PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady on WEEI - 10/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay folks, let's accept that Tom is still not on the same page as his WRs. If you consider the fourth quarter play where Wes ran a post and Tom threw a stop it would appear we can see why.
-- Welker is still in 2007-2008 mode, he's thinking like a high scoring Patriot.
-- Brady is thinking in terms of game management, he's gone back to his roots as he's rebuilding himself after the injury.

I can't say that either one is "wrong," they're just at two different places mentally. Knowing that, the challenge is for two professionals to figure out where they are and what they have to do to get synchronized. I don't put this on the coaches, Brady and Welker are two exceptional professionals who probably know what's wrong, they are just struggling with deleting the programming in their heads/muscles and uploading the same program.

Welker read an open middle and went for the gusto - pretty standard with either the 2007 Brady or 2008 Cassel. Brady was thinking, get the first. Welker has never played with "this" Brady before, Troy Brown or David Givens would know him in a coma. It may also be part of the issue between Brady and Galloway, Joey has always been used as a big play guy, Aiken as a possession receiver is a better fit mentally for "this" Brady.

The deep ball Moss and "this" Brady aren't in sync. The move the ball Moss working the short and intermediate roots is "tight" with Tommy.

Give it a little longer...though if some of you do want to switch your allegiance to the Ravens or Browns or Steelers, I'll understand. :singing:

it should get better every week.....i hope.......he just doesnt seem right

Maybe the guy just needs some ****** glasses.

Maybe the guy just needs some ****** glasses.

Remember the movie Major League? Wildthing Ricky Vaughn was a lot more accurate afterward's!! Maybe your right!!

Look at the replay. He did throw the ball at Welker's feet. And yes he and Welker were on different pages but WHY is that??
Patriot receivers are taught to read how defenses are playing them and adjust accordingly. If this offense is strictly "only run your route as designed" then why do so many receivers have difficulty picking up this offense? Why can't Joey Galloway (a terrific receiver for many years) simply run his routes if that's all this offense demands of its' receivers?? Because strict route running is NOT the only thing this offense requires of its' receivers.
Bottom line - Welker saw the way the defense came up on him, saw an obvious and gapping opening in the coverage and adjusted his route. It was TOM BRADY to didn't read that coverage correctly, didn't recognize the adjustment Welker was making and missed a wide open Wes for 7 points. In the past Brady would have read that defense, reacted to what Welker was doing and made a good throw. Let me ask you a question. Do you honestly think Wes Welker just decided this season that he's going to freelance and wing it??? Or is this the way they play (making in-route adjustments) but Brady isn't sharp right now and isn't picking up on what's going on quickly enough??

He threw at his feet? And then you say they're not on the same page>?

Look at the things you're writing.

BTW - I am forever grateful to Brady and will always be one of his biggest fans.....but it's okay to call hin out when he is not playing well. Fans do that sort of thing...yeesh. Also, all these folks that say Brady does not lie needs to rethink that. C'mon.

He threw at his feet? And then you say they're not on the same page>?

Look at the things you're writing.

They were clearly not on the same page.

Brady will always man up and routinely shoulders more than his share of the blame, but he was pretty clear that while they each understood what the other saw in hindsight, Brady could not see what Welker was seeing in that moment. And the primary goal in his mind and likely Bill's was to convert a critical third down in a one score game, not to take a shot at putting a game where they were having their way on ice...situational football.

What did you see on that [Wes Welker] play and what went wrong?

Wes was thinking one thing and I’m thinking another. That’s just the way it is. Wes and I need to be on the same page. I see what he was looking at, and he understands what I was looking at. That comes up over the course of a game. We should have hit the play. There’s no doubt about it. That was a great chance for us to make a critical third-down conversion there in the fourth quarter, and that’s why we lost, because we didn’t make that play — and other critical third-down conversions.

You’re thinking he stops on that?

He sees the open field, and I don’t see that far down the field. That’s part of being out there together, practicing, playing, and going over those plays so you can talk about those things. We’re going to make those improvements. Wes is one of the best football players that I’ve ever played with. I’ve got to find ways to do a better job with Wes, with Randy [Moss], to get those guys the ball. We certainly had opportunities to get them the ball yesterday and we didn’t.

He also made another comment which I've certainly noticed (as compared to other teams and our opponents).

Denver’s receivers are open all day and yours aren’t. There were a couple of throws you made and you had a window that was slightly better than the ball. Why are they getting separation and you’re not?

Our guys aren’t getting separation and sometimes our windows are tighter, and if there’s a chance to get a ball in there, then that’s what I got to do. Like I said, that’s a very talented group of skill position players. They’re good at every receiver position, every tight end position, they’ve got good running backs. They put a lot of pressure on the defense, and the defense hung in there at times. In the first half the defense played great, they made a big pull after the fumble and sent the game into overtime and it just wasn’t enough for us. It’s a good team, and they’re 5-0 for a reason, and we’re sitting there with a 10-point lead at halftime and thinking if we can score on the opening drive we’re going to go down and make it really tough on them, and we go three-and-out. So, that’s the difference.

I'd like to think our players are talented too, but they seem to have more talent on paper than in games. It hurt to lose Watson, our best pass catching TE who most here gave up on pre season, because he's actually getting open when he's not kept in to block. Maybe if he's in there on that pass to Matthews he anticipates it. Maybe if we have a legit #3 Moss and Welker get a little breathing room. Welker still gets open but with little wiggle room for YAC and a bigger hit target on his back. Moss is turning into a $9M decoy for a variety of reasons.

Absent perfect execution which is seldom achieved, couldn't fool a defense coached by the guy who ran this offense for the last 4 years and we seem to struggle as well to fool others who've been watching it for two plus years now.

Next two games should be manageable thanks to the football and scheduling gods. Need to make some adjustments and possibly decisions and come up with some wrinkles and really nail down execution over the bye. After week 8 you generally are who your record says you are. Hopefully in our case that's 5-2 heading for 6-2.

I would like to see the offense simplified myself ... beginning with Brady. Too many variables for all the rust he has ... too many split second decisions that his rust and perhaps lack of health is creating problems for.

I would, at some point, like to see the play-action reintroduced to this offense. Maybe I am old-fashioned, but if you make the defense think for an extra second maybe the receivers can get some separation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes