PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady on Ochocinco: 'We're Working on it'

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 6 million+ invested in him already, they may as well keep working on it, and save him in absolute case of emergency/injury.
Meanwhile, the New England Patriots cut Brandon Tate for Joey Galloway part deux.

He didn't look too happy with him on the sidelines after the third or fourth flailing miss at the ball.

I've been as hard as anybody on Ochocinco, but some of those throws that Brady was making to an open Ochocinco weren't exactly precision lasers, either.

I've been as hard as anybody on Ochocinco, but some of those throws that Brady was making to an open Ochocinco weren't exactly precision lasers, either.

They replayed all five passes on TV last night and it was odd to see the ball going off course by a little, but not catch-able on any of them. Even the out of bounds pass was not a possible reception because of where the ball was in relation to where 85 came out of his break.

Brady's passes were off the mark, while 85 wasn't in a spot to close on the ball except for the one out of bounds. It's like there is no chemistry between these guys. Branch and Brady connected on at least one identical route. With Branch, Welker, Gronk and Hernandez, Tom Brady just lets it rip. Not so with 85.

The fact is that Brady doesn't have time to wait for 85 to get open and then throw the ball. He has to throw it where 85 is going to be and 85's job is to be there in a position to catch the ball. They need to fix this if the plan is to throw 10% of the passes his way.

Last edited:
I think a positive you can take is that Ocho did get open 5 times, but the balls werent exactly catchable...but it seems close, you have to imagine it will click eventually if Ocho can get open with that regularity on a week to week basis.

like I said in another thread, one of the reasons the offense is struggling right now is that theres no reliable 3rd option at WR when Deion Branch goes into disappear mode on us...if Ocho or Taylor Price can step up into that role it would fix our offensive woes alot in the passing game

Last edited:

It's true. For as much as TFB was in sync with Moss, he has absolutely zero chemistry with Ocho. It's painful to watch.

to have a positive outlook, im gonna chalk it up to brady having a bad day. he was missing his reliable targets as well....I cant expect that he'll be that inaccurate next week.

I say we give him 2 more weeks. If no progress then we cut him.

I actually think Ochocinco had a good game (yes, that is how far expectations have been lowered). He seemed to get separation and to be honest, it was Brady's inaccuracy or great defensive plays that kept him from getting the ball. In fact, Ocho made a great catch of a ball that was out of bounds (so it doesn't go in the books as an actual catch).

Meanwhile, the New England Patriots cut Brandon Tate for Joey Galloway part deux.

What do you see as the benefits to immediately cutting C.Johnson right now? As I said, unless they need a roster spot, and have nowhere elese to turn but there....

If they're going to cut him, then they'd better have a viable alternative. You never know when he can properly help as a decoy, or start getting some kind of production. There's also the injury factor to consider, and the fact that we're only 1/2 way through a long year.

As far as Tate---didn't about 95% of the fanbase want him gone? What had he showed us, as far as anything in the WR game? In two yrs, he basically showed absolutely nothing, and had no chemistry with Brady whatsoever. There were serious rumors of him not being able to run the right routes. You would've wanted to keep Tate? To be honest, isn't Ochocinco currently on pace to almsot equal Tate's cataches from last yr with 22? (which is admittedly a stupid comparison, but it shows us just how much Tate didn't produce, although when targeted he did have YPC)

With 1/2 a season left, it is still quite possible that someone like Price or even Ochocinco can give us almost as much as Tate gave last yr.

While it may be proved that neither one of Price/Ochocinco are the answer, I really doubt that Tate was either.

Last edited:
I'd say this is a perfect analysis, which translates to no light at the end of the tunnel for this team. Not until major changes are made, both with personnel and at the coaching level.

AGREED!
Yup, that light in'da tunnel isn't a flashlight.......
It'sa ONCOMIN POWERFUL LOCOMOTIVE driven by BB so hit'da switch GENIUS and steer Pats clear of TOTAL DISASTER top to bottom!

They replayed all five passes on TV last night and it was odd to see the ball going off course by a little, but not catch-able on any of them. Even the out of bounds pass was not a possible reception because of where the ball was in relation to where 85 came out of his break.

Brady's passes were off the mark, while 85 wasn't in a spot to close on the ball except for the one out of bounds. It's like there is no chemistry between these guys. Branch and Brady connected on at least one identical route. With Branch, Welker, Gronk and Hernandez, Tom Brady just lets it rip. Not so with 85.

The fact is that Brady doesn't have time to wait for 85 to get open and then throw the ball. He has to throw it where 85 is going to be and 85's job is to be there in a position to catch the ball. They need to fix this if the plan is to throw 10% of the passes his way.

You're analysis is shared by many observers. On the flip side, doesn't every NFL QB have the challenge of throwing to the spot because time to throw/separation by the receiver leave a very small margin of error? Brady gets as much or more time than any other QB - our O-Line has been stable and consistent for the better part of the past 10years (shoot, they even made Visa commercials about it!).
If Ocho is the hard worker everyone says he is, then how long can it possibly take to get in sync? Does he have a learning disorder? Guys like Troy Brown, David Patten, and Branch never did and never will have Ocho's athleticism. Givens, Reche Caldwell, Gaffney and Welker seemed to make an immediate connection with Brady. Even Donte Stallworth was serviceable in the few reps he got in 2007. It seems like there are guys that Brady likes and trusts with whom he syncs well…and there are guys that never seem to catch on. Is it just me or does our system require a level of intimacy between QB and receiver that no other NFL team seems to ever achieve or require?
As an experiment, I'd love to see Ocho get picked up by the Steelers or the Packers and see what (if anything) he is able to do. Otherwise, he will always carry the label as a guy who just can't seem to "get it."

With 1/2 a season left, it is still quite possible that someone like Price or even Ochocinco can give us almost as much as Tate gave last yr.

While it may be proved that neither one of Price/Ochocinco are the answer, I really doubt that Tate was either.

Many feel Price was a healthy scratch - the hammy was just a cover-up.
Some feel BB did it to show BOB to shut his mouth to the media…seems like a stretch to me.
Regardless, I cannot comprehend why Price does not see the field more often.

My opinion...he had a better than ok game against the Giants.

He's gotta come off the line hard and beat man..if he does, that completely opens the door for everyone. His skill sets are required more now, than they were in the first half of the year.

You can bet our opponents DC's are gonna be throuwing lots of man at us. We gotta burn teams on that. If we do, more opportunities are going to open up for 81, 83, 84, and 87. 85, we need a solid game from you sooner rather than later.

We need ya man.

I honestly believe he is close...

You're analysis is shared by many observers. On the flip side, doesn't every NFL QB have the challenge of throwing to the spot because time to throw/separation by the receiver leave a very small margin of error? Brady gets as much or more time than any other QB - our O-Line has been stable and consistent for the better part of the past 10years (shoot, they even made Visa commercials about it!).
If Ocho is the hard worker everyone says he is, then how long can it possibly take to get in sync? Does he have a learning disorder? Guys like Troy Brown, David Patten, and Branch never did and never will have Ocho's athleticism. Givens, Reche Caldwell, Gaffney and Welker seemed to make an immediate connection with Brady. Even Donte Stallworth was serviceable in the few reps he got in 2007. It seems like there are guys that Brady likes and trusts with whom he syncs well…and there are guys that never seem to catch on. Is it just me or does our system require a level of intimacy between QB and receiver that no other NFL team seems to ever achieve or require?
As an experiment, I'd love to see Ocho get picked up by the Steelers or the Packers and see what (if anything) he is able to do. Otherwise, he will always carry the label as a guy who just can't seem to "get it."

On NFL Network Instant Replay last night they showed the Pats-Giants game and had audio of Brady sitting on the bench yelling at Ochocinco. I was ready for him to get ripped but Brady said "Keep working hard. You're doing fine. Keep working." Blew me away.

They believe in this guy. It would be nice if it clicked. The Patriots need a wrinkle on offense that pulls the safeties to the sidelines the way Branch does, and a guy they can trust running between the linebackers and the safeties to open up the middle a little more.

The offense (and special teams) are the reasons we are not leading the division. And the fault is not Ochocinco. He isn't responsible for all the turnovers. He doesn't return kicks.
=========
Ocho is working his butt off. He has the support of Brady and Belichick. We had hoped that Brady and Ocho would be on the same page by now, but it will happen. In the meantime, we need to focus on not fumbling in the passing and return game. We have no issues in the running game as long as Green-Ellis is starting.

The offense (and special teams) are the reasons we are not leading the division. And the fault is not Ochocinco. He isn't responsible for all the turnovers. He doesn't return kicks.
=========
Ocho is working his butt off. He has the support of Brady and Belichick. We had hoped that Brady and Ocho would be on the same page by now, but it will happen. In the meantime, we need to focus on not fumbling in the passing and return game. We have no issues in the running game as long as Green-Ellis is starting.

No, the defense pissing away 4th quarter leads in two games is the reason the Patriots are not leading the division.

The fact that Brady probably has tendonitis of some sort and consequently is not throwing much (if at all) in practice certainly slows development of the Brady-Ochocinco connection. We just have to keep plugging him in games to get him more reps and hope the connection develops to where it needs to be soon.

We definitely need him because Branch has completely regressed.

No, the defense pissing away 4th quarter leads in two games is the reason the Patriots are not leading the division.

They are leading the division.

They are leading the division.

They are tied for the division lead. That's a big difference, because tiebreakers are meaningless at this point. Furthermore, as should have been easy for you to see, that part of my post was a quote back to the person I was responding to.

Last edited:
They are tied for the division lead. That's a big difference, because tiebreakers are meaningless at this point. Furthermore, as should have been easy for you to see, that part of my post was a quote back to the person I was responding to.

They are meaningless, but the fact is they are not tied, they are number one.

and I didnt read the threads, these days all I do is hop to the end of threads to see what kind of argument has developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes