PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady sacked 13 times in last 3 playoff games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree that they need to find a LT (Vollmer?) but at the same time, need to be careful about toying with cohesiveness with the O-line. There are teams that have done this - 49ers in the 80's would bring in linemen that specialized in run vs pass protection. With that said, they were so good it didn't matter as you were not going to stop them.

With that said, if they do decide to employ your approach the team needs a running back that can make teams respect the running game and cool the potential pass rush.

Yep,to me a guy like Michael Turner would be a beast in this offense

That guy can run like the wind,can break tackles and can block as good as you can expect

We need to find the next Michael Turner in this draft...BJGE is not that guy although he runs pretty well.

light has been in this league for 10 years and is in his mid 30s. the pats need to upgrade at LT. h e can no longer keep up with the speed rushers without TE help. in fact i think the pats oline looked a lot better this year than in reality because of guys like Crumpler, gronkowski.

For one, he's going to be 33. My deal would take him to 35. For another, Light did just fine one on one with speed rushers this year. Dwight Freeney and James Harrison say hi.

Yep,to me a guy like Michael Turner would be a beast in this offense

That guy can run like the wind,can break tackles and can block as good as you can expect

We need to find the next Michael Turner in this draft...BJGE is not that guy although he runs pretty well.

Don't remind me. I wanted Michael Turner the year he came out and he would have only cost a mid round pick. But we used it on somebody forgettable instead. Oh yeah, we took Cedric Cobbs over Michael Turner. :mad:

Don't you guys know that like half our line is going to the pro bowl for the fifth straight year??? Sacks aren't a problem. We have the best line, eveeeerrrrrrrr. Just look at the pro bowl selections. Matt Light is soooo sick.

Don't you guys know that like half our line is going to the pro bowl for the fifth straight year??? Sacks aren't a problem. We have the best line, eveeeerrrrrrrr. Just look at the pro bowl selections. Matt Light is soooo sick.

I hope you're joking.

Gotta see the trends now, LGP. 15 sacks in the last 4 playoff games is not good.

The line does have good players, but for a multitude of reasons mentioned in other posts, in the playoffs they are not performing up to their regular season standards.

Again did they lose to the jets because of the OL?No they didnt.It was because they couldnt execute on offense.These wrs couldnt get no separation and run crisp routes.

So the question I have is: how can an OLine play well for a season and then collapse in the post season three straight times.??

Because they are soft inside, my 1uestion is why wasn't this addressed after the SB loss, and will it be addressed now that it is a clear issue?

There is no lack of talent on our offensive line, be sure of that. Last game's sacks were mostly "coverage sacks" where Brady had like 7 seconds to throw but there was just nobody open.

Our offensive struggles really have a lot to do with the defense IMO. These are playoff games: we're playing the best teams in football. We're not gonna put up 28+ unless the other team's defense has a rough day. When we won our Super Bowls we were winning playoff games when we scored 21 points or less. Now we don't have any playmakers on defense, coupled with a poor secondary, and that gives other teams more time with the ball, and leaves Brady on the sideline, biting his nails, and thinking that he absolutely must score on the next drive. No trust in the defense = more pressure on the offense.

Also, we're addicted to being a high-scoring offense. "It's 7-3 going into halftime? Oh crap! Let's try a fake punt!" The offense needs to manage the ball better. Our drive summary is basically: 3&out punt, 3&out punt, scoring drive, 3&out punt, scoring drive, punt, etc. It's hard to play a game of field position with all those 3&outs. Like I said, there is too much pressure on the offense to score every drive.

Build the defense. Brady couldn't win the big one in 2007 with the greatest offense in the history of the NFL. Use all of our free agent dollars and draft picks to build the best defense in the NFL. That way if Brady lays his fourth playoff egg in a row, the Pats can still win the Superbowl.

Last edited:
I guess I should have included a sarcasm emoticon. I like Matt Light about as much as I liked Ken Walter.

In the 2003 Superbowl against Carolina's vaunted defense with tons of sack artists and maybe the league's best front-7 at the time, the Patriots ran the ball 35 times that game and their no-name offensive line gave up ZERO sacks.
On another note, that year the Patriots had I believe the league's worst rushing attack by ypc, and still ran the ball just as much as they passed it during the regular season.

It really shows the beating Brady has taken in his last 3 playoff games...getting sacked 13 times is a pretty horrid stat.

Either his receivers are not finding better ways to get open or come back to Brady or the OL is being dominated.

Exactly. This is what the knuckleheads in the media and the meatheads calling up the show don't seem to grasp. Brady is not declining and does not have a playoff problem. The issue is that they are playing better teams with elite pass-rushers and DBs who expose weaknesses in Patriots OL and receiving corps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes