PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady texted support to Stallworth after accident; more details from MMQB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait..........Stallworth had time to flash his higbeams AND honk his horn, but couldn't stop or slow down his car?

I don't think the guy was standing still in the middle of the road the whole time. From what I've read, the guy was hoping the barrier and walking across the road when Dante flashed and hit the horn, the guy still kept on walking. Then I assume he hit the brake when he realized there would be a collision.

did you ever lose a loved one to a drunk-driving incident?

I lost a good friend in 1992 who was 22 at the time...she actually killed herself driving a car 80 MPH and crashing head on into a high median in the road while being intoxicated to the max and probably full of drugs too,died in the life flight helicopter.

I didn't know this happened until I watched my local noon news and saw the picture of her car upside down and crushed and them mentioning her name....It was one of my most saddest and shocking moments I can remember.

Thanks heavens she took no one with her nor did she hit any other vehicle since it was 3am

I lost a good friend in 1992 who was 22 at the time...she actually killed herself driving a car 80 MPH and crashing head on into a high median in the road while being intoxicated to the max and probably full of drugs too,died in the life flight helicopter.

I didn't know this happened until I watched my local noon news and saw the picture of her car upside down and crushed and them mentioning her name....It was one of my most saddest and shocking moments I can remember.

Thanks heavens she took no one with her nor did she hit any other vehicle since it was 3am

I have seen it happen from both sides ....... ugly in both instances, but seeing someone you know be the perpetrator, and knowing the person, it really makes you look in the mirror

Too bad that Brady couldn't convince Bill to take a 2nd chance on Stallworth, here. He would've been automatically WR #2 when Edelman moves into the slot. Stallworth No, but the older, smaller, slower, just as rusty Patten Yes? I don't get it.

You can't know this. No one can. Stallworth might have blown .262 and the guy might not have died. Butterfly's wings and all. Doesn't discount the fact that driving under the influence is as dangerous as carrying a loaded weapon in the waistband of your sweatpants (maybe more dangerous). That alone means it should never be considered a "tragic accident" and more of a criminal act.

But this has all been covered ad nauseam here and other places. There are some who believe as I do and some who believe that drinking and driving is no big deal, minds will never be changed unless something major happens to that person. I just hope I never "run into" any of the other camp when I am driving.

When I was 19, I was driving back home from work during the day going down a two lane road. On the other side of the road was a mom, a dad, and a little 7 year old girl who had just got off the school bus. The girl turned and ran toward the middle of the road. I hit my brakes and slowed down. Her dad called her and she turned around to look at him and started walking back toward him. Thinking it was okay, I proceeded to go again and hit 21 MPH (as determined by the skidmarks afterward). Little Brooklyn then turned away from her father and ran back out in front of my car where she proceeded to bounce off the bumper and smack her head off the road. Long story short, Brooklyn survived the crash with a few stitches in her head and a broken nose. She was very fortunate considering I was (at the time) driving a Jeep Cherokee 4x4. I was very fortunate considering she lived and considering I was going under the assigned speed limit when I hit her. All I got out of that accident was having to live with the memory of her lying motionless on the road thinking I severely hurt her and the threat of a lawsuit by her parents (which angered me considering it was THEIR fault for this happening).

Now, no matter if I was at fault or not, had I gone out to dinner with my girlfriend and her family before this and drank two beers with my dinner, I would have been locked up afterward for a vehicular crime while being under the influence... and it wouldn't have mattered if the accident could have been prevented by taking alcohol away, little bit that it might have been (you're typically considered under the influence if you drink 1 1/2 beers). On top of that, my family would have suffered for it financially since the lawsuit would have been aimed at them. Yes, I've been in Stallworth's near exact same situation, and I can honestly tell you that when something like that happens, it doesn't matter if you've had a couple or not... there is going to be an accident. I'm actually rooting for Stallworth this year and hope he can rebound to help his career. What happened to him was unfortunate for him and his victim's family. It's now time to move on.

That was a very nice gesture on the part of Brady.

This day and age, if anyone gets caught driving with more than the legal limit of alcohol in the blood, then not only do they deserve serious jail time but they also need serious psychological work. As far as I'm concerned they are as guilty as anyone else who gets charged with attempted murder. And yes I state my case from the perspective of someone has suffered at the hands of a drunk driver.

I lean towards Kontra's view of things here, but would basically sum it up by saying the world is not a simple place. Things are not black and white. Good people do bad things, and they are capable of making horrible mistakes. To try and say Stallworth is a terrible person b/c of one action - which may be terrible, but is ultimately somewhat relatable for some people - seems harsh.

Either way, what Brady did was very classy and shows what kind of character he has.

You know whats becoming as bad as drunk drivers?

Its SOBER drivers using thier cell phones and not paying attention to the road :mad:

I think there needs to be a seroius law about cell phones and driving...like a $200 fine every time caught doing it when the car is above a certain speed.

When I was 19, I was driving back home from work during the day going down a two lane road. On the other side of the road was a mom, a dad, and a little 7 year old girl who had just got off the school bus. The girl turned and ran toward the middle of the road. I hit my brakes and slowed down. Her dad called her and she turned around to look at him and started walking back toward him. Thinking it was okay, I proceeded to go again and hit 21 MPH (as determined by the skidmarks afterward). Little Brooklyn then turned away from her father and ran back out in front of my car where she proceeded to bounce off the bumper and smack her head off the road. Long story short, Brooklyn survived the crash with a few stitches in her head and a broken nose. She was very fortunate considering I was (at the time) driving a Jeep Cherokee 4x4. I was very fortunate considering she lived and considering I was going under the assigned speed limit when I hit her. All I got out of that accident was having to live with the memory of her lying motionless on the road thinking I severely hurt her and the threat of a lawsuit by her parents (which angered me considering it was THEIR fault for this happening).

Now, no matter if I was at fault or not, had I gone out to dinner with my girlfriend and her family before this and drank two beers with my dinner, I would have been locked up afterward for a vehicular crime while being under the influence... and it wouldn't have mattered if the accident could have been prevented by taking alcohol away, little bit that it might have been (you're typically considered under the influence if you drink 1 1/2 beers). On top of that, my family would have suffered for it financially since the lawsuit would have been aimed at them. Yes, I've been in Stallworth's near exact same situation, and I can honestly tell you that when something like that happens, it doesn't matter if you've had a couple or not... there is going to be an accident. I'm actually rooting for Stallworth this year and hope he can rebound to help his career. What happened to him was unfortunate for him and his victim's family. It's now time to move on.

But you weren't drinking and you slowed down. Who knows, maybe that saved the little girls life. Maybe if Stallworth isn't impaired he actually slows down enough where the man is hit enough only to break his nose and get a few stitches. Know one can know. But the facts are that he was under the influence when he got in his car (and illegal act) and now a man is dead.

I might have been rooting for him too, but based on Peter King's story he is still lying about it - this means he hasn't learned enough about what happened.

You know whats becoming as bad as drunk drivers?

Its SOBER drivers using thier cell phones and not paying attention to the road :mad:

I think there needs to be a seroius law about cell phones and driving...like a $200 fine every time caught doing it when the car is above a certain speed.

We just had a line instituting fines for that here. I think it's around $220 for talking on a cell without using a hands-free device. I applaud the move. Along with our 0.04 alcohol limit. :)

I'm sticking with the topic focus. Very supportive of Brady to do this. Notice how he stuck with personal friendship support and did not get into the morass of fault, guilt, blame, excuses or whatever.

I'm sticking with the topic focus. Very supportive of Brady to do this. Notice how he stuck with personal friendship support and did not get into the morass of fault, guilt, blame, excuses or whatever.
That's because Brady has no personal connection to the guy who died at the hands of his drunken friend. Had the dead person been someone that Brady knew and loved my guess is he wouldn't have been too supportive.

Last edited:
That's because Brady has no personal connection to the guy who died at the hands of his drunken friend. Had the dead person been someone that Brady knew and loved my guess is he wouldn't have been too supportive.

Agreed...If it were Gisele or Bridget he killed...different story

Its always easy to look lightly at misfortunes of a dead person you don't know nor will shed a tear over.

Sometimes people can be excruciatingly selfish as some of these posts indicate where as long as it is not someone they care for,no big deal.

Last edited:
Tom Brady really seems to be a legitimately nice and caring person. We're lucky to have that guy leading our team.

This thread reminds me of the Panama City Police after the high school guy got drunk and fell to his death.

Outrage! Find the guy who gave him the booze and crucify him.

What? It is a surprise to the cops that underage kids are drinking in Panama City on spring break?

It is wrong to give underage kids booze, whether they die or not. You don't know which kid is going to die. To punish the ones when the kid dies and not do something about the main problem is simple self-righteous grandstanding.

Same here. THe guy who said the fact that drinking and killing someone shows lack of caring...No, killing someone did not show lack of caring. Drinking and driving showed lack of caring. So where is the outrage against have a couple beers and getting into a car and driving?

It just isn't there. What the self-righteous are goning postal over is basically having the bad luck to hit someone. it could happen to anyone who was drinking and driving.

Anyone who has ever had a drink and gotten behind the wheel, and that includes me, has no business criticizing Stallworth. That is beyond self-righteous. That is called being a hypocrit, because but for the Grace of God, you could have killed someone. You are lucky, that is all. Your bad judgement is the same as Stallworth's.

Agreed...If it were Gisele or Bridget he killed...different story

Its always easy to look lightly at misfortunes of a dead person you don't know nor will shed a tear over.

Sometimes people can be excruciatingly selfish as some of these posts indicate where as long as it is not someone they care for,no big deal.

Brady didn't say anything like "screw that dead guy". And who the hell said "no big deal"? I think we all realize it's the biggest deal possible, and Brady's gesture does not touch upon that.

Brady didn't say anything like "screw that dead guy". And who the hell said "no big deal"? I think we all realize it's the biggest deal possible, and Brady's gesture does not touch upon that.
Brady didn't have to say anything specifically; his support of his murderous friend spoke the words for him.

I realize that...what I am saying is I don't think Brady would be looking at Donte with the same support had it been one of his own...thats all I am saying.

Brady did what Brady thought was right..

I realize that...what I am saying is I don't think Brady would be looking at Donte with the same support had it been one of his own....

...... which would make Brady the ultimate hypocrite.

Brady shouldd have kept his mouth zipped on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes