PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady, not Rodgers is MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless GB drops a few games out of nowhere and Brady goes on a ridic hot streak to close out the regular season then the award is clearly Rodgers'

Brady, Brees & Rodgers should all be about on the same level this year, IMO.

I've documented in several threads what a joke schedule Rodgers has faced in terms of pass defenses, but apparently no one in the media has taken notice yet. They've faced the absolute worst of the worst that the league has to offer, especially if you look at opposing QB rating.

Add to that the sheer amount of weapons he has, and I think it detracts from his case.

I've watched Brees the last few weeks and he's more dialed in than anyone.

Brady's first few weeks were as good as I've seen anyone play QB, but whether it was injuries or offensive personnel issues, he did slump.

Rodgers will, and maybe should, win. But strength of opponent will catch up to that team in the postseason. They'll get a rude awakening when they actually play a team that isn't horrendous against the pass.

Sagarin has strength of schedule rankings
Pats..24th
GB....28th
NO....30th

I guess you can argue that because NO and GB played each other, that alone boosts there low ranking
Verses Top 10 ranked teams (Sagarin)

GB....3-0
NO....3-1
NE....2-1

vs Top 16

GB...5-0
NO...4-1
NE...4-1

PS....I use Sagarin because I see a nice correlation between their metrics and actual scores of games

lmao that article is filling up with some pretty negative comments.

the brady is a system QB one and that brady has 20 minutes to throw just arrived.

I didn't bother to look, but that's basically what gets filled up in the comment section of any and every article about Brady on a national site, isn't it?

And then of course if any of those very same sites have a pro-Belichick article, the very same readers fill the comment section with how the only reason Belichick wins is because of how good Brady is.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

The question I have (which has yet to be answered) to those that throw out that lame 'system QB' line is this: if it is that simple yet so effective, why aren't the 31 other teams doing the same thing with identical production on offense?

Last edited:
The question I have (which has yet to be answered) to those that throw out that lame 'system QB' line is this: if it is that simple yet so effective, why aren't the 31 other teams doing the same thing with identical production on offense?

Isn't it obvious?

No other team would stoop to such lows to steal a system, or plays from another team. Ever

That is reserved for scum like belicheat

Isn't it obvious?

No other team would stoop to such lows to steal a system, or plays from another team. Ever

That is reserved for scum like belicheat

Just mention the West Coast offense.

Sagarin has strength of schedule rankings
Pats..24th
GB....28th
NO....30th

I guess you can argue that because NO and GB played each other, that alone boosts there low ranking
Verses Top 10 ranked teams (Sagarin)

GB....3-0
NO....3-1
NE....2-1

vs Top 16

GB...5-0
NO...4-1
NE...4-1

PS....I use Sagarin because I see a nice correlation between their metrics and actual scores of games

That's strength of schedule altogether. That's less relevant to me. I want to know how Rodgers fares against elite pass D's. So far this year, he's only played two above average pass defenses - Lions (without Suh some of the way) & Bears - and the Packers put up under 30 each time.

The numbers I have been showing are purely pass defense related, and go to passer rating, which is a much better indicator than say yards.

Green Bay has faced truly awful pass defenses (Vikings two times, Chargers, Bucs, Panthers, Broncos, Rams).

Last edited:
I wish everyone who said that would tell me 1) exactly what offensive system the Patriots run, 2) how it's changed over the years, and 3) how it's different than other offensive systems.

If they can't answer that maybe they can grasp the concept that BB did a much better job of training Matt Cassell than the Colts did Curtis Painter.

Thats one of the stupidest arguments ever heard, usually brought up by Jets fans. Everytime I hear that I want to stick an ice pick through my ear drum.

Tom is still in a class of his own that we've become accustomed to him doing great things we just see it as another season where we win yet Brady is having a historic year.

That's strength of schedule altogether. That's less relevant to me. I want to know how Rodgers fares against elite pass D's. So far this year, he's only played two above average pass defenses - Lions (without Suh some of the way) & Bears - and the Packers put up under 30 each time.

The numbers I have been showing are purely pass defense related, and go to passer rating, which is a much better indicator than say yards.

Green Bay has faced truly awful pass defenses (Vikings two times, Chargers, Bucs, Panthers, Broncos, Rams).

It's funny how how points are all that matters when explaining the Patriots defense....but yards are most important when disecting Rodgers abilities.

Both Brees and Brady have lost games for their squads due to brutal INTs...Rodgers has been perfect for 12 games. What else do you need.

A league MVP has never won a superbowl. Give it to rodgers please

Is there something I'm missing? Kurt Warner in 1999 and Joe Montana in 1989 won league MVP and the SB those years.

Regards,
Chris

Thats one of the stupidest arguments ever heard, usually brought up by Jets fans. Everytime I hear that I want to stick an ice pick through my ear drum.

Do the world a favor and stick the ice pick in their ear drums:D

Can't say I can agree with this article. For reference QB rating for common opponents TB vs Rodgers:

Code:
     TB     AR
SD  135.7 145.8
NYG  75.4 106.2

Sadly the sample size is too small for any real comparison, but it does appear that Rodgers is outperforming TB by a bit. I think the thing that's really setting him apart right now is how consistent he's been. However there's still 4 games left, and as we saw in 07 things tend to get harder rather than easier, and if he slips up this could easily turn into a real race. If Rodgers keeps this up though he'll clearly be the MVP.

Last edited:
Is there something I'm missing? Kurt Warner in 1999 and Joe Montana in 1989 won league MVP and the SB those years.

Regards,
Chris

Yes, it has been done multiple times.

I think the poster was confused. I believe that the stat he was looking for is that No quarterback has led the league in passing yards and won the Super Bowl in the same season.

link to facts backing up that assertion: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=6364

Only two QBs that finished #2 in yards have won the SB.
1999 - Kurt Warner (83 yards behind Steve Beuerlein)
2006 - Peyton Manning (21 yards behind Drew Brees)
Those are also the first two dome teams to ever win the SB.

Last edited:
Being the MVP is nice and all but we all know we wouldn't mind Brady being SB MVP.;)

It's funny how how points are all that matters when explaining the Patriots defense....but yards are most important when disecting Rodgers abilities.

Both Brees and Brady have lost games for their squads due to brutal INTs...Rodgers has been perfect for 12 games. What else do you need.

Please re-read my post. I said I did NOT take yards into account. Rather opposing QB passer rating, a much more accurate stat.

As for INTs, sure - that's a huge thing. But a huge chunk of Brady's picks have been tipped balls, even his own receivers. Another one was a bad route by Ocho.

If we arent calling Welker and Gronk superstars than really there are probably on 4 superstars on the Pats and Pack combined. Wilfork, Brady, Rodgers, and Woodson. I would say Welker and Gronk at that level and I would say several other Packers are as well.

If we arent calling Welker and Gronk superstars than really there are probably on 4 superstars on the Pats and Pack combined. Wilfork, Brady, Rodgers, and Woodson. I would say Welker and Gronk at that level and I would say several other Packers are as well.

Since when is Vince Wilfork a superstar? Sorry but he's not in a glamor position in this league. Ngata is right up there with Wilfork and he isn't a superstar either. Id say the only superstar at DT in this league is Suh and its because of his marketability. Chrysler, Subway, ****s etc. Superstar= combination of play and marketability. You won't see anybody outside of Brady or maybe welker on anything outside of a Patriots game or highlight.

Last edited:
Difference between star and superstar, Welker is barely a superstar depending on criteria, everyone else isn't close.
1. Welker has claims to being the best Wide Receiver in the NFL. He's a superstar.
2. Gronkowski IS the best Tight End in the NFL. He's a superstar.
3. Wilfork has claims to being the best Nose Tackle or one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL. He's a superstar. Ngata and Vince are stars. People recognize without them, the defenses they play in simply do not go.
4. Mayo has claims to being one of the best inside/middle linebackers in the NFL. Definite star.

It's a silly article and should be accepted as such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back