PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady: Not Surprised Welker Bolted

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the biggest load of B.S. I've ever heard. Synovia, really???

The Patriots moved on from Welker quite some time ago, and to say anything differently is just plain silly.

While the rest of the NFL circles threw around potential numbers such as 3/27 and 4/40, the Patriots:

1. Decided not to match DEN's offer of 2/12......it's highly reported that Welker and his reps went back to NE one final time after DEN's 2/12 offer, so they could have easily given him another million dollars making it a 2/11 offer instead of the ridiculous 2/10. By raising it another million dollars to 2/11, it likely would have prevented Welker from taking DEN's offer, especially since NE was offering more guaranteed money in the first year at 8.5m.

2. The fact that they highly pursued Danny Amendola from the legal tampering period on Saturday at midnight kind of spells out the writing on the wall pretty nicely. They never intended on keeping both Amendola and Welker. There's no way they were prepared to give them both 5m+ a year for primarily the same player in the slot. They damn well knew that Welker was moving on, and they didn't offer him anything close to "reasonable" for a player of his magnitude. Denver got a bargain, plain and simple.

Unless you're claiming that after many years of production, consistancy, and hard work without missing any days equates to your company suddenly deciding that you weren't worth much of anything, I fail to see the comparison on any level. Welker was one of the more prized offensive possessions of the free agent period. The Pats didn't decide to give Kyle Arrington 16 million dollars, or Danny Amendola 31 million dollars only to "offer" Wes Welker 10, while expecting him to actually take it....

I don't disagree or have a problem with the handling of the Welker negotiations, but let's call it like it was....the team wasn't preparing to keep Wes Welker on much of any level.

It was definitely primarily their decision to let him go. The guy was an iron clad tough guy here for 6 seasons, and led the NFL in total receptions during that time while rarely missing a game.

I understand the difference between the slot position and the outside position, but production is production. When players who are way less productive like Larry Fitzgerald are being paid 140 million dollars, Wes Welker was offered TEN by the N.England Patriots.

At the exact same time, they courted Danny Amendola from day one during the legal tampering period, which wasn't done for no good reason. The team had planned to move on, and that was that. They could've so easily offered him 2/11 instead of 2/10 and he very likely would have stayed here instead of going to Denver. It was more than obvious that Welker was holding on and hard as he could to try and stay here, but the team just wouldn't budge on any level from what everyone in their right mind sees as a pretty low offer.

The bottom line is that Belichick and the front office decided that one million more dollars, or even throwing in some additional incentives, weren't worth keeping Welker around, and that Amendola was the ideal candidate for the future--as told by their decision to give him a deal worth more than 3x as much as Welker. I think that pretty much says all we need to know about the situation.

Right on the money. Unlike you Sup I didn't like the way they handled it but getting Amendola and the other moves on offense and in free agency made it easier to take on the whole. Their offense is pretty much set for the rest of Brady's career and their defense is in the best shape it has been since the dynasty years. At this point the only real concern i have regarding Welker is how to stop Denver with him on the field, hopefully they come up with a way or they could end up in a huge shootout in the play-offs.

Right on the money. Unlike you Sup I didn't like the way they handled it but getting Amendola and the other moves on offense and in free agency made it easier to take on the whole.

You know what, I'd like to clarify that comment a bit. I DO have a bit of a problem with how they handled it, yes. I worded my thoughts incorrectly.

What I don't necessarily have a problem with is the nature of the business, and the fact that they decided to move on and go younger, etc. That I can fully understand.

I do actually find it a bit disrespectful that they didn't choose to go up 1 million dollars to 2/11 after everything that he's done here, but it just seems like they made the choice early on to pass on him. In all actuality, I believe that Welker wanted to stay here, and that he was hoping that they'd budge just a little bit.

There seems to be a small line between the nature of the business and the "disrespect" side, and when Kraft went public and stated that they'd do everything to keep him etc, it makes one wonder who really has more power with the team here? I think we all know the obvious answer to that, but I don't think we'd have seen this happen in this specific nature in about 30-31 out of the other 32 teams in the NFL.

I think that speaks volumes to how much the Krafts trust Bill Belichick, and it may even hint to Belichick being here a bit longer than we think, although that's just speculative.

At this point the only real concern i have regarding Welker is how to stop Denver with him on the field, hopefully they come up with a way or they could end up in a huge shootout in the play-offs.

Exactly. That is also my main concern, and one more intriguing part of the whole equation--the fact that it didn't seem to bother Belichick that DEN was the team that he was going to. One would think that should have possibly had more weight in the decision, but it doesn't appear that Belichick worries himself with those kinds of things.

Let's just hope it all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back