PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady-Manning: the greatest NFL QB rivalry of all-time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Both have led their teams to unprecedented success, put up unprecedented statistics, and are hands-down the two best of their generation. Due to the NFL's scheduling, the Patriots and Colts play almost every year (as long as they finish the same place in divisional standings.) Three epic playoff battles, a back-and-forth crowning of the NFL's best by public opinion.

Although Brady and Manning don't technically play against each other (since offense plays against defense), do they have the most celebrated rivalry in NFL history?

Can you think of a pair of quarterbacks whose head-to-head games were followed as closely, who were compared so frequently, and who's teams were as good?

A lot of great QBs have played in the same generation (Montana, Elway, Marino) but didn't go head to head very often.

Last edited:
In the regular season, sure.

Postseason comparisons are crazy though.

7-8 vs. 14-3, despite very similar regular season W-L marks. Tom shines, Peyton gags.

In terms of head-to-head regular season matchups it would only be matched by great QBs from the same division, none of which come to mind as being in the class of Brady all around or Manning in the regular season. Theismann vs. Staubach was a nice battle but only 3 yrs or so of overlap with both as starters.

Last edited:
In the regular season, sure.

Postseason comparisons are crazy though.

7-8 vs. 14-3, despite very similar regular season W-L marks. Tom shines, Peyton gags

All the more reason why it is fun to compare and contrast.

Manning was a purebred NFL quarterback with rich bloodlines, a Heisman trophy candidate, and the #1 overall pick.

Brady was, of course, an unknown average Joe quarterback considered to be a #3 in the NFL.

Off the top of my head, without looking at the article, I thought of Unitas-Namath, and Staubach-Bradshaw.

Brady and Manning meet in the regular season though, so that would put them higher.

I was sad when the Colts left our division nearly a decade ago and even more sad considering from where the top two QBs reside.

Imagine NE and the Colts as they are now in the same division?

It would almost not be fair to the two other schmuck teams that would most certainly have to vie for 3rd and 4th place in the East every year.

I'm happy we don't have to vie with them every year for the division title. Its hard enough battling for homefield and byes

This wasn't a rivalry, because Unitas was much older. Great game, though, watched every minute. Unitas threw for about 370 yards, but Namath threw for almost 500 (496) and six touchdowns.

Oh yeah, I forgot. He wasn't that good.:rolleyes:

Montana was better than both these guys but if you want to ask which QB is better Manning or Peyton, you should not be able to decide easily ... to me its 1A and 1B,both are HOFers in thier own way and both are best at knowing how to win.

Off the top of my head, without looking at the article, I thought of Unitas-Namath, and Staubach-Bradshaw.

Brady and Manning meet in the regular season though, so that would put them higher.

Brady vs. Manning is good for the network that is broadcasting the game.

Now wait a minute...what about that great Y.A. Tittle/Sonny Jurgenson rivalry? Why my bony little friends, I remember when football was played by REAL men on frozen fields using the merest of equipment....bloody ,unforgiving brawls where the victor was usually the last man standing...yes..these were times of GIANT men with indomitable wills who.... blah blah blah.... palaver... drone on... drone on....

sorry...I get carried away some times

Unitas - Namath wasn't much of a rivalry. They met the 1st time in SB3, and only played against each other a few times.

I would say Unitas - Starr was a better rivalry, as the Baltimore Colts and Packers were always neck and neck for the title in the 60's.

Can you think of a pair of quarterbacks whose head-to-head games were followed as closely, who were compared so frequently, and who's teams were as good?

A lot of great QBs have played in the same generation (Montana, Elway, Marino) but didn't go head to head very often.

Dan Marino vs Jim Kelly was a huge one, no superbowls for either though.
Steve Young vs Troy Aikman was also huge and both those guys were successful.

Still Brady vs Manning is huge. I'm trying to be fair here and not be a homer but its hard. I'd have to honestly say that Young vs Aikman was just as big consdering how successful both were.

To me, it's always been Bradshaw-Staubach.

In the nine seasons between 71 and 79, one or both of them appeared in six of nine SB's. They went head to head in SB's X and XIII, with Bradshaw winning both times.

The guy who suffered most from this was Fran Tarkenton, who was a great QB who had the misfortune to have his career overlap with two of "the Greats."

Montana was better than both these guys but if you want to ask which QB is better Manning or Peyton, you should not be able to decide easily ... to me its 1A and 1B,both are HOFers in thier own way and both are best at knowing how to win.

Hmmm, I can't decide if Manning is better than Peyton or Peyton is better than Manning. This does give me something to think about though since I've never thought about it until now. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes