PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Brady may be out of Super magic"

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOU don't have to provide ANYTHING for me. Richpats claimed the Pats would be 2-9 but for Brady in 2005 and I asked HIM to provide me with ANY evidence to support THAT claim. He can provide the evidence and demonstrate that his statement is something other than homerism or he can not provide the evidence and prove that it is nothing more than homerism. His choice....quite irrelevant to me. I don't care whether my estimation is "good enough" for you, I provided it to show the basis of my opinion, a typical gesture when having a rational discussion.

But I think we have to have more than individual assessments to make this discussion work. How are we to judge the guy? All we can use in this forum are numbers/stats and specific plays from specific games. The idea of having a discussion about Brady's performance is appealing, and there is no need for "homerism" to get in the way. But I think you are overstating his decline, and we need to hash out some specifics here.

Your support for Bulger is interesting. His stats are very appealing, and we could probably work up some raw numbers in a QB-comparison. But I think we also need to consider the groundrules for interpreting those numbers--e.g., a Bulger-Brady QB-comparison for 2006 should include what stats in particular? What other factors (coaching, receiver play, wins) can be considered?

As for your Yankees point, I'm not sure what comparisons can be made between the two teams other than they both won multiple championships over a short period of time. Do you mean that decisions the Yankees made that led to their 'downfall' (let's not go crazy here and act like they fell off the face of the Earth, and this is a Sox fan speaking) are similiar to decisions the Pats have made? I don't see that, as I think the two organizations are run in completely different ways, aside from the fact that comparisons are difficult when you're talking about two different sports.

Agreed on the Yankees--sure they have not won any World Series in a while, but can any rational person consider them to have declined markedly? They win the East and are competing in the playoffs every year! They are always among the best teams in the league!

Yeah, but is Brady better than Bulger - that's the question. I'd take Bulger.

And with that reply...there went what little credibility you may have thought you had.

Brady's numbers are amazingly consistent throughout his career - take a good look at TD/Int ratio, QB % & overall ratings.

But numbers mean very little to me...Championships are what count. Smart money says that when Tom Brady is ready to hang 'em up - he will be the greatest of all time.

Last edited:
just so everyone knows. the season is over. we didn't execute on either side of the ball. NEM all you do is blame the offensive coordinator from weiss to mcdaniel. and don't tell me you don't.

I don't know if faulk and dillon were both hurt but the 3rd and 4 play with 2:27 left was huge. Run the delayed draw and milk some time off the clock. worse case you punt. however if you do get the 2 to 3 yards. It's the 2 minute warning. COlts have one timeout I believe. Maybe you risk it being in your own territory and go for it on forth down.

just my 2 cents.

Make it go away stop no more AFC Championship talk.. its the worse loss in Pats history we know we know we know.. AHHHHHHHH

ah...sorry, but Brady has been a significant part of the reason the Pats have missed the SB the last two years. His pick in the Denver game totally changed the complexion of that game. Troy Brown bailed him out of another horrendous pick in the SD game (as did the Chargers DBs stone hands). Then, while the best QB in the NFL is moving his team up and down the field at will, even when he's getting sacked and knocked down, Brady, with LOTS OF TIME, cannot even get TDs on the Pats last two drives, cannot pick up FOUR yards on a third down and worse, throws a pick to end the game when there's a wide open receiver available. Brady's play was average this year (with sprinklings of poor throughout) and I'm glad that it's being recognised rather than the media trying to sell this nonsense that Brady is great because he has "three rings". I like Brady, but if the Pats had Bulger last Sunday, the Pats are in the SB and I would be able to watch sports programming.

ROFLMAO

Marc Bulger!

ROFLMAO

Seriously, I haven't had a belly laugh like this in a while. Thanks, troll!

Last edited:
Yeah, but is Brady better than Bulger - that's the question. I'd take Bulger.

ROFLMAO!

Again, with the Marc Bulger bit...

Classic.

Last edited:
You're not Drew Bledsoe, you're Jason Sehorn!

Seriously, we're just on opposite ends of the argument regarding Brady and won't be bridging the gap any time soon.

There is being pessimistic, and then there is drowning yourself in despair, and I think your viewpoint is the latter. So the Patriots won't improve next year, and on top of that the draft is probably going to be useless? And what is "recent draft picks"? Chad Jackson? I think the Patriots recent draft picks have been far more successful than they have been unsuccesful. That should be a bright point, not a mark against them.

As for your Yankees point, I'm not sure what comparisons can be made between the two teams other than they both won multiple championships over a short period of time. Do you mean that decisions the Yankees made that led to their 'downfall' (let's not go crazy here and act like they fell off the face of the Earth, and this is a Sox fan speaking) are similiar to decisions the Pats have made? I don't see that, as I think the two organizations are run in completely different ways, aside from the fact that comparisons are difficult when you're talking about two different sports.

I'm probably overly pessimistic but this is because I do not see a basis for predicting improvement. It's akin to my belief at the start of this season that the Dolphins were not going to be a SB contender. I didn't see a basis to make that assumption and it turned out that I was correct (although I could have been proven to be incorrect). Similarly, what would be your basis to predict improvement on Brady's part? The main problems with Brady's play were poor throws and poor decision making. Unless it's revealed that he had an injury or unless the Pats decide to hire a full time QB coach, then I don't see a basis, currently, to predict improvement of that aspect of his game. I also don't see a basis to predict improvement in the most troubling aspect of his game - his poor decision making. The reason I say this is because poor decision making is something that can be fixed once the individual is aware of it. Brady appears to be aware of the fact that he's forcing balls into receivers and yet he still continues to do this...over the course of a season now.

The Patriots offensive inconsistency and inability to adjust to defenses has also been an ongoing problem and has shown no signs of real improvement throughout the season. What do you know that suggests that this will be fixed during the offseason...particularly when one considers that a large part of the inconsistency was due to the playcalling and the play of the Oline and RBs. I don't think we are going to get new Oline players, running backs, a new Oline coach or a new offensive coordinator. Maroney regressed, instead of progressing, near the end of the season, so there's no basis to believe he's going to improve. Dillon will be a year older. So, again, I'm not seeing the basis for optimism

The Patriots D is old and SLOW. Our most realistic pick up at linebacker seems to be Fletcher who is ALSO OLD. We might lose Samuel which would leave one of our corner spots weaker than it was this year. Rodney will be a year older. Eugene seems to have left his best years behind him. I'm just not seeing where there will be much improvement with this group. Ditto with the special teams which seem to be getting worse each year despite efforts to improve it. Another big problem on defense and special teams is tackling, which also seems to be getting worse each year. If this problem, which was obvious in 2005, wasn't fixed in 2006...what has changed to suggest that it will be fixed in 2007? Nothing, in my opinion, which is why I don't expect improvement.

Our drafts in 2005 & 2006 produced Mankins, Gostkowski and Hobbs as the only consistent impact players and Mankins & Gost were the only ones good enough to be starters as a rookie. So, I'm not expecting to get any impact players from this upcoming draft. Servicable players...certainly, but not impact players who would make an instant, significant improvement to the Patriots team.

I use the Yankees as a comparison mostly because of the way the Patriots have lost the past two years - by doing unPatriot like things (i.e. turnovers/blowing big leads) and the changing composition of the Patriots team (poor tackling/dumb penalties). This is also how the Yankees started losing - by doing unYankee like things such as shoddy defense and lousy pitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down