PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady, the OL and the OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I don't :( I tried to find some, but haven't been able to. Who wants to go back and watch all the games with a stopwatch! ?? :p

I agree, I've always thought Neal was solid as a rock and we've never seem as sharp when he goes down. Although I make no claim to being able to analyze OL play, so I'll wait for the resident experts around here to chime in.

If the QB gets 3 seconds and is allowed a move in the pocket, the O line did it's job. Most of the "pressure" this year was more of a reflection of less TB presence and fluidity in the pocket.

It should shock nobody on this board since it's standard for returning from an ACL. TB actually had a better year in 2009 than goober in 2008 in his "MVP" season.

The third receiver question is two sided. How much actual work was done with the other guys vs rehab and Galloway? I'm not sure but from what I have seen from Edelman and Tate, a full season of off year work should do wonders.

This will be the key year. A full offseason with 3 wr's and possibly more.

We also have to face the fact that TB may not make it fully back.

He's already 'back'. He was the #1 QB in the NFL in 2009.

I mean "Tom Brady" back not standard NFL QB back. If we had 2002-2007 TB, this team would have been 15-1 or 14-2.

The one thing I have come away this year is how great of a QB he has fully been.

Brady may not extend if he can't get a promise of upgrades at WR, the OL and in schemes. His body likely won't last past another year with what we have now, so what is the point of extending, other than to collect a higher 2010 paycheck? Brady has his turn at leverage now.

Gee mg ... your speculation machine is in full gear. You start the thread with opinion - add specualtion and kind of finish it off like it's fact. Kind of misleading if you ask me ... just saying :confused3:

He's already 'back'. He was the #1 QB in the NFL in 2009.

I wouldn't go that far. He looked really shaky in his first few games and then turned it around a bit but I think he still needs more time before he's back to his old self.

There's a lot of subtleties to his position that we as casual observers can't pick up and make sound analysis on. The numbers looked good, no doubt, but all season long it seemed like he lacked that legendary precision that defined his play.

If the QB gets 3 seconds and is allowed a move in the pocket, the O line did it's job. Most of the "pressure" this year was more of a reflection of less TB presence and fluidity in the pocket.

It should shock nobody on this board since it's standard for returning from an ACL. TB actually had a better year in 2009 than goober in 2008 in his "MVP" season.

The third receiver question is two sided. How much actual work was done with the other guys vs rehab and Galloway? I'm not sure but from what I have seen from Edelman and Tate, a full season of off year work should do wonders.

This will be the key year. A full offseason with 3 wr's and possibly more.

We also have to face the fact that TB may not make it fully back.

That's true but the guy never made his money on his athleticism. As long as his arm doesn't fall off, he can make reads, and walk he is going to be a top QB.

Now, stuff like pocket presence and awareness aren't really functions of your legs but of your brain. I won't deny that he looked a lot slower running but how much could that effect him taking a step up in the pocket? My guess is minimally.

:) it is long time until free agency begins. It is the time for speculation.

Gee mg ... your speculation machine is in full gear. You start the thread with opinion - add specualtion and kind of finish it off like it's fact. Kind of misleading if you ask me ... just saying :confused3:

That's true but the guy never made his money on his athleticism. As long as his arm doesn't fall off, he can make reads, and walk he is going to be a top QB.

Now, stuff like pocket presence and awareness aren't really functions of your legs but of your brain. I won't deny that he looked a lot slower running but how much could that effect him taking a step up in the pocket? My guess is minimally.

The mental barrier that was, pretty clearly, still there because of injury severely inhibited is pocket presence this season. Especially in situations where the pass rush was constantly getting close. Add to that the injuries on the O-Line (which then required the tight ends to help out in blocking instead of having them run routes) and having to rely on Sam Aiken as a third "threat", and you have a recipe for disaster.

The mental barrier that was, pretty clearly, still there because of injury severely inhibited is pocket presence this season. Especially in situations where the pass rush was constantly getting close. Add to that the injuries on the O-Line (which then required the tight ends to help out in blocking instead of having them run routes) and having to rely on Sam Aiken as a third "threat", and you have a recipe for disaster.

"disaster" did not occur until Welker got hurt.

Brady may not extend if he can't get a promise of upgrades at WR, the OL and in schemes. His body likely won't last past another year with what we have now, so what is the point of extending, other than to collect a higher 2010 paycheck? Brady has his turn at leverage now.

Right, he should hold out this year, and ask to get traded so he can go to one of those many other franchises that have better coaching a better OL that the one that got him sacked only 16 times, better WRs that Moss and Welker and better coaching. Oh wait, there arent any.

We have Bill Belichick, people whine about coaching, we have Moss and Welker, who caught more passes per game than any player in NFL history, and people complain about WRs, Brady gets sacked ONCE A GAME, and he should consider retirement because he won't last with that kind of blocking. How about the 28 NFL QBs who got sacked more than him.

I can't imagine Brady not retiring from the Pats.

Nope. We have just Moss for now. Welker won't be back until late next season or possibly until the following one.

Are you his doctor? I would love to know how you obtained such information.

I remember after the infections that Brady had after his surgery, the entire realm of sports journalism was saying there was no way he would be ready by the opener and he faced a very real chance of not playing at all in 2009. Then he showed up and was a full participant in mini-camp in July. Estimating the recovery time and return is useless unless you have his medical information and are trained to understand it.

I remember after the infections that Brady had after his surgery, the entire realm of sports journalism was saying there was no way he would be ready by the opener and he faced a very real chance of not playing at all in 2009. Then he showed up and was a full participant in mini-camp in July. Estimating the recovery time and return is useless unless you have his medical information and are trained to understand it.

Well, in that case, thank goodness this is just a message board and people can use general data to make estimates, huh?

By the way, could you point out "the entire realm of sports journalism" to us, because I, for one, remember that differently than you're describing it. I remember most of the media expecting him back, and one member in particular looking foolish for his claims to the contrary.

1).15 weeks earlier in the year
2). QB that barely moves in the pocket vs a WR that cuts like a ferrari on a constant basis.

Timetable and demand on the knee are completely different, so I'm guessing that if he plays 1/3 of the year even decently I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Nope. We have just Moss for now. Welker won't be back until late next season or possibly until the following one.
You don't know that.,

You don't know that.,

What day of the year do you expect Belichick will circle as being the planned day of Welker's return? Do you expect him to plan his activities this offseason as if Welker will be starting game 1, 2, 3..... which game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes