PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady to have hernia surgery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a sports hernia is the thing where a little bit of your guts come through the abdominal wall, I don't see why this is Silver Star material. It doesn't hurt, and doesn't limit mobility. I suppose if it were exposed and you take a direct hit, you could suffer serious injury, but i'm sure the training staff had that contingency covered. THIS is not the proof of Tom's toughness; the proof is the way he stands tall in the pocket.

Last edited:
Many sports related hernias are caused by excessive weight lifting. Brady's steady improvement in play and durability over the years have been brought about to a great degree by his incredible commitment to conditioning and strength training. Will this surgery and having to "go easy" on his workout regimen impact his durability and continued improvement into next year (given his high prior standards)?

He won't be able to lift heavy weights for 2 months. So he should still have a couple of months to bulk up in time for camp.

If I recall correctly Brady was on the injured list for most of the last couple of years. Belichick probably took him off the list WHEN he got injured. Just his little way of "sticking it to the man". :)

flutie2phelan said:
Remember all those QB sneaks for first downs ... that he called himself? (And the one against Denver II that he didn't?)

But i'm surprised that word of forthcoming surgery emerges ... before he has even recovered from it!

I didn't see that many Patriots games this year because I live on the West Coast, but, Brady seemed to come off the field more often looking down when a drive failed and they had to punt. Might have been partially due to the injury.

spacecrime said:
McNabb played with his for weeks, until he was hurt again trying to make a tackle. He didn't go on IR until the Eagle's season was in the tank.

Not that I am a McNabb fan, but it is wrong to imply he doesn't play hurt. He once played significant game time with a broken ankle once.

Not that I'm a McNabb hater, but he played with his sports hernia poorly for weeks. He didn't go on IR until he (and his coach who had no remotely credible backup on the roster because he lets Donovan play the franchise card) put the Eagles season irretrievably in the tank. Although Donovan said yesterday that injuries played little part in the Eagles season - it was all TO's fault for tearing apart the clubhouse. I don't imagine he considers that his fault either although signing TO in the first place was something he talked his management into claiming he could manage him. About as well as he manages to play with pain or "discomfort" I guess. ;)

Indy's LB Cato June played half a season with one. Yeesh. :eek:

Some guys are just really tougher than others mentally as well as physically. They are the ones that not only play hurt they play well hurt. Those who play poorly hurt yet continue to play are just selfish and in this physical a sport far less useful. Those who can't or won't play at all if anything hurts are just plain useless.

letekro said:
If a sports hernia is the thing where a little bit of your guts come through the abdominal wall, I don't see why this is Silver Star material. It doesn't hurt, and doesn't limit mobility. I suppose if it were exposed and you take a direct hit, you could suffer serious injury, but i'm sure the training staff had that contingency covered. THIS is not the proof of Tom's toughness; the proof is the way he stands tall in the pocket.

I posted what a sports hernia was a couple of days from a medical information site. Another poster did the same from a different medical information site.

You may want to go back and find that, read it, and then retract your statement. It is painful. It does restrict movement.:eek:

My brother-in-law had what was called a tier 1 sports hernia - mild compared to a tear in abdominal wall. He was in pain constantly. Yeah, he walked OK, he drove OK, but he said even the smallest of tasks that required any form of stretching or bending made him nauseated and even dizzy.

He eventually required surgery because this injury gets worse not better - even with treatment..which is basically lots of rest. It can heal, but once you revert back to any type of activity that bothered you prior, it will flare up again and the pain is apparently pretty excruciating.

He is a huge Pats fan and I am sure he would be amazed that Brady played even ONE game with this type of injury let alone half of the season - not to mention with TWO rookies protecting his blind side.

Call me impressed!

Last edited:
letekro said:

I have had sports hernia, it hurts a lot, i cant imagine having to take the hits he must have taken with that injury...

I stand corrected

letekro said:
I stand corrected

It takes a big man to admit that he was not actually totally correct, maybe.:singing:

It is comfurting to hear that he played with the injury, yet at the same time disapointing. To think that a injury to the best QB in the leauge prevented them the opertunity to play for the SB at home kind of really gives me the bummer.

A healthy Tom and the Pats are in the SB....

spacecrime said:
McNabb played with his for weeks, until he was hurt again trying to make a tackle. He didn't go on IR until the Eagle's season was in the tank.

Not that I am a McNabb fan, but it is wrong to imply he doesn't play hurt. He once played significant game time with a broken ankle once.

sure he played a few games, but nobody (including himself) shut up about it either. i didnt imply anything, you inferred. McNabb is a whiner and uses the media to whine.

Digger44 said:
sure he played a few games, but nobody (including himself) shut up about it either. i didnt imply anything, you inferred. McNabb is a whiner and uses the media to whine.

I agree, I remember watching an Eagles game at some point and thinking, "the next time I hear the words 'Sports Hernia', I'm going to break the TV". I don't know about Mcnabb being a whiner (I actually feel pretty sorry for him with the whole Owens thing), but his injury was flash in the pan at its finest. And it's not like he played spectacularily during it anyway.

re:

Not only did he play through it, but he didn't mention it at all to the media during the entire season, use it as a crutch or excuse, and didn't let it stop his preparation and will to win.

To me, that is just as amazing as playing through the injury.

maverick4 said:
Not only did he play through it, but he didn't mention it at all to the media during the entire season, use it as a crutch or excuse, and didn't let it stop his preparation and will to win.

To me, that is just as amazing as playing through the injury.

Don't forget how much the man got smacked around this year. I can't really imagine what THAT felt like. Think of it, one of Brady's great strengths is the ability to calmly fire an accurate, measured pass despite having linebackers bearing down on him about to kill him. With an injury like this, how does ANYBODY do that? It's amazing.

The other funny thing about this is Brady's complete backing of his OL despite all that. Compare that to Captain Heimlich turning his back on his line just cause they couldn't make it so that he had his usual 10 minutes to throw every pass.

Last edited:
I have to believe that every time you throw, it has to hurt. you don't just throw with your arm, it's legs, body, the whole enchilada....especially when you are not able to really step into a throw and use your legs.

As Bledsoe famously said, "12, you are The Man."

Any idea what kind of recovery time is involved and whether he would be more susceptible to this again (vs somebody that never had one)?

A hernia repair is a very minor operation. He'll probably be up and walking around within 24 hours and totally healed within 10 days. Furthermore, the repair will make the area stronger than it was pre-hernia. This is not to minimize the discomfort Brady must frequently have been in during the season. It's usually not debilitating, but it can be annoying and distracting. It has to affect focus and, to some degree, movement. The long and short of it: he deserves great credit for the way he performed this year and next year he'll be just fine.

Has anyone reported if he has a sports hernia or a regular hernia? Have the Pats released anything on this?

Hernia's hurt (alot), but they're a very common injury, and the surgical procedure is simple. He should be fine. The amazing thing is he played half the season with it. McNabb had the same injury and imploded, destroying the Eagles' season. Brady played out of his mind and had a career year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back