PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady texted support to Stallworth after accident; more details from MMQB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe in Legal-ese it is. But that's just it. It's legal-ese. The reality is that Stallworth made the decision to drive home while drunk, showing a clear indifference to the populace at large. He ended up killing someone because of it. That's murder in my book.

you can't say that with ANY certainty and furthermore, the very fact he was drunk suggests he was unaware of the populace at large as well as proper driving skills. A hundred years ago, you could use your book's position to organize a lynching and hang the offender from an oak tree in the town square and then go home content in YOUR righteousness that justice had been done. You would be a MURDERER in fact.

It's 2010...drunk driving death resulting is NOT murder....until legislation makes it so, your position is legally flawed.It is law that separates us from the chaos of the mob mentality. I in no way condone what Stallworth did He was charged and prosecuted by the law, found guilty and punished by LEGAL STATUTE. That has to satisfy whatever feelings I may hold toward him. I have no reason to castigate Tom Brady for his reaching out to St6allworth. That's his RIGHT in a free country.

Same here. THe guy who said the fact that drinking and killing someone shows lack of caring...No, killing someone did not show lack of caring. Drinking and driving showed lack of caring. So where is the outrage against have a couple beers and getting into a car and driving?

It just isn't there. What the self-righteous are goning postal over is basically having the bad luck to hit someone. it could happen to anyone who was drinking and driving.

So, in your eyes, it's ok for someone to drink and drive as long as they don't have the "bad luck" of hitting someone.

Sorry, but that is horsesh!t. It's not different than an idiot shooting a gun up into the air. That bullet DOES come down. And there are cases of people being killed like that. It shows a complete lack of caring for the people around you. It says that you think you are more important than them and your rights are more important than theirs. Which isn't the case at all.

Anyone who has ever had a drink and gotten behind the wheel, and that includes me, has no business criticizing Stallworth. That is beyond self-righteous. That is called being a hypocrit, because but for the Grace of God, you could have killed someone. You are lucky, that is all. Your bad judgement is the same as Stallworth's.

We agree. But it still shows an arrogance and a lack of caring about other people. Yes, it's altruistic on my part, but I am probably one of the few who has made it a point NOT to drink and drive. And yes, I have given my keys to others. I've crashed on people's couches. I've taken the taxi home. Hell, I walked across Boston at 2 am, leaving my car outside the Harp to get back to the dorms..

There is no reason, in this day and age, to drink and drive unless you just don't give a sh!t about the people around you.

you can't say that with ANY certainty and furthermore, the very fact he was drunk suggests he was unaware of the populace at large as well as proper driving skills. A hundred years ago, you could use your book's position to organize a lynching and hang the offender from an oak tree in the town square and then go home content in YOUR righteousness that justice had been done. You would be a MURDERER in fact.

It's 2010...drunk driving death resulting is NOT murder....until legislation makes it so, your position is legally flawed.It is law that separates us from the chaos of the mob mentality. I in no way condone what Stallworth did He was charged and prosecuted by the law, found guilty and punished by LEGAL STATUTE. That has to satisfy whatever feelings I may hold toward him. I have no reason to castigate Tom Brady for his reaching out to St6allworth. That's his RIGHT in a free country.

Sorry, but it is MURDER. As I said, only BS legal-ese makes it otherwise. There are plenty of UNJUST laws in this country. If all the laws were just, then we wouldn't have companies like McDonald's and Dunkin Donuts being held responsible for idiots driving in their cars with coffee between their legs and having that coffee spill on them when the cups were crushed. RV manufacturers wouldn't lose millions because some idiot woman puts her RV on cruise control and then gets up and goes in the back to make herself a sandwich.

BTW, what book are you referring to? Because I wasn't referring to ANY book.

And I wasn't castigating Brady. It's amazing how people just put up BS that is unsupported.

Brady didn't have to say anything specifically; his support of his murderous friend spoke the words for him.
Like what? That Brady is a man that can see the difference between supporting a person and supporting a wrong that was done?

Like what? That Brady is a man that can see the difference between supporting a person and supporting a wrong that was done?
A wrong that just so happened to take the life of a human being ..........

Brady supported his friend who murdered someone. I wish he had not done so.

So, in your eyes, it's ok for someone to drink and drive as long as they don't have the "bad luck" of hitting someone.
The idea that the only two possibilities are the extremes of "completely acceptable behavior" and "murder" is ludicrous.

Put it this way. I view a vehicle, in the hands of a drunk, to be a very dangerous a potentially lethal weapon. If someone knowingly takes to the wheel of said vehicle while drunk then they do so with as much intent to injure as does someone who shoots off a gun in a mall full of innocent people.

You clearly don't understand what constitutes 'intent' in a legal sense. You just described manslaughter. And if you consider it to be an insignificant difference, then it's a very good thing that people like you don't write law.

Last edited:
BTW, what book are you referring to? Because I wasn't referring to ANY book.

And I wasn't castigating Brady. It's amazing how people just put up BS that is unsupported.

you posted "in my book" in your previous screed.

and if you read the previous posts you'll see that the argument that Brady is wrong to contact Stallworth is a contentious point.That's my reaction,Brady isn't doing anything "wrong". Hope that helps. BTW I respect your opinion about the current statutory law,but it's all we have and I have to respect that.

Brady really seems to be a genuinely good person. It's easy to be supportive of someone when all is right in their lives. You find out a person's character when they are empathetic and supportive of someone in need. Glad that Brady has the perspective and maturity to see the grey and differenciate mistakes from character.

Last edited:
If Stallworth had been obeying the law he would not have been driving while legally intoxicated. This means that accident never would have happened. It doesn't matter whether his condition physically caused the accident. He never should have been on the road. If you drink, don't drive. The laws are stacked against you.

Our company just had a training session with a prominent ex NH state tropper. The session was for "driver vehicle instection reports" regarding commercial motor vehicles. Including classroom instruction and actual vehicle inspections it was 10 hours long. During the classroom portion the instructor showed a video about a particular accident. Two elderly ladies pulled out in front of a town dumptruck. The driver had no time to react and the 40 mph impact killed both ladies. Because the driver had not performed a vehicle inspection and the vehicle was found to have enough violations to have been taken out of service, the truck driver and town was found liable because the truck never should have been on the road. The accident never should have happened. The public hates truckers, but not as much as they hate drunk drivers. Don't drink and drive at all. Nothing good can ever come of it. The risk far outweighs the reward.

Dear Bobs My Uncle,

Even though I think your attitude about Brady sending a text message of support is ridiculous, I still think you're a good person.

Patjew

Obvoiusly you have no idea what you are talking about...

Drunk Driving can CERTAINLY,POSITIVELY,ABSOLUTELY,DEFINATELY RESULT IN MURDER CHARGES...FIRST OR SECOND DEGREE MURDER ...Know your laws...of course there is others such as vehicular manslaughter ect: but please stop talking out of your butt,depending on State,situation it CAN result in murder charges...

Read just one of many sites on this....http://www.dui1.com/Dui_Lawyers_Driving8.htm

Last edited:
But you weren't drinking and you slowed down. Who knows, maybe that saved the little girls life. Maybe if Stallworth isn't impaired he actually slows down enough where the man is hit enough only to break his nose and get a few stitches. Know one can know. But the facts are that he was under the influence when he got in his car (and illegal act) and now a man is dead.

You completely missed the point here. The point was that, alcohol or not, that accident was still going to happen. Only, without alcohol involved, it was just an unfortunate circumstance where a little girl's father was a deadbeat scumbag with zero supervision skills and the little girl got to go to the hospital. With alcohol, I'm suddenly the scumbag who made a terrible decision and should be made to pay dearly for it by serving some longterm jailtime, no matter how coherent I am, how many millions I give to the family of the person that shouldn't have been running on the highway in the first place, how much I cooperate with the authorities, and how much remorse I show.

I might have been rooting for him too, but based on Peter King's story he is still lying about it - this means he hasn't learned enough about what happened.

I suggest you either elaborate on this or follow your own advice toward me earlier in the thread...

You can't know this. No one can. Stallworth might have blown .262 and the guy might not have died. Butterfly's wings and all. Doesn't discount the fact that driving under the influence is as dangerous as carrying a loaded weapon in the waistband of your sweatpants (maybe more dangerous). That alone means it should never be considered a "tragic accident" and more of a criminal act.

...and don't continue to speculate upon things that "nobody can know". By the way, read letekro's post. I too have driven through that highway, and running across it at night is a good way to get yourself killed.

Someone appears to have something personal against drunk drivers.
DUI killings are reprehensible, obviously, but from the facts I've heard, there was no malicious intent. It was an accidental killing. And I see nothing wrong in what Brady did, sending a supporting message to a former teammate in a very tough situation. Stallworth has to live with what he did and I hope this motivates him to reform himself and take responsibility for the consequences of his actions.

You clearly don't understand what constitutes 'intent' in a legal sense. You just described manslaughter. And if you consider it to be an insignificant difference, then it's a very good thing that people like you don't write law.
I suspect that if you perform due diligence on this matter you will find that I am correct and that you are wrong.

As such, I'm quite pleased that people of my mindset do set the laws that protect people from drunken murderers. I just wish it had been the case 17 years ago when someone I knew wasn't afforded such legal protection.

Someone appears to have something personal against drunk drivers.
DUI killings are reprehensible, obviously, but from the facts I've heard, there was no malicious intent. It was an accidental killing. And I see nothing wrong in what Brady did, sending a supporting message to a former teammate in a very tough situation. Stallworth has to live with what he did and I hope this motivates him to reform himself and take responsibility for the consequences of his actions.
Ummm, why would Stallworth need reforming if what he did was, according to you, an accident? :rolleyes:

Dude. No offense, but you are totally way off here. First of all, it was just after 7am when Stallworth hit the guy. Stallworth blew a .126 at the time. That's a bit more than "a couple of drinks at dinner".

You're looking at about 4 drinks. At Stallworth's weight, that wasn't going to cause his speech to slur. It probably impacted his reaction time but, again, on a highway like 395 at night, that accident was going to happen no matter what.

Also, for me, 2 glasses of wine wouldn't put me anywhere near .08.

Two beers certainly would put you in the ballpark of a .08.

And, even if I DID drink, I'd wait at least an hour and have 4 glasses of water besides before even thinking about getting in the car.

Even then, you're still driving over the limit. A glass of water isn't going to do anything to kill your BAC. Only time can do that and, unfortunately, waiting an hour only gets rid of one beer. In your case, I absolutely hope that you are never in Stallworth's position, for your sake and the sake of the person you would hit. However, if you are, I would fully expect you to come out to the local media and tell them how much you deserve the maximum punishment for your "unspeakable crime".

Stallworth was facing 15 years in jail. Instead he got 30 days, 2 years "house arrest", and 8 years probation. As I said, a slap on the wrist.

This is because he reported it immediately, cooperated fully with the authorities, and took care of the victim's family so that they have a great opportunity to live the rest of their lives in relative financial comfort. What he got was fine by me.

And I do want to take this opportunity to say that what Brady did was the epitome of classy. It's too bad that some so calle "Pats fans" have to tear him down for it.

I think for the most part drunk drivers who kill should be charged with Vehicular Manslaughter and serve time according to the State's laws in which the crime occured...but some of us 'Lawyers' in here say that you cannot be charged with murder....thats pure stupidity and a false statement.

Last edited:
And I do want to take this opportunity to say that what Brady did was the epitome of classy. It's too bad that some so calle "Pats fans" have to tear him down for it.
So, because you disagree with what Brady did your Pats fandom is questioned? Geez, tough crowd :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm not picking on Brady. I would take the same stance with anyone who murdered someone with their vehicle while drunk.

I suspect that if you perform due diligence on this matter you will find that I am correct and that you are wrong.

Really? Then why wasn't Stallworth charged with murder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back