PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady still not 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he isn't 100% the O line had a few breakdowns but not enough to make him miss and force throws like he did. He still doesn't have his head right and he often looked like a statue in the pocket, brady had the best footwork handsdown preinjury. Brady really needs to calmdown and make his reads we know he has the capacity to do it he's just gotta get his head right.

Basically had a terrible game. Even though he's bounced back from that knee injury pretty quick, everyone else that has had a torn ACL has said it really takes two years to recover, a year off and then another year to really become 100%. Both Palmer and one other QB (I forgot who) and Harrison have said this.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm starting to think you haven't been paying attention.

Who the &*^% did he throw the ball too before Moss and Welker got there? That's right... ANYONE.

Aiken is a perfectly competent #3 WR. We're not bad off at WR at all, we just need them healthy and an OC who can put them in position to win.

I disagree - Brady makes Aiken look reasonably competent, I doubt he would even be on the roster as a wideout on many teams in this league and he most certainly would not have played wideout on any of the SB winning teams, even 2001. And that 2001 wide receiver group was probably truly a below average group (with the exception of Troy), but after that, while we didn't have any spectacular receivers, we had relatively deep corps with several above average wideouts. Or at least several guys who were above average while paired with Brady. Branch, Givens, Patten, Brown.

The spread it around thing is overrated. We used to have 3-4 receivers of the same caliber, the snaps themselves were spread around a bit more, so of course receptions are as well.

Like Brady said, his first two reads on most plays are designed to be Moss & Welker. Personally, I'd like to see us utilize Faulk & Watson more, but as for receivers, its basically just Moss & Welker. Sam Aiken doesn't scare anyone, and Edelman is just a pretty good Welker fill-in.

Last edited:
That's ridiculous. Gisele has no bearing on this whatsoever. Montana was married to a TV actress/model when he won his last superbowl.

Not to mention the year Brady & Gisele first dated he did win his first 18 games and have the best season of any QB in history. But b/c some Giants castoff made a fluke catch at the end of the SB, somehow Patriot fans take what otherwise might be one of the most successful and dominant years in sports and dismiss it completely.

JAWS commented on several occasions on his movement in and around the pocket last night. As he also noted, that's not the issue, it's the protection breakdowns. And it's the over reliance on 2 guys who can be shut down by defenses who can routinely get that pressure rushing 3 and 4 by and large.

The simple fact of the matter is that Brady looks like a mere mortal when the defense is able to create pressure both from the outsides and right up the gut. The pressure up the gut is the worst as Brady is mobile inside the pocket, meaning he can bounce around and get away from pressure coming from the outsides, but it by no means a "mobile" quarterback, if you catch my drift. Pressure up the gut forces guys like Brady and Manning, who are not able to simple run away from it, to make throws quickly or off their back foot. So far this season, we've seen that that is the case when Stephen Neal is out of the line-up. We saw it last season as well and in the Super Bowl against the Giants. It's safe to say that he and Mankins are probably the two most important linemen on the team. Also, without him in the line-up, Kaczur is not that good. I don't care how you try to spin it (probably by reminding me that "Dante likes him and they gave him an extension"). His man gets off his blocks easily and when Neal was out of the line-up, Kaczur's man was once again constantly in the backfield.

The concept of "Spreading the ball" is overrated. How about a 3rd receiver that can consistently get open? That can make you pay for focusing on Welker and Moss?

I also think Tom has a sub par long ball. Not even in the same realm as Peyton or Brees.

The simple fact of the matter is that Brady looks like a mere mortal when the defense is able to create pressure both from the outsides and right up the gut. The pressure up the gut is the worst as Brady is mobile inside the pocket, meaning he can bounce around and get away from pressure coming from the outsides, but it by no means a "mobile" quarterback, if you catch my drift. Pressure up the gut forces guys like Brady and Manning, who are not able to simple run away from it, to make throws quickly or off their back foot. So far this season, we've seen that that is the case when Stephen Neal is out of the line-up. We saw it last season as well and in the Super Bowl against the Giants. It's safe to say that he and Mankins are probably the two most important linemen on the team. Also, without him in the line-up, Kaczur is not that good. I don't care how you try to spin it (probably by reminding me that "Dante likes him and they gave him an extension"). His man gets off his blocks easily and when Neal was out of the line-up, Kaczur's man was once again constantly in the backfield.

Good point. Getting pressure from the outside is a lot easier for Brady and Manning to escape and avoid because they can step up in the pocket. Both QBs dont have mobility to get outside the pocket and find guys downfield. The way to beat Brady is to get guys in his face up the middle, clearly shown in week 2 and last night. People dont realize how critical the OL play is in Brady's success

Yes Connolly is a brilliant right guard replacement, it's just that he can't cover for Kaczur like Neal does.

What sort of chemicals help you design this sort of logic?

The concept of "Spreading the ball" is overrated. How about a 3rd receiver that can consistently get open? That can make you pay for focusing on Welker and Moss?

I also think Tom has a sub par long ball. Not even in the same realm as Peyton or Brees.

Not only get open, but make plays for you. Aiken can get open for that 10-15 yard pass, but he isnt a big play type of guy. We're lacking the Branches, Gaffney, Caldwell, quality 3rd WRs that have the ability to make plays so that we can beat teams when they take away Moss and Welker.

I disagree - Brady makes Aiken look reasonably competent, I doubt he would even be on the roster as a wideout on many teams in this league and he most certainly would not have played wideout on any of the SB winning teams, even 2001. And that 2001 wide receiver group was probably truly a subpar group (with the exception of Troy), but after that, while we didn't have any spectacular receivers, we had relatively deep corps with several above average wideouts. Or at least several guys who were above average while paired with Brady. Branch, Givens, Patten, Brown.

The spread it around thing is overrated. We used to have 3-4 receivers of the same caliber, the snaps themselves were spread around a bit more, so of course receptions are as well.

Like Brady said, his first two reads on most plays are designed to be Moss & Welker. Personally, I'd like to see us utilize Faulk & Watson more, but as for receivers, its basically just Moss & Welker. Sam Aiken doesn't scare anyone, and Edelman is just a pretty good Welker fill-in.

I'd love to see us utilize our TE's more in the receiving game. Our OL won't allow for that. Notice how NO utilizes it's TE's including one of our castoffs? Ditto Denver... Brady can't develop a rhythm with ours because they spend 90% of their time blocking. Rhythm is what is really lacking on this offense. Once in a while our receivers make OMG catches. But aside from Welker they don't routinely make tough catches, everything has to be perfect execution wise, and the pressure to make it so is wearing on Tommy. And much of it is beyond his control.

Last edited:
He plays well, and he's back.
He plays bad, and he's not 100 percent.

I guess we'll be hearing this the rest of his career.

Ok, I'm starting to think you haven't been paying attention.

Who the &*^% did he throw the ball too before Moss and Welker got there? That's right... ANYONE.

Aiken is a perfectly competent #3 WR. We're not bad off at WR at all, we just need them healthy and an OC who can put them in position to win.

We just disagree.

Aiken is not a competent 3rd receiver.

We have basically nothing out there.

He's worse than Gaffney.

Yes Connolly is a brilliant right guard replacement, it's just that he can't cover for Kaczur like Neal does.

What sort of chemicals help you design this sort of logic?

What the hell are you talking about? It is actually quite common that offensive linemen help one another out. Very common. Sometimes he has no choice but to try to chip Kaczur's man (especially when the D is in a 3-4). Are you seriously saying that you could not see the difference in Kaczur's play with Neal in the line-up and without him? Look, I know that you're not the biggest X's and O's type of guy, but you have eyes. Kaczur craps out with Connolly in there as opposed to Neal. His play was good last night at the beginning of the game, trailed off in the middle, and then improved again in the end. There is a very good reason for that, and it's apparently one which you are having trouble understanding.

I'd love to see us utilize our TE's more in the receiving game. Our OL won't allow for that. Notice how NO utilizes it's TE's including one of our castoffs? Ditto Denver... Brady can't develop a rhythm with ours because they spend 90% of their time blocking. Rhythm is what is really lacking on this offense. Once in a while our receivers make OMG catches. But they don't routinely make tough catches, everything has to be perfect execution wise, and the pressure to make it so is wearing on Tommy. And much of it is beyond his control.

The common thread with all of this is the poor play from our OL. It affects everything we do on offense. It effects Brady's play, no time to throw and find WRs and also TE play because they cannot be downfield when Brady has to adjust the blocking and have a TE stay in and help block

He had a really crappy game, I think thats all there is to it. He was making those throws the last half dozen weeks.

THIS

Why do people have a hard time accepting that Brady simply had a bad game? Why do we accept that sometimes pitchers just don't have certain pitches, or sometimes a basketball player just cannot make a shot, yet we cannot accept that sometimes a QB just cannot make his throws?

Last night had nothing to do ith his injury from last year. He just had a bad game.

THIS

Why do people have a hard time accepting that Brady simply had a bad game? Why do we accept that sometimes pitchers just don't have certain pitches, or sometimes a basketball player just cannot make a shot, yet we cannot accept that sometimes a QB just cannot make his throws?

Last night had nothing to do ith his injury from last year. He just had a bad game.

Brady had a bad game, with alittle help from the oline.

Brady is fine...Had a bad game and the O-Line didn't help either. He needs to diversify his passes.

Seems like your only possible equation is "Kaczur is stinky if Neal isn't there to help him."

Why can't it be that "Connolly is stinky and forces Kaczur to keep an eye inside."

What the hell are you talking about? It is actually quite common that offensive linemen help one another out. Very common. Sometimes he has no choice but to try to chip Kaczur's man (especially when the D is in a 3-4). Are you seriously saying that you could not see the difference in Kaczur's play with Neal in the line-up and without him? Look, I know that you're not the biggest X's and O's type of guy, but you have eyes. Kaczur craps out with Connolly in there as opposed to Neal. His play was good last night at the beginning of the game, trailed off in the middle, and then improved again in the end. There is a very good reason for that, and it's apparently one which you are having trouble understanding.

Last edited:
This is what I find amusing. How is not possible that Kaczur is looking over the RG's shoulder now which is affecting his play, rather it not being the RG covering for him? That's my point. Maybe Kazcur 's faltering play when Neal is out is directly related to drop in ability beside him, rather than him being substandard and Neal covering it up.

I considered that as well, because I honestly don't hate Kaczur the way some in here seem to. That's why I made it a point to make him the one lineman that I watched after Neal left the game. The simple fact is that when he was one on one with his man, he was getting blown up time and time again. Did he hold his own on a few plays? Sure. But he was getting beaten more often than not. I think we know where Connolly was at this point as well being that the Saints were getting pressure up the middle going right at him and that was really Brady's kryptonite last night. With Neal, the right side of that offensive line seems more intact than it does with Connolly. The bottom line is that Connolly-Kaczur are not as good of a RG-RT combo than Neal-Kaczur are. Neal seals off his man while being able to chip Kaczur's man a lot of times as well. Connolly has not been capable of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back