PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady still not 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, what an overreaction thread. Brady usually tanks a game, late in the season. He does it every year. Now people are saying trade Moss, resign Weis, fire Pees we have no third receiver, it's Giselle's fault. Calm down. Aiken had 7 catches for 90 yards. What more could you ask for in a third receiver. Don't forget we are up by two games in our division. W are still in the race. Man, Patriot fans have become a fickle bunch. Or have you forgotten what it was like to have Hugh Millen or Marc Wilson at QB. Or even remember when we had Joe Kapp.

I'd love to see us utilize our TE's more in the receiving game. Our OL won't allow for that. Notice how NO utilizes it's TE's including one of our castoffs? Ditto Denver... Brady can't develop a rhythm with ours because they spend 90% of their time blocking. Rhythm is what is really lacking on this offense. Once in a while our receivers make OMG catches. But aside from Welker they don't routinely make tough catches, everything has to be perfect execution wise, and the pressure to make it so is wearing on Tommy. And much of it is beyond his control.

anyone remember those catches givens and patten used to make? .i mean moss makes them and makes them look easier but how many have we seen really fight for the ball and win the battle ?

It was a combination of having no time on nearly every play, and Brady missing.

For instance, there was a play where Aiken had nothing but field in front of him, Brady over threw him. He over threw Moss a few times. You combine that with the pressure the Saints were able to get and you see the ugly outcome you do last night.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not into the good ol' NE lynching the OC. EVERY guy who has been a OC has been criticized to no end here. If the line blocks, and Brady is on target, the game is different. People do not understand something it seems. The coaches coach, the players play. It's a two way street. When Brady over throws a wide open Aiken, an open Moss, misses open receivers, that's on him. When he's getting blown the **** up every 2 seconds through the middle, that's Koppen. It's called execution folks. JMO.

It was a combination of having no time on nearly every play, and Brady missing.

For instance, there was a play where Aiken had nothing but field in front of him, Brady over threw him. He over threw Moss a few times. You combine that with the pressure the Saints were able to get and you see the ugly outcome you do last night.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not into the good ol' NE lynching the OC. EVERY guy who has been a OC has been criticized to no end here. If the line blocks, and Brady is on target, the game is different. People do not understand something it seems. The coaches coach, the players play. It's a two way street. When Brady over throws a wide open Aiken, an open Moss, misses open receivers, that's on him. When he's getting blown the **** up every 2 seconds through the middle, that's Koppen. It's called execution folks. JMO.

Koppen actually did a pretty good job of holding his man at the point of attack. It was Connolly that didn't.

Koppen actually did a pretty good job of holding his man at the point of attack. It was Connolly that didn't.

How many times did a MLB come banging through the mdidle while Koppen whiffed? Good call though, Connolly wasn't helpful either.

QBs are allowed to have off games. No one was questioning Brady's health when he lit the Colts up a few weeks ago

How many times did a MLB come banging through the mdidle while Koppen whiffed? Good call though, Connolly wasn't helpful either.

A lot less often than it happened with Connolly. But I will agree though, the whole O-Line did not do a good job last night. The right side, however, was especially bad.

THIS

Why do people have a hard time accepting that Brady simply had a bad game? Why do we accept that sometimes pitchers just don't have certain pitches, or sometimes a basketball player just cannot make a shot, yet we cannot accept that sometimes a QB just cannot make his throws?

Last night had nothing to do ith his injury from last year. He just had a bad game.

Because it's a foolish, kneejerk oversimplification. Last night his OL had a bad game. When an opponent is getting consistent pressure rushing 3 and 4, it's on the OL. Brady moved around and bought time as well as ever, it just wasn't enough in part because with 7 and 8 in coverage both Moss and Welker were being taken out of the game or allowed no yac in Welker's case which is his bread and butter.

Moss' route running left much to be desired last night, rounding and driting and cutting off routes and once again he wasn't able/willing/prepared (call it what you will) to outphysical guys he towers over to make plays on catchable deep balls which Brady can only manage to get to him in very limited quantities. When the long game sputters in order to keep him involved they start running him on crossing routes underneath. This is a waste of time on so many levels because he avoids contact and hears footsteps and gets no yac while clogging the middle with defenders... But they seem determined to keep him involved as more than a decoy since absent consistent protection and facing determined coverage Brady can't get it to him routinely anyway.

I think it's great that Randy stepped up after the game last night and said he relishes the tongue lashing Bill is gonna inflict on them Wednesday...since he almost never practices on Wednesdays...

Would have been nice to run the ball more but after falling behind rapidly repeatedly that became an unviable option.

The ability to put up points on offense was obviously supposed to cover for a multitude of sins on defense. In 2007 and 2008 those included increasing age and lack of speed. In 2009 it's inexperience and growing pains. There were youngsters on defense high fiving on the sidelines after Welker's return. Of course they may be getting that message from a guy like Wilfork going all dramatic after the third down stop that preceeded the fourth down conversion...coming off a game where they abused someone's rookie franchise QB...

You really have to wonder if the Brady 'big time game changer QB' era has gone with the 2007 season....He looks fantastic against scrub teams but gets beaten against solid teams now.

Ok, I'm starting to think you haven't been paying attention.

Who the &*^% did he throw the ball too before Moss and Welker got there? That's right... ANYONE.

Aiken is a perfectly competent #3 WR. We're not bad off at WR at all, we just need them healthy and an OC who can put them in position to win.

I heard one just became available?

For real, why not bring in Weis and Crennell? What else are they doing, sitting around and jerking it?

I'd probably cry tears of joy if that happened.

Man, what an overreaction thread. Brady usually tanks a game, late in the season. He does it every year. Now people are saying trade Moss, resign Weis, fire Pees we have no third receiver, it's Giselle's fault. Calm down. Aiken had 7 catches for 90 yards. What more could you ask for in a third receiver. Don't forget we are up by two games in our division. W are still in the race. Man, Patriot fans have become a fickle bunch. Or have you forgotten what it was like to have Hugh Millen or Marc Wilson at QB. Or even remember when we had Joe Kapp.

Well said!

We need to stop using this as an excuse. Brady is fine, hes 100%. The major issue here is his protection, it affects his whole game, his reads and throws if he is constantly worried about being rushed. He forced his throws sometimes because he was under heavy pressure. Pre snap he is more concerned with picking up the pressure instead of reading the safeties and corners. It all starts with the OL.

Listen. It's not an EXCUSE. People like yourself seem to think that talking about what we see is making excuses. Its not. So STUFF IT already. Seriously. If you don't know wtf you are talking about why do you even bother opening your mouth? You didn't bring ANYTHING constructive with your post.

Brady ISN'T fine. You'd have seen that if you actually had watched the game instead of picking lint hair out of your navel while sucking on your slurpie straw. Two of the passes I was talking about, Brady didn't have pressure on him. Yet, the throws were off.

I have news for you. Brady is required to make the pre-snap reads to identify the Mike so that the O-line knows its assignment. It's then up to the O-line to protect him. And they did a fairly good job of that, in all honesty. Was there pressure on Brady? Yes. Was it consistent? No. Brady wasn't making the throws the way he normally does.

But spreading the ball around to who?

Aiken? Stanback?

YES. Aiken. Stanback. Baker. They are also receivers that Brady needs to go to. I love Welker and Moss, but they weren't getting it done last night.

Listen. It's not an EXCUSE. People like yourself seem to think that talking about what we see is making excuses. Its not. So STUFF IT already. Seriously. If you don't know wtf you are talking about why do you even bother opening your mouth? You didn't bring ANYTHING constructive with your post.

Brady ISN'T fine. You'd have seen that if you actually had watched the game instead of picking lint hair out of your navel while sucking on your slurpie straw. Two of the passes I was talking about, Brady didn't have pressure on him. Yet, the throws were off.

I have news for you. Brady is required to make the pre-snap reads to identify the Mike so that the O-line knows its assignment. It's then up to the O-line to protect him. And they did a fairly good job of that, in all honesty. Was there pressure on Brady? Yes. Was it consistent? No. Brady wasn't making the throws the way he normally does.

Was Brady not 100% vs the Titans and the Bucs? Just because he didnt play well last night when it counted people are looking for excuses for him. The Tom Brady last night was the same Tom Brady that played in the previous 3 or 4 games and no one was saying that he wasnt 100% then.

Brady was under constant pressure all night long last night. When he didnt have guys in his face he was moving around the pocket to get away from the pressure. I cant remember many plays that Tom was comforable in the pocket and was given plenty of time to throw. When he didnt have guys in his face he saw them coming and had to get rid of the ball quickly, as was the case with the 1st INT and he rushed the 4th and 3 to Moss in the 3rd quarter as well. The whole offense starts with the OL, if they can protect Brady he will be very sucessful, but when he is under constant pressure all night it is hard for him to be the Tom Brady we are used to seeing

YES. Aiken. Stanback. Baker. They are also receivers that Brady needs to go to. I love Welker and Moss, but they weren't getting it done last night.

Thanks, my balls were getting sore from all the busting.

The plays nowadays are designed so Welker & Moss are reads 1 & 2. A decent chunk of the time these other guys seem to just be running routes to clear out space for Welker & Moss.

I'd love to see us utilize our TE's more in the receiving game. Our OL won't allow for that. Notice how NO utilizes it's TE's including one of our castoffs? Ditto Denver... Brady can't develop a rhythm with ours because they spend 90% of their time blocking. Rhythm is what is really lacking on this offense. Once in a while our receivers make OMG catches. But aside from Welker they don't routinely make tough catches, everything has to be perfect execution wise, and the pressure to make it so is wearing on Tommy. And much of it is beyond his control.

Agreed. We have to leave in Baker to block - when we don't, we get what we saw last nite, Brady under siege. We went spread with only the OL to block with no help, and they couldn't stop a 4 man rush.

It's simple math. Its how we lost the Super Bowl. If 5 OL are blocking 4 guys and can't stop them, then the other 7 defenders are going to have a damn easy time stopping the 5 pass targets.

Did you not watch the game?
Moss/Welker receptions: 9
Everyone Else: 14

Moss and Welker are generally his go to receivers (or first and second looks). When your O-line gets absolutely abused while the defense plays 7-8 in coverage, you are screwed. He didn't have the time to progress past 1 or 2 looks and it was pretty difficult for anyone to get open with that many bodies in coverage. Brady didn't stand a chance tonight.

Thanks, my balls were getting sore from all the busting.

Aiken was the leading WR last night. He caught 7 passes, but did he make any plays?

Stanback is not a WR, he is just a fill in.

Bottom line is that the Saints were daring the Pats to beat us with our WRs besides Moss and Welker and they didnt do that.

We're lacking depth at the WR position and thats a fact

Aiken was the leading WR last night. He caught 7 passes, but did he make any plays?

Stanback is not a WR, he is just a fill in.

Bottom line is that the Saints were daring the Pats to beat us with our WRs besides Moss and Welker and they didnt do that.

We're lacking depth at the WR position and thats a fact

Just answer this for me: How are you supposed to read the progression on all of the receivers/routes, let their routes develop, and have the receivers get open when their are 7-8 bodies in coverage and 3-4 linebackers are running right through your O-line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes