PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady needs to stop whining too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did it ever occur to you that 3.1 yds/carry is the same on
a 50yd field as it is on 100yd field?

It is still bad ..... and against a team that has allowed 4.3yd/carry average!

Without half of their rushing offense! If you take out a 624 yd. rusher from the offense, what do you expect? Dillon and Maroney need to work together to achieve the best possible results. Besides, the running game did what it needed on Sunday - control the clock. Time of possession is pivotal in the playoffs, and the Pats had over a 10 minute advantage Sunday.

JR4 said:
Pitiful ... and take away KF's 43 pass for TD the yds/pass were poor
at about 4.5/yds per completion!

God forbid an offense comes to together to score on a big play!

Get your facts straight too. The yds/completion was around 7. Again, I'd prefer a steady dose of short passes to control the ball (a la 2003) than taking chances with deeper passes.

If you're so concerned about the "inconsistent" offense and its yds./completion, here are the weekly totals - note the relative consistency:

4.7 <--- @ Mia
8.75 <--- vs. Mia

JR4 said:
Defense won that game by making almost impossible for the offense NOT to score points. But they tried.....
.... how many FGs did they have to settle for?

The Patriots had to "settle" for 31 Vinatieri field goals in 2004. 25 in 2003, too.

The Patriots, this year, have "settled" for 17 Gostkowski field goals.

JR4 said:
PATs won .... yeah but ... take off your Homer glasses ... it wasn't very good offensively.

But the defense and special teams stepped up to win by the largest margin in Gillette Stadium history.

VERY rarely will you see a team click on all three cylinders - offense, defense, and special teams.

While the offense didn't shine Sunday, the special teams scored their first points of the year.

In the 2004-5 playoffs, against the Colts, the offense wasn't anything spectacular (20 points). However, the defense stepped up and held the Colts to 3 points.

The next week against the Steelers, the defense gave up 27 points. The 2006 Patriots have only given up that many once, a loss to the Colts. However, the offense stepped up and scored 41 points, only 1 more than the Pats scored yesterday.

As NFL Films said, "the Patriots are like the electric company. They can shut you down or light you up at the flip of a switch."

My point? A team doesn't need to be constantly clicking on all cylinders to go deep into the playoffs and win Super Bowls.

And if you, JR4, believe the Pats' offense hasn't stepped it up enough and use Sunday's game as an example, I'll offer you the scores of the Packers, Lions, Vikings, Bills (A), and Bengals games.

If you believe the defense hasn't stepped it up enough either, I'll offer you the scores of the Texans, Packers, Vikings, Bills (A), Dolphins (H), and Bengals games.

JR4 said:
Brady was right ... this team is too inconsistent to expect very much in post season. I think it may be too late to turn it around.
But miracles do happen:)

It would take a miracle for the Titans to win a Super Bowl.

It would NOT take a miracle for the Patriots to win a Super Bowl.

I heard him and Brady was spot on. Like Boomer, he said that there needed to be improvement and consistencey to win in the playoffs. He said that the next 2 weeks we'd see just how ready this 2006 team is for the playoffs. Should be revealing.

This takes nothing away from yesterday's fine win. Unfortunately, we will not be playing the Texans in the playoffs.

Did it ever occur to you the short field was the source of the low yardage? It's tough to run for hundreds of yards when doing so would put the line of scrimmage in the parking lot each drive.

I can't believe how insane things have become here.

Brady wasn't really talking about the Texans game when he was talking about consistency, although he was quite pleased that, for this game, they put a halt to the mistakes.

But he was very upfront about the lack of consistency by the offense this season as a whole, and that includes games that featured Maroney and Watson.

So I don't think even Brady would agree that the offense is "fine" just because Maroney and Watson are back.

The point here is that, as we approach the playoffs, its appropriate to discuss areas in which the team needs to improve if we're going to contend for a Super Bowl.

Quite a few members here take offense that other members would make comments that are not solely positive about the team following a win against the Texans.

That's rediculous, and even Brady seems to have a grip on reality.

Heard Brady this morning on his WEEI interview.
It's gamesmanship talk. Do you believe Brady and BB when they talk about how good the Lions were? And Texans? There are certain things players, especially Patriots players, always say, and one of them is that we need to improve.

Don't take too much out of it. He has faith in his offense.

Quite a few members here take offense that other members would make comments that are not solely positive about the team following a win against the Texans.

No, what is ridiculous is stupid comments for the sake of being negative. There are a number of things, offensively and defensively, not to mention Walter, that concern me. But you know this BS is left over from the slop yesterday and that thread was totally BS.

I don't think he's whining at all, just telling the truth. This was the first game without us turning the ball over since October. The O has been inconsistent, which is what I took Brady to mean. We have to be consistent or we're not going far. I like that the players know they aren't playing perfect football and want to continue to improve.

Get your facts straight too. The yds/completion was around 7. ......../quote]

I believe I wrote take away Faulks catch and run for 43yds.
Thus you got 66/15 which is in FACT about 4.5yds/completion.

Brady wasn't really talking about the Texans game when he was talking about consistency, although he was quite pleased that, for this game, they put a halt to the mistakes.

But he was very upfront about the lack of consistency by the offense this season as a whole, and that includes games that featured Maroney and Watson.

So I don't think even Brady would agree that the offense is "fine" just because Maroney and Watson are back.

The point here is that, as we approach the playoffs, its appropriate to discuss areas in which the team needs to improve if we're going to contend for a Super Bowl.

Brady's goal, Kight's goal, Bruschi's goal, Belichick's goal, Brian Daboll's goal is to constantly get better than they are. Be more consistent. If you scored 10 points one week, make it 20 the next. If you gave up 10 points one week, make it 0 the next.

That's where Brady comes from. The team as a whole avoids complacency every step of the way.

That kind of "it could still be better" criticism is fine to me.

But as soon as fans nitpick a 40-7 blowout win and say, because of one unit's play, the team won't win in the playoffs (even if it doesn't go as far as Jacky Robert's "The Pats have no shot" bull****), that's when me and others get frustrated. I attempt to put it all in perspective to the Super Bowl winning seasons that many have made into these untouchable years with dominance and no problems comparable to the problems of this season. That's untrue.

Get your facts straight too. The yds/completion was around 7. ......../quote]

I believe I wrote take away Faulks catch and run for 43yds.
Thus you got 66/15 which is in FACT about 4.5yds/completion.

Take away those worthless big-yardage scoring plays and a lot of teams would have yds./completions that wouldn't satisfy you.

Why Not? you are contradicting yourself. You keep pointing out those stats that have us 2nd with this, 3rd with that, the best this in the NFL and the best that..so why the hell cant we win four playof games?

I, for one, think we will win it all this season, even with the deficiency at OC.

Agreed - while I don't believe our offense is even as good as in 2002 (Brady did not play in 2000 BelichickFan, even though he was on the team) I don't think our offense NEEDs to be that good if the Defense can get healthy and continue to dominate.

They can't make the same mistakes and turnovers they have been but they don't need to play at 2002-2005 levels either.

My opinion about this offense has less to do with statistical analysis and more to do with what I see, and the lack of confidence among the receivers.

As I said on another thread, with the Patriots offense - and the WRs specifically, it was always about making the tough catch at the toughest times - against all odds, to give the team the yardage it absolutely had to have to win the game.

It was an air of confidence that the guys on the field would make things happen - and wouldn't drop a pass or tip a ball at the wrong time. The players all felt this and we did too.

It was the ability to flip the switch and play at a higher level when the team truly needed the receivers to shine.

That's the main difference that I've seen between this and previous years of the Brady era - there's not one stat that can prove or disprove we need that element in our game - but in our guts we all know that's the case as of now.

That's something that I still remain hopeful the team can regain before the playoffs - but at the very least, if they stop turning the ball over, and are able to make some long catches to keep the D more honest, that would be enough in my mind to have them contend in every game, even if the WRs aren't top tier.

Why Not? you are contradicting yourself. You keep pointing out those stats that have us 2nd with this, 3rd with that, the best this in the NFL and the best that..so why the hell cant we win four playof games?
Because we can't go more than 2 or 3 games without massive turnovers.

Agreed - while I don't believe our offense is even as good as in 2002 (Brady did not play in 2000 BelichickFan, even though he was on the team)
Thanks - do you think I'm s f*cking idiot ? (don't answer than, NEM).

I said the worst since 2000. Which means 2001 until now. Which is the Brady era. Which is what that rogue thread was about.

IF they make the playoffs, because as of now they have clinched nothing. I believe they will, but as of now.....zilch.

Yes, I also think we make the playoffs. I see at least one more W this regular season, the game against Tenn. I'm concerned about how poorly our offense matches up against Jvill's excellent pressure the QB and cover the wideouts D. I'm certain that our D can handle Jvill. Just not sure how many points our O can score. Also concerned about our O turning the ball over. If we beat Jvill with the O carrying its weight, that is a nice sign for the playoffs. The Tenn game might be irrelevant depending upon the 4 seed vs 3 seed scenarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back