PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady on WEEI right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should amend my original post to say, look closely at the video of the last perfectly thrown ball to Moss in the end zone. Perfect throw, and Randy would have had that, if not for the obvious interference.

rewatch the video of that pass then. It isnt a matter of jumping up. the ball is clearly underthrown and the defender is in front of him. he'd have had to go through the defender to get to the ball.

When has that stopped him in the past? The DB had to jump through the roof to get a hand on it, are you telling me Moss couldn't have elevated a few inches higher than the DB could? Of course, he could have.

The back is a legitimate excuse, I'm just saying, I don't think that ball was underthrown, at least not for Moss' standards of making a grab. In 2007, I have no doubt Moss comes down with that. Look at the Miami game, for instance.

rewatch the video of that pass then. It isnt a matter of jumping up. the ball is clearly underthrown and the defender is in front of him. he'd have had to go through the defender to get to the ball.

OK, maybe the pass wasn't perfect--about one or two feet farther would have been perfect. :eek:

Watch the play: if Moss just goes after the ball instead of letting it fall right into his breadbasket, it's an easy catch for him.

Am I the only one here that remembers that Moss was Questionable with a Back issue just prior to the game and did not practice a few days last week.

Ya think that might have had something to do with it? Hello?

When has that stopped him in the past? The DB had to jump through the roof to get a hand on it, are you telling me Moss couldn't have elevated a few inches higher than the DB could? Of course, he could have.

The back is a legitimate excuse, I'm just saying, I don't think that ball was underthrown, at least not for Moss' standards of making a grab. In 2007, I have no doubt Moss comes down with that. Look at the Miami game, for instance.

OK, maybe the pass wasn't perfect--about one or two feet farther would have been perfect. :eek:

Watch the play: if Moss just goes after the ball instead of letting it fall right into his breadbasket, it's an easy catch for him.

I'd agree with you guys if he was running slowly or standing still. then by all means he could have (and would have) changed direction and gone for the ball. In this case he's running full tilt away from the spot where the pass is coming down. the trajectory of the ball is low not high. I don't see how, in that split second he can stop and change direction toward an underthrown ball. give him a few more games and brady will be putting that ball where it needed to be and the result will be td's instead of fgs.

Am I the only one here that remembers that Moss was Questionable with a Back issue just prior to the game and did not practice a few days last week.

Ya think that might have had something to do with it? Hello?

I said the back is a valid excuse, but that doesn't change that Brady threw a catchable ball.

So the ball was falling into his breadbasket, essentially just over his left shoulder. If he goes higher, wouldn't the ball hit him in the back? He didn't extend his arms because the ball wasn't 2 feet away from his body...it was right on top of him.

His only option was to do what he did or slow down and turn it into a jumping contest. "Slow down" translating to underthrown ball. But not so dramatically underthrown that slowing down was a natural instinct.

Moss played fargin' out of his mind yesterday. Absolutely sick on any ball that hit his hands. To complain that he didn't do more to make more balls hit his hands is just stupid.

Moss played fargin' out of his mind yesterday. Absolutely sick on any ball that hit his hands. To complain that he didn't do more to make more balls hit his hands is just stupid.

There's no doubt Moss was the MVP yesterday - but I'm merely defending Brady here on what was a good throw, and what looked like a pass that Moss catches when healthy. It's the kind of play a Moss or a Fitzgerald makes look routine, but not a lot of other wideouts can pull off. Again, the coverage was perfect on the play.

Last edited:
I said the back is a valid excuse, but that doesn't change that Brady threw a catchable ball.

Since you keep harping on Moss not changing direction in mid air after sprinting on a deep route, all with a bad back injury...

are you applying the same standard to Brady, who missed a half dozen wide open throws, a few of which were sure TD throws if he threw it correctly?

Some people will ALWAYS harp on Randy Moss, no matter what.

Since you keep harping on Moss not changing direction in mid air after sprinting on a deep route, all with a bad back injury...

are you applying the same standard to Brady, who missed a half dozen wide open throws, a few of which were sure TD throws if he threw it correctly?

- I'm not someone who harps on Randy Moss, ever. If you read my posts, you know I was defending him throughout last season when some people were unfairly questioning his play.

- Brady missed some throws, yes, I never said otherwise. I don't know if there were 6 missed throws, but its a moot point, thats not the throw we're talking about here.

- Sometimes an observation is just an observation, and not indictment of a player and you shouldn't read too much into it. Moss played a great game and I thought he made a poor decision on this one pass. Brady played OK and I thought he made a good enough throw on this one pass.

Last edited:

Why does it have to be all or nothing? Maybe its both. Those throws were on Brady, but that deep one to Moss was a good throw. It was a 40 yard bomb if I remember correctly. Saying it should have been two yards deeper is crazy. The receiver needs to adjust to the ball in that case but he didn't. It was a mistake but only because the defender made a hell of a play. I actually think Moss believed the defender was further away then he was. In that case I think I give more credit to the defender then blame to Brady or Moss.

I love Moss and thought he made some great catches yesterday along the sideline. But he does NOT elevate straight up on a contested catch. He doesn't extend his arms up above his body, he leaves them down waiting for the ball to fall to him, allowing shorter defenders to knock it away. I've seen this again and again over the past couple of years. Clearly a shortcoming on his part.

On the other hand, if he's leaning out of bounds, he'll fully extend the arms to reach the ball, such as once yesterday and in last year's Jets game from Cassell in the end zone to tie the game - both great catches. So it's not a physical limitation.

I don't really get why this is, but I wish he'd reach up for the ball when there's a defender contesting. It negates his height advantage.

Why does it have to be all or nothing? Maybe its both. Those throws were on Brady, but that deep one to Moss was a good throw.

The difference is that nobody is constantly b*tching about Brady missing a ton of wide open throws to various receivers... whereas Randy Moss, possibly the MVP of that game, is getting plenty of heat on this forum for one catch he didn't make.

The difference is that nobody is constantly b*tching about Brady missing a ton of wide open throws to various receivers... whereas Randy Moss, possibly the MVP of that game, is getting plenty of heat on this forum for one catch he didn't make.

There are plenty of people saying that Brady missed throws. Everyone is saying it in fact. Is there anyone saying Brady played a perfect game yesterday?

I think the idea is if he doesn't reach for it and the defender isn't looking back, they can't anticipate a break-up as well and are more likely to get flagged for PI if they guess wrong.

Also, it's probably why Moss doesn't spend much time on the injury report.

I'd agree with you guys if he was running slowly or standing still. then by all means he could have (and would have) changed direction and gone for the ball. In this case he's running full tilt away from the spot where the pass is coming down. the trajectory of the ball is low not high. I don't see how, in that split second he can stop and change direction toward an underthrown ball. give him a few more games and brady will be putting that ball where it needed to be and the result will be td's instead of fgs.

:yeahthat:

Add to that that Moss has some long strides when he's in full flight. You can't expect him to change from full-out sprint to jumping for the ball, unless it's hanging above him. Hindsight being 20-20, he could have put the brakes on a little more to get position for that grab, but the defender made a hell of a play. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted that one back, but he had a huge game just the same.

There's room for fine-tuning on this offense and reason to expect that these are the sort of plays that go our way by the end of the year. (It's the plays where Brady can't get off this throw that concern me.)

Uh, the whole reason I made the original post that kicked this off was to point out 4 throws that were incompletions but could have resulted in TDs. Four of them. I was doing it to show that Brady's day wasn't as sketchy as it seemed. He made four picture perfect throws.

I wasn't doing it to knock Moss.

The last throw to Moss was just a super throw by Brady.

I'm just quoting Belichick.

LOL Like compared to the armchair analysts here he knows anything...:rolleyes:

The rope-a-dope strategy is like any other, it's only works for so long and then you have to revisit it. It's not lullling better corners to sleep anymore. That happens when you admit to it as well as putting a bullseye on yourself by saying things like you can beat double coverage... But then that ego goes along with the territory where WR's and CB's (elite or aspiring) are concerned.

I also think Moss is playing through some nagging and likely chronic from here on out back problems because he just never looks truly fluid anymore.

They have to hit those field stretching/spreading throws to Moss/whomever more often or it's not going to stretch the field... If tight man coverage with just one deep safety consistently shuts down the option, then we have a problem in the middle. And Brady has indicated that we have to involve Moss more (after he was a non factor in the JETS game...) and keep him involved so it's incumbant on them to figure out a way to make the plays to him more consistently productive. Of course having better success with Galloway and Welker back would seem to be the trick but we can't remotely count on that thus far.

I love Moss and thought he made some great catches yesterday along the sideline. But he does NOT elevate straight up on a contested catch. He doesn't extend his arms up above his body, he leaves them down waiting for the ball to fall to him, allowing shorter defenders to knock it away. I've seen this again and again over the past couple of years. Clearly a shortcoming on his part.

You've convinced me. Moss should have used his spidey-senses and known that a defender directly behind him would be able to dive and tip away the pass at the last second. Realizing this, it makes perfect sense to slow down on a pass that is falling directly into your arms and jump in the air instead over a defender that is right behind him (obviously correlating the last known position from his spidey-senses with the defenders speed rating taking into account the field conditions) and make a difficult leaping catch with the defender crashing into him at the precise moment the ball arrives and holding onto the ball as he slams into the ground.

It is so clear now.

Now I'm pissed at Baker for not jumping up to grab his TD pass at its highest point. But nooooooooooooo...he just kept running and let the pass fall into his clearly not outstretched arms. He is so lucky his obvious lack of effort didn't cost the Pats a victory. Did you see how his enraged teammates kept running into him in the end zone, screaming unmentionables, practically jumping on top of him for dogging it on that TD catch. Moss may be lazy but Baker is clearly a locker room cancer and must go.

Now I'm pissed at Baker for not jumping up to grab his TD pass at its highest point. But nooooooooooooo...he just kept running and let the pass fall into his clearly not outstretched arms. He is so lucky his obvious lack of effort didn't cost the Pats a victory. Did you see how his enraged teammates kept running into him in the end zone, screaming unmentionables, practically jumping on top of him for dogging it on that TD catch. Moss may be lazy but Baker is clearly a locker room cancer and must go.

Nobody is accusing Moss of dogging it - again, me, personally, I'm just saying he made the wrong decision on this one pass, and that it wasn't a bad throw by Brady. There are times to let it drop in and times to go up and highpoint it, and Moss sure as hell knows that. No need to put words in people's mouths - this isn't a thread for that kind of stuff, again, we're analyzing ONE play, and making no inferences about Moss' ability for any play other than that ONE specific play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye