as the Pats are Brady is the franschise and I dont think they are underesimating what Branches presence or lack there of will have on the team. I am also curious how Silver got these quotes and inside info when no one from the boston media has this same info... but at the end of my thought I am left feeling ok because of this brady quote"
    "I have a lot of confidence that this is going to get worked out, I really do. But I'm glad we're not playing a game this week."
  18. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Huh? What is he supposed to do alienate a guy who in all likelyhood will be his number 1 wideout opening day as well as his teamates? I think his approach has been very consistent and appropriate throughout this entire ordeal. He hasn't thrown himself into demanding publicly that they sign the player and he hasn't criticized his teamate or the organization.

So if that isn't leadership, then what is?
  19. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I happen to agree with Brady that Branch is a #1 and will prove it over the next 5 years. I do not blame Branch for holding out, and applaud Brady for sticking up for him. Maybe Brady will renegotiate to meet the difference between the two sides. That would be real leadership.
  20. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Obviously Silver got a one on one interview with Brady - likely set up by Brady specifically to talk about Branch.