PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady NOT at passing camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewwho

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I read in the Globe that Brady missed a mandatory passing camp for veterans this week. He was playing golf with some x-Presidents.

Anyone else hear this!?!? Seems strange for Brady!

Drewwho said:
I read in the Globe that Brady missed a mandatory passing camp for veterans this week. He was playing golf with some x-Presidents.

Oh, jeez. Now Felger and Gresh will have Brady and Branch both holding out for more money while the Pats play "hardball" in their typical cold and heartless manner.

Drewwho said:

Are you sure that it's "mandatory" ? According to Reiss it's a voluntary passing camp. :confused:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
* A veteran passing camp, which is classified as an NFL organized team activity (OTA), is scheduled for next week. NFL teams are allowed up to 14 days of OTAs, which are voluntary for players.

The only thing he had listed as mandatory was the mini camp scheduled for June 13-14.

No it wasn't mandatory. I wish people would get their facts straight before posting sh!t.

BelichickFan said:
No it wasn't mandatory. I wish people would get their facts straight before posting sh!t.
Still... it seems very unusual for Brady, doesn't it? We've heard all about his extra and early work at Gillette citing avoiding a repeat of last years results as a motivation.

Am I totally insane thinking that this could be Brady being a good team player, sitting out of the voluntary camp to devalue Branch's hold out, or make it seem like it's not a big deal? Brady 'running' passing camp and thowing balls to every reciever on the roster except for his #1 is kind of a big deal, no? Less of a big deal if he's not there either?

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
Am I totally insane thinking that this could be Brady being a good team player, sitting out of the voluntary camp to devalue Branch's hold out, or make it seem like it's not a big deal? Brady 'running' passing camp and thowing balls to every reciever on the roster except for his #1 is kind of a big deal, no? Less of a big deal if he's not there either?

You're insane, yes. But most of the time you're a good poster so we'll let it slide. Brady is out because he's out. I don't think it matters. Maybe this gives Cassel a lot more reps, gives them a chance to see Mortenson and Bramlet. I would read NOTHING into it beyond that - certainly not any kind of temper for Branch's crappy little "statement."

Andy Gresh is a Jabba the Hutt look-a-like that should go by the name of Blabba the Gutt...there is no bigger idiot in sports talk radio nor will there ever be.

patsox23 said:
You're insane, yes. But most of the time you're a good poster so we'll let it slide. Brady is out because he's out. I don't think it matters. Maybe this gives Cassel a lot more reps, gives them a chance to see Mortenson and Bramlet. I would read NOTHING into it beyond that - certainly not any kind of temper for Branch's crappy little "statement."
Yep it probably went something like :

Brady "Hey Bill, is it OK if I play golf next week ?"
Belichick "Sure, get yourself ready for the mandatory camp the following week".

"Taking a pass
The Patriots are conducting a veteran passing camp at Gillette Stadium this week as part of their ``organized team activities." NFL teams are allowed 14 days of OTAs, which are voluntary. Quarterback Tom Brady and receiver Deion Branch were among the players not present. Brady was playing golf yesterday with former Presidents Bush and Clinton in Kennebunkport, Maine. Branch has participated in the camp in recent years, and one line of thinking is that he might be disappointed in the lack of progress toward a contract extension. The Patriots' lone mandatory minicamp is scheduled for next Tuesday and Wednesday, so Branch's feelings could be better known at that point."

The Globe clearly indicated it was a voluntary OTA, and just because Tommy wasn't there on Tuesday doesn't mean he wasn't there today. Brady is occasionally excused (in part because he out works most of his teamates) to attend to his presidential or papal committments. :rolleyes:

If there is one player on this team I would never worry about it is Brady. Considering he had surgery in the off season I doubt they want him overdoing it - with a mandatory veteran mini-camp next week to boot. I'm sure Cassel and Bramlet and probably even Mortenson were not stretched too thin throwing to our handful of WR's and half dozen TE's.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Still... it seems very unusual for Brady, doesn't it? We've heard all about his extra and early work at Gillette citing avoiding a repeat of last years results as a motivation.

I agree with Patsox, you're usually a good poster. Cripes. Brady is out because he had the chance of a lifetime to meet two ex-Presidents. I think I might have missed a June non-mandatory passing camp. He also is coming off sports hernia surgery. Come on people. Chill! (I say with respect and no malice):).

Bostonian1962 said:
I agree with Patsox, you're usually a good poster. Cripes. Brady is out because he had the chance of a lifetime to meet two ex-Presidents. I think I might have missed a June non-mandatory passing camp. He also is coming off sports hernia surgery. Come on people. Chill! (I say with respect and no malice):).

I wasn't trying to start anything. I was just curious if it was in fact a mandatory camp. I could have sworn I read that in the Globe.

I guess I had my facts messed up and I am sorry to offend Brady Nation!

I'll bet Bob Kraft didn't have any problem with Brady hanging with the ex presidents.

patsfan13 said:
I'll bet Bob Kraft didn't have any problem with Brady hanging with the ex presidents.

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_157153119.html

It was not just a golf outing, it was also fund-raising event "to raise money to support Gary's House, which is affiliated with Mercy Hospital in Portland [to] provide a place for families to stay while loved ones are being treated".

Last edited:
mikey said:
It was not just a golf outing, it was also fund-raising event "to raise money to support Gary's House, which is affiliated with Mercy Hospital in Portland [to] provide a place for families to stay while loved ones are being treated".

Not overly surprising then that he was allowed to skip a day or two.

MoLewisrocks said:
"Brady was playing golf yesterday with former Presidents Bush and Clinton in Kennebunkport"

In an ugly turn of events, the ever competitive Brady lost his composure and began chewing out his presidential golf partners after they both 3 putted to lose the match. Secret Service agents intervened and pulled Brady away as he screamed about hating to lose.

Bostonian1962 said:
I agree with Patsox, you're usually a good poster. Cripes. Brady is out because he had the chance of a lifetime to meet two ex-Presidents.
Okay, okay.... so I lost my mind for a moment. But come on! "Chance of a lifetime"? Those two duffers probably have Brady on speed dial and he probably dodges half their calls. :D

Oh no, it must be because of a contract dispute. Why not? That is what everybody is saying about Branch. I havn't heard anything from Branch or his agent about a contract holdout, so why not assume that Brady is now doing it too?

BelichickFan said:
If they got their facts straight, what they posted wouldn't be ####. :D

Bah, Tom meets presidents all the time. I'm surprised he wouldn't be at the passing camp. Either way, it's interesting how it's a big deal that Branch skips the camp but for Brady it's ok because he can do whatever he wants.

BelichickFan said:
Yep it probably went something like :

Brady "Hey Bill, is it OK if I play golf next week ?"
Belichick "Sure, get yourself ready for the mandatory camp the following week".
He also did a stint for the MAKE-A-WISH foundation. I saw it on NFL Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back